Urban Legend: Picking classes in college

So, the last post in the (Woman gets compliment and hates life) thread jogged my memory about something...

There was an urban legend going around (from one of my buddies girlfriend that was in a sorority at the time) that girls in her house would sign up for classes where there would be a higher % of possible Pre-law and Pre-med guys...hoping to meet them in college and snag them as a long term investment.

Now, I have no idea if it is true or not and I really don't know what Pre-law or Pre-med classes/courses are but she swears that her friends would sit around, looking at the old N-Roll magazine (some of you might remember that) and try to determine which classes might be loaded up with future lawyers and doctors.

I, on the other hand, was always looking for History of Jazz...History of Rock and Roll...History of Easy Classes...things like that.

While I believe that there may have been a time where such practices were more prevalent, I just don't see it today. Women going to college SOLELY to find a guy is already a sucker's bet (the ~65-35& ratio is not in their favor). Next, outside of hard sciences, those are going to be more difficult courses which, if you're just looking for guys, aren't going to be worth the effort. Women who are putting in this kind of work want to make it on their own.

In reality, I think girls who are truly going for an MRS are most likely to be sorority girls who go out with a lot of different fraternity guys (more of a guarantee that these guys will have and/or make bank than general population biz or law). While not ideal, I think it is preferable to those who end up with $80k in student loans for a Womyn's Studies or English degree.

While I believe that there may have been a time where such practices were more prevalent, I just don't see it today. Women going to college SOLELY to find a guy is already a sucker's bet (the ~65-35& ratio is not in their favor). Next, outside of hard sciences, those are going to be more difficult courses which, if you're just looking for guys, aren't going to be worth the effort. Women who are putting in this kind of work want to make it on their own.

In reality, I think girls who are truly going for an MRS are most likely to be sorority girls who go out with a lot of different fraternity guys (more of a guarantee that these guys will have and/or make bank than general population biz or law). While not ideal, I think it is preferable to those who end up with $80k in student loans for a Womyn's Studies or English degree.

I think you are right...I think college "in general" is where lots of girls are hoping to meet the man they marry...

I think you are right...I think college "in general" is where lots of girls are hoping to meet the man they marry...

See, I don't even think that THAT many go to college solely to find a guy anymore. There are probably some, but, like I said above, I don't think it is all about picking the pre-law, pre-biz courses to find the guys.

I don't think they go with the sole intention of meeting the guy they will marry...I think many are just hoping/assuming that is where it will happen...I mean, what is more romantic than drinking free cheap vodka and doing shots off an ice luge while frat guys try hitting on you!

God I wanna be back in college!

Isn't college where a lot of guys are hoping to meet the woman they marry, too?

Probably...but I don't think guys in 12th grade are like "Man, I can't wait for college so I can meet the girl I will marry"

Isn't college where a lot of guys are hoping to meet the woman they marry, too?

Probably...but I don't think guys in 12th grade are like "Man, I can't wait for college so I can meet the girl I will marry"

Oh, no doubt. My goals were decidedly shorter term. Haha.