Rankings

Sagarin has us at #31. Miami is #33.

He has Ohio State at #12, and they didn't look too good beating Navy.

Way too early for any kind of accuracy from his numbers, but interesting nonetheless.

Case in point, he has Florida at 17. :P

I like Sagarin because he only factors in wins/losses/schedule strength and nothing else, and I also like FEI because it factors in only on-field performance and not wins/losses at all. Looking forward to when those come out.

I don't think we wanted Miami to lose.

Nebraska's SOS in the Big 10 could become an issue. According to John Feinstein program this morning, if there are 5 major conferences and only 4 seats at the playoff table, the Big 10 is looking shaky.

We need to be rooting big time for MSU vs. Oregon this week.

I have to think the Big Ten will be above the Big 12, especially when you consider the additional championship game.

At this point, the only ranking I care about in reference to the Huskers, is the ranking showing on the scoreboard after each of our games. If we are ranked higher in points than each week's opponents, I'm good.

Our schedule is set, so we can't change SOS.

Our conference is set, so we can't change how our conference does.

Other teams are ranked above us and rightly so, based on our last decade of football. We can't change the past.

Every MNC has some degree of dumb luck and fate attached to it. We can't control those either.

Just win baby! Let the rest sort itself out.

I don't think we wanted Miami to lose.

Nebraska's SOS in the Big 10 could become an issue. According to John Feinstein program this morning, if there are 5 major conferences and only 4 seats at the playoff table, the Big 10 is looking shaky.

We need to be rooting big time for MSU vs. Oregon this week.

But as far as B1G teams go, we've got the least to worry about as far as our schedule working against us.

At this point, the only ranking I care about in reference to the Huskers, is the ranking showing on the scoreboard after each of our games. If we are ranked higher in points than each week's opponents, I'm good.

Other teams are ranked above us and rightly so, based on our last decade of football. We can't change the past.

Every MNC has some degree of dumb luck and fate attached to it. We can't control those either.

You have a point. Three days after beating Florida Atlantic may not be the best time to worry that our undefeated regular season won't be properly appreciated.

• Fire 1

You have a point. Three days after beating Florida Atlantic may not be the best time to worry that our undefeated regular season won't be properly appreciated.

I don't usually worry about rankings until about the middle of the season. The preseason polls mean nothing and usually the polls mean nothing until most teams get in to the heart of their conference schedule. The way Miami looked last night, we shouldn't be tested until Michigan State. I'm not saying that we will easily walk through until Michigan State, but we "should" be able to beat everyone before Michigan State. If we make it to Michigan State undefeated and then happen to beat them, then we'll see where we would be in the polls.

Sagarin has us at #31. Miami is #33.

He has Ohio State at #12, and they didn't look too good beating Navy.

Way too early for any kind of accuracy from his numbers, but interesting nonetheless.

Yeah...Sagarin doesn't really take any meaning until like Week 6 when it goes completely untethered. And it generally after that it gets a lot better each week that goes by too.

Actually, pretty much any ranking, computer or human, is pretty meaningless until 4 or 5 weeks have gone by. Remember in 2007 when we crushed Nevada in Week 1 and were ranked #15 going into USC?

Yes! The odds of even the best team going undefeated is like 5%. You've got to line your team's ability up with good variance in order to get to a championship. Hopefully we can combine a 2010-level team with our 2012-level luck and get a conference title at the least.

Pretty balanced stuff from the coaches poll. Don't think the AP poll has been released yet, so we'll see what the media jackasses think.

the media jackasses are probably more qualified than the coaches, i'd wager.

Or even if not more qualified, they have more time to look at results before voting.