Rankings

Well, if the AP is so friggin accurate and wonderful, then I guess Michigan really was the true national champ in 97. Those writers are so biased in their voting that it'll make you puke if you look at their cards. I'll take a coach vote any day over some yahoo that is always putting a school 20 places below where they should be just because they're not fond of a particular program or because it will make their favored program look better.

No chief, the AP and Coaches Poll are in virtual lockstep with each other and always have been. No idea where you're finding evidence of your claim. If you're still sore about 1997, be thankful Nebraska got its own share of the National Championship. The Coaches that year had also ranked Michigan above Nebraska after our near disaster against Missouri, and it's pretty rare for a team to go undefeated, win their bowl game and drop a position. I think the Huskers earned it that year, but much of the country thought the Coaches were being sentimental (biased) in bucking tradition and awarding the spot to Tom Osborne, who some believe made his pre-game retirement announcement for that very reason.

USC and LSU in 2003 split the AP and Coaches votes I believe

Well, if the AP is so friggin accurate and wonderful, then I guess Michigan really was the true national champ in 97. Those writers are so biased in their voting that it'll make you puke if you look at their cards. I'll take a coach vote any day over some yahoo that is always putting a school 20 places below where they should be just because they're not fond of a particular program or because it will make their favored program look better.

No chief, the AP and Coaches Poll are in virtual lockstep with each other and always have been. No idea where you're finding evidence of your claim. If you're still sore about 1997, be thankful Nebraska got its own share of the National Championship. The Coaches that year had also ranked Michigan above Nebraska after our near disaster against Missouri, and it's pretty rare for a team to go undefeated, win their bowl game and drop a position. I think the Huskers earned it that year, but much of the country thought the Coaches were being sentimental (biased) in bucking tradition and awarding the spot to Tom Osborne, who some believe made his pre-game retirement announcement for that very reason.

I realize that they're virtually in lockstep with each other. My contention is that the AP poll is just as bad (or worse) with its homer sportswriters. I am well-aware that coaches have been known to try to swing the polls with their votes. The writers do it too and are every bit as guilty, if not more guilty. I also find it amusing that people incessantly bag on the coaches poll yet turn around and use it as justification for one of our national titles. That hypocracy is what I want to highlight. They want to pick and choose which poll as the argument suits them.

They want to pick and choose which poll as the argument suits them.

No argument there.