Husker's new opponet

Is everyone really worried about SOS or general perception?

Folks, we've got USC IN THE COLISEUM!!!

Win that game, and we don't have to worry about the rest of the non-conference schedule.

Personally, I'd much rather come out of those four games at 3-1 or 4-0 rather than 2-2.

And the Big 12 schedule (at Ames, at K-State, UT here) is going to be tough enough.

Ball State adds Nebraska to 2007 football schedule

MUNCIE, Ind. - Ball State continued to upgrade its nonconference football lineup Wednesday with the addition of Nebraska to its 2007 schedule.

The Cardinals, who play in the Mid-American Conference, previously scheduled Indiana, Purdue and Michigan for the 2006 season and Navy in 2007 and 2008.

"Nebraska is one of the most storied programs in the history of college football," Ball State coach Brady Hoke said. "Ball State has consistently played quality non-conference opponents. This will be a great opportunity to play in Lincoln, Neb., against one of the most tradition-rich programs in the nation."

The game is set for Sept. 22, 2007.

Nebraska was 8-4 last season after a 32-28 victory over

Seriously, this is ridiculuous. We're not going to get any respect if we continue to schedule these Division II puff cakes. I don't care if we have Texas and USC to play next year....we should schedule better quality opponents. It's embarrassing IMO. Next thing you know, we'll be playing Mount Union - Division III, then...who knows...Lincoln Southeast. Anyone excited about this?!? Aaaaaargh....

I think most all Nebraska fans would rather not play any 1-AA teams, but i would bet money that SP is having issues trying to get anyone to come to Lincoln and play. Anyone have a list of all 1-A teams that have an open date the same day Nichols State was scheduled for?

Seriously, this is ridiculuous.  We're not going to get any respect if we continue to schedule these Division II  puff cakes.  I don't care if we have Texas and USC to play next year....we should schedule better quality opponents.  It's embarrassing IMO. Next thing you know, we'll be playing Mount Union  - Division III, then...who knows...Lincoln Southeast.  Anyone excited about this?!? Aaaaaargh....

I think most all Nebraska fans would rather not play any 1-AA teams, but i would bet money that SP is having issues trying to get anyone to come to Lincoln and play. Anyone have a list of all 1-A teams that have an open date the same day Nichols State was scheduled for?

I already checked all the schedules. The only teams with a empty schedule for that weekend include

Cincinatti (already playing Ohio St, Virginia Tech, and Miami Ohio next season)

UConn (already playing Indiana, Army, Navy and Wake Forest for non-conf)

West Virginia (already playing Marshall, Maryland, Miss St, and Buffalo for non-conf)

Indiana (still has 2 more open non-conf games but Ball St is scheduled on the weekend we play Nic St, and Indiana will probably want a return visit)

Minnesota (already playing Temple, Cal, North Dakota St and has that weekend free)

East Carolina (Dates TBA but already has it's 12 game schedule picked out)

Marshall (weekend open but already plays Tenn, KSt, WVU and they will want a return game)

Memphis (See east Carolina)

UAB (has weekend off but already has 12 game schedule made out with Georgia, Oklahoma, Miss St, and Troy)

Houston (has no games scheduled with non-conf opponents yet but i wont even go there)

Tulane (has no games starting before 9/16 but already has 12 game schedule setup with LSU, Auburn, Miss St, and Army)

Tulsa (still has 3 non-conf games to fill and wekeend is free)

Bowling Green (weekend off but already has non-conf games against Wisconsin, Florida Int, Boise St, and Ohio St picked out)

Buffalo (weekend off but already has 4 non-conf games scheduled with Boston College, Temple, Rutgers, WVU)

Ohio ( i wont even go there but they already have 4 non-conf games scheduled)

Western Michigan (has weekend off and needs 2 more non-conf games)

BYU (has weekend off and needs 3 more non-conf games)

San Diego St (weekend off but already has non-conf schedule worked out)

TCU (has weekend off but needs 1 more non-conf team)

Utah (has weekend off and needs 1 more non-conf team)

Cal (has weekend off but has non conf games already scheduled against Tenn, Minnesota, La Tech and Oregon-yes they scheduled a non conf game with a conference team)

La Monroe (has weekend off but already has Arkansas, Alabama and Kentucky on schedule)

Hawaii (has weekend off but needs 1 more non-conf team)

Keep in mind teams like Minnesota, Marshall, West Virginia, bowling green, BYU, Utah are all going to want return games for example. Also keep in mind some of those teams with free wekeends aren't going to play Nebraska because they might already have tough non-conf games scheduled and that would be pointless to just schedule teams for a paycheck. Also some teams wont come and play Nebraska because they are scared and they themselves want to make a post-season bowl game. Also some teams can get a bigger payout from other schools and also help themselves recruiting wise by playing a FSU, LSU, Texas, or Cal for example in those hotbed recruiting states and also get national exposure by playing the "NOW" big programs like Texas, USC, Georgia, Auburn, Notre Dame who all made BCS bowl games last year.

Lots of factors go into scheduling a team. I am sure some of them were not contacted because they just weren't appealing enough and others were probably contacted and fell under one of those things listed above.