Conference Comparison Against OOC Power 5 Opponents

Mavric

That's pathetic that the 14-team SEC plays an 8-game conference schedule and ends up with just 11 power five teams on their schedule (complemented by a FCS team on the schedule for ALL 14 teams!). Clearly, to be the best, you must avoid as much real competition as you possibly can and rely on ESPN to make a reputation for you.

@Notre Dame Joe: You making the trip to Clemson next year?

Sure would love to, though it's a pretty long trip for me.

No Doubt. I'm going to try to go, my dad was there the last time ND came to the Valley.

Plan on an off season of calls from their fundraisers hawking season tickets.

?

As soon as the ND game was back on, the ASU marketing arm went to lightspeed. They actually called me hyping season tickets and mentioned ND in the sales script.

• 5 weeks later...

Updated with results against the Sagarin Predictor Top 50

SEC - West
Mississippi State - Lost to Georgia Tech 49-34 - SP: MSU should have won by 1
Alabama - Beat West Virginia 33-23 - SP: Alabama by 18; Plays Ohio State
Auburn - Beat Kansas State 20-14 - SP: Auburn by 1; Beat Louisiana Tech 45-17 - SP: Auburn by 16; Lost to Wisconsin 34-31 - SP: Auburn by 11
Mississippi - Beat Boise State 35-13 - SP: Miss by 13; Beat Memphis 24-3 - SP: Miss by 20; Lost to TCU 42-3 - SP: TCU by 11
LSU - Beat Wisconsin 28-24; SP: LSU by 6; Lost to Notre Dame 31-28 - SP: LSU by 16
Texas A&M - Beat West Virginia 45-37 - SP: A&M by 2
Arkansas - None

SEC - East
Missouri - Beat Minnesota 33-17 - SP: Missouri by 4
Georgia - Beat Clemson 45-21 - SP: Georgia by 10; Lost to Georgia Tech 30-24 - SP: UGA by 12; Beat Louisville 37-14 - SP: UGA by 15
Florida - Lost to Florida State 24-19 - SP: FSU by 5
Kentucky - Lost to Louisville 44-40 - SP: Louisville by 1
South Carolina - Lost to Clemson 35-17 - SP: Clemson by 14; Beat Miami 24-21 - SP: Even
Tennessee - Lost to Oklahoma 34-10 - SP: OU by 3; Plays Iowa
Vanderbilt - None

On the field: 10-9

When SP favored SEC: 10-4

When SP favored Opponent: 0-5

Better than SP by 3+ points: 6

Within 3 points of SP: 6

Worse than SP by 3+ points: 8

So they did slightly worse than the Sagarin Predictor would have indicated, always lost when they should have and lost several times as the favorite.

To me, that says Sagarin has them slightly over-rated.

When Ole Miss scheduled Boise State, at the time, here were their previous 3 seasons:

12-1

14-0

12-1

So Ole Miss wasn't shying away from competition. Sagarin puts Boise State at #40, which is going to be a better win than a lot of the Power 5 teams. But I digress, I'll let you continue.

And 12 of those 13-14 games each year were against mighty Utah State and similar ilk. Bosie has long lived off of playing 1-2 teams each year. One reason I wasn't too high on Peterson for replacing Bo last year.