Husker's new opponet

Seriously, this is ridiculuous. We're not going to get any respect if we continue to schedule these Division II puff cakes. I don't care if we have Texas and USC to play next year....we should schedule better quality opponents. It's embarrassing IMO. Next thing you know, we'll be playing Mount Union - Division III, then...who knows...Lincoln Southeast. Anyone excited about this?!? Aaaaaargh....

Hey, Mount Union is pretty darn good. My college coach played and coached at Mount Union. They only win there conference and play for the DIII national championship every year.

This sucks ... and it's embarrassing ... and ... it's another game I won't be watching. Doesn't help recruiting ... doesn't make me want to buy a ticket ... doesn't make me want to come to NU to play football ... puts an obvious "W" on the schedule that teams and coaches from other conferences use against you.

Don't excuse this one away ... this really sucks! Just a shade lower than Troy. Let Mizzoo play teams like this.

Sheepdog Mark

I dont care who Nebraska is playing I want to watch every freaking snap.

Against Nichols St. or against USC.

Hey, Mount Union is pretty darn good. My college coach played and coached at Mount Union. They only win there conference and play for the DIII national championship every year.

True enough. I'm a Johnnie grad (collegeville, Mn) and followed Division III. However, Mount Union, as dominant as they are in DIII, are not remotely on the radar in terms of having enough talent to compete with Nebraska.

I dont care who Nebraska is playing I want to watch every freaking snap.

Against Nichols St. or against USC.

:cheers

(heck, if NEBRASKA scheduled a pick-up game with nursing home residents, I'd probaby want to watch that too.)

the problem that Pedersen is having in scheduling Div 1 schools is that they all want a home and home contract and with NU getting 3 million a game from just ticket sales that is a great boost to the athletic department budget. the more home games the better. the football program pays for all of the other sports.

for those of you that have season tickets and dont want to go see NU play Nichols State send them to me I would gladly go and watch the game.

and for the comment about an inter squad game being more competitive, the last time NU said that was the year NU played ASU after we beat them 77-whatever and NU got beat 19-0.

and for the comment about an inter squad game being more competitive, the last time NU said that was the year NU played ASU after we beat them 77-whatever and NU got beat 19-0.

c'mon, youre certainly not comparing nicholls st to ASU in 96 are you?? ASU finished in the top 4 that year, did they not?

I would just prefer a game that was a little more competitive, or with a little more highly regarded opponent, would you not agree?

I agree. Like I have said in previous posts, why not play teams we have heard of before (ie. Minnesota, Iowa, Northern Iowa, Colorado St. Navy or another armed forces team). I know it takes two teams to agree and some teams don't want to come play Nebraska in Lincoln, but NICOLIS St. come on guys.

While a more competative game would be nice for the fans, the truth of the matter is that major D-1 schools need teams that will agree to a home-home rather than a home-away schedule to generate funds. Folks, while there are some exceptions, most D-1 schools schedule a patsy or two every year, just for financial viability. I don't have a problem with that - the football program at most schools underwrites all other sports programs.

I think it might count actually. With the win over Colorado in '05, could we not count the Maine win?

I think it is every 2 or 3 years you can count one. I need to see if I can find an official rule or something.

The only way this is really going to stop with any Div 1-A school is if they eliminate the Div 1-AA schools from counting towards bowl eligibilty. Nebraska isn't alone in this.

Teams could still schedule them if they needed some more revenue, but they would need to win 6 Div 1-A games to get in.