On Second Thought . . . I Was Wrong

On second thought, I was wrong. After a good night's sleep, I realized that my analysis was wrong (No, I'm not talking about "The Real Top 10" - - that's spot on). I sold ourselves short after losing last night. Some of you guys made some good arguments about why we lost, not least of all which included about 12 injuries to guys who should have probably been starting last night.

I suddenly have hope and optimism. I think that Tommy received a complete education last night. I also loved the fact that Tommy was yelling in Bo's face. I think Bo learns from last night, as well. This team has heart. Let's not trash the O-Line. We have all forgotten that most of them are playing in their first season as a starter on the line . There will be growing pains.

I think MSU loses to Ohio State. If we run the table, beat tOSU for the conference title, then beat Oregon or UCLA in the Rose Bowl (will we play there if we aren't in the top 4?), then I am suddenly very pleased with the season.

Please forgive my inadequacies (Not for the "Real Top 10" - - that's the cutting edge of college football polls). I'm a work in progress, just like out team.

• Fire 2

Hey, whatever you tell yourself to help you get through the season is fine by me. Blame the injuries, blame the weather. Fact of the matter is, this performance would be fine if we ever won some of these games. Im getting sick of saying, oh Im so proud of the team, we never gave up and fought like hell the whole game. We say that in mostly every big game we play in, except B1G championship game against Wisconsin. The result is always the same: L. Maybe if we won some of them every once in a while, these moral victories would mean more.

Ive never been the type of poster to call for firings. Just not my MO. Its not my job, its SE job. However, things need to change. I love getting pumped for these big games, but I hate feeling the way I felt after the first half. I could handle it if we won 50% or more of them, but we don't.

I wanna see your Top 10 Reasons why you're wrong

I feel like David Letterman, but here goes:

10. Ameer got completely tripped on that fumble near the goal line.

9. Tommy's "fumble" on that pass was proof that the fix was in.

7. Madelaine (or whatever the dude's name is) needs to tell me, "I told you so" just to get through today.

6. We were playing on the road . . .

5. . . . against a very tough team (tougher than I gave them credit for) . . .

4. . . . in a hostile environment (i.e., before the fans started acting like LA Dodgers fans and heading for the exits early) . . .

3. . . . In bad weather conditions.

2. Unlike other games that we have lost, we showed grit and determination for the first time.

And the number on reason why I was wrong . . .

1. Even Einstein occasionally made mistakes!

I wanna see your Top 10 Reasons why you're wrong

I feel like David Letterman, but here goes:

10. Ameer got completely tripped on that fumble near the goal line. We couldn't capitalize on any short field in the first half, not just this one. Hell, we punted from our own 35

9. Tommy's "fumble" on that pass was proof that the fix was in. HAHAHAHA

7. Madelaine (or whatever the dude's name is) needs to tell me, "I told you so" just to get through today. Moraine? And its a she

6. We were playing on the road . . .We will have to play on the road every year, just like every other team

5. . . . against a very tough team (tougher than I gave them credit for) . . . If you wanna be the best, you gotta beat the best. WOOOOOO!

4. . . . in a hostile environment (i.e., before the fans started acting like LA Dodgers fans and heading for the exits early) . . . Once again, we will have to do this again. Wisconsin later this season

3. . . . In bad weather conditions. They had to play in it too

2. Unlike other games that we have lost, we showed grit and determination for the first time. Almost only counts in horseshoes and grenades

And the number on reason why I was wrong . . .

1. Even Einstein occasionally made mistakes! Okay

I remember watching the 2002 Rose Bowl and, for the first time in my Husker life, feeling a sense of pity for Nebraska. As they scored a couple times late in the game, I thought, "Good for them. I'm proud they're still fighting to the bitter end."

It felt kind of gross. I hoped I didn't have to do that again. Turns out I'd be doing it for the next 13 years (and counting).