Height: 6’5.5”

Weight:196

40 time: 4.49

Visit Date: January 13, 2006

Scholarships offered:Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico State, Texas Tech, UTEP

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: NR/ :star:star

Bid Red Report:NR/:star

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please feel free to copy and paste a few of the questions and give us your "Nsight"

1) What are your first impressions of this recruit (speed, strength, character, leadership, grades, etc)?

2) Rank his importance to the Huskers 1-10 (10 the most important).

3) Will he contribute right away? In what capacity?

4) Who does this player most remind you of?

5) Where do you see this player in 2010?

Hanks' Henry now a Husker

Lenny Jurado

El Paso Times

Thursday, February 2, 2006

Will Henry is the prototypical wide receiver, as well as a model teenager who makes the honor roll and will open the door for anyone.

Considered a "diamond in the rough" by his high school football coach, Henry was coveted by six Division 1 college football programs before finally deciding on the University of Nebraska.

He made it official on a sunny Wednesday afternoon, National Signing Day, by signing a letter of intent to play for the Cornhuskers.

It marked what Knights head football coach Jeff Cleveland called "one of the greatest, if not the greatest signing day in the history of Hanks High School."

"I think of all the kids I've had sign D-1 scholarships ... he's the package," said Cleveland, a coach the past 13 years at various schools. "He's smart, he's an athlete, he's a coachable kid, he's all the things you want. I'd rank him right up there at the very top with the guys I've had."

ADVERTISEMENT

Said Henry, "This is a really great moment, knowing that I get to go on and continue with my passion -- playing football."

Henry joins a program that boasts five national titles and ranks among the top five nationally in wins for an NCAA institution, Cleveland said.

UTEP, Missouri, Baylor, Texas State and Stanford all had courted the 6-foot-5, 195-pound athlete.

However, Henry was impressed by Nebraska's tradition, facilities and academic standards.

"Overall, college football at Nebraska is the biggest thing in their state with so many fans across the nation," he said. "It's a great thing to be a part of -- the coaches, the whole tradition, everything."

The Huskers gain a gem in Henry, who Nebraska coaches expect to start depending on his progress in training camp, said his father, Will Henry IV.

This past season he caught 52 passes for 917 yards and 12 touchdowns and went on to earn all-state honorable mention honors from the Associated Press.

Still, Henry has more to offer, Cleveland said.

"When he gets there and it's football year-round and he's lifting weights and working on his route running, he's constantly studying film and all those types of things -- I think the guy's potential is unlimited," he said.

Fittingly, Henry's signing was conducted among friends and family, to whom he has credited his success. Few were prouder of his accomplishment than his father, who spearheaded his son's development.

"This is what he's worked hard for, what he's been training for since the age of 9," his father said. "It's all paid off."

Lenny Jurado may be reached at ljurado@elpasotimes.com; 546-6167.

• 2 months later...

Eastwood, Hanks claim 1-5A track titles

Mark Campbell and Aaron Martinez started things off Monday, teaming up for a 1-2 finish in the high jump with leaps of 6 feet, 4 inches.

Joel Rivera continued a consistent season with gold in the pole vault (14-6), while Garrick Harris and Gabe Garcia finished first in the 100 (11.04) and 200 (21.95) dashes, respectively.

Meanwhile, football star Will Henry added depth with third-place finishes in both sprints (11.26; 22.48).

• 4 weeks later...
Guest greenbayhusker

1) What are your first impressions of this recruit (speed, strength, character, leadership, grades, etc)? He looks tall and thin. It sounds like he has good speed. He should pay our weight room a visit.

2) Rank his importance to the Huskers 1-10 (10 the most important). I'm giving him a 6 right now. Should he convert that potential into reality, he could become a great player.

3) Will he contribute right away? In what capacity? Maybe. I'd like to see him get some looks at wide receiver but he sounds raw right now. Should he bulk up in the weight room, he will have unlimited potential.

4) Who does this player most remind you of? Maybe Randy Moss

5) Where do you see this player in 2010? We'll see. He's got potential.

:restore

• 2 months later...