Social Responsibility of Employer

Interesting. Do you have to be just arrested or convicted?

Just arrested...One of my co-worker got a DUI on a Saturday night and come Monday morning they called him into the office and let him go. He ended up getting diversion and never lost his license, just paid a fine and had a breathilizer put in his pickup.

Wow....

I'd like to go back to this.

Sooo....if someone was wrongly arrested, they lose their job? Does that seem right?

Didn't realize they are still paying him. But, I guess when someone said that they don't have the right to fire him I was just saying they had just cause because he was/is losing the company/franchise money.

Big Red Buster I think it all depends on the circumstances. I mean you can be acquitted of the said crime, but what were the circumstances leading up to the arrest in the first place. why was the person Looked at as guilty and what other illegal things led up to the arrest. If it was a case in mistaken identity or you can prove wrong place wrong time scenario then I would say that it would be complete BS, but how would this person affect the rest of the employees and the business. Maybe a severance package and help getting new employment would be better served for all. Is it fair not at all.

Interesting. Do you have to be just arrested or convicted?

Just arrested...One of my co-worker got a DUI on a Saturday night and come Monday morning they called him into the office and let him go. He ended up getting diversion and never lost his license, just paid a fine and had a breathilizer put in his pickup.

Wow....

I'd like to go back to this.

Sooo....if someone was wrongly arrested, they lose their job? Does that seem right?

I think there needs to be a distinction between wrongfully arrested and not found guilty.

Let's look at Adrian Peterson/Ray Rice. They may get found not guilty in a court of law, but that doesn't mean that you, as an employer, has to keep them employed if you feel what was done would reflect poorly on your business.

Now if I happen to be walking down the street minding my own business and cops mistake me for a wanted person and wrongfully arrest me and my employer fires me for said arrest, I am fairly confident I get my job back once an explanation is given.

At least as a business owner, this is how I would look at it.

Let me also give some other perspective. We had an employee that was new to the company. He didn't tell us at the time of hiring him that he was battling a DWI case. His second. He approached us as the case progressed and told us that he was facing jail time. Something like 30-60 days. I told him he would not have a job waiting for him when he got out because I hire people to do work. Not sit in jail. He understood. Took some pleas and diversions and reduced the sentence with no jail time. He is currently one of our best employees.