Academics

Callahan: When we recruit, academics is the number one thing we talk about, everything else comes second."

I'll bet he really gives a crap about academics. That is def. political talk there. You don't get jucos if your interested in getting smart kids because 90% of them aren't to sharp. ONce we get all of callahan's recruits I don't think our academic all americans will be near as high. Of course we do have wonderful tutors... :wacko:

Im not sure if you have graduated college, but honestly, in 90% of the programs at 90% of the universities in this country, hard work and discipline is all that is necessary to keep a 3.5 or better.

Yes I have. And I can gurantee you guys in our football program and many sports programs all over the nation are having tutors do a majority of their work. I've talk to many former huskers about tutors and how it worked. :thumbs I gurantee Marlon Lucky has a good tutor.

Im not sure if you have graduated college, but honestly, in 90% of the programs at 90% of the universities in this country, hard work and discipline is all that is necessary to keep a 3.5 or better.

Yes I have. And I can gurantee you guys in our football program and many sports programs all over the nation are having tutors do a majority of their work. I've talk to many former huskers about tutors and how it worked. :thumbs I gurantee Marlon Lucky has a good tutor.

I wouldn't doubt it at all. No different than it was 5, 10 15, 25 years ago.

Callahan: When we recruit, academics is the number one thing we talk about, everything else comes second."

I'll bet he really gives a crap about academics. That is def. political talk there. You don't get jucos if your interested in getting smart kids because 90% of them aren't to sharp. ONce we get all of callahan's recruits I don't think our academic all americans will be near as high. Of course we do have wonderful tutors... :wacko:

How come team GPA's have risen in the past two years?

I think your misinterpreting the quote, he uses academics to recruit players, that's the first thing he and a recruit talk about.

That and he emphaicizes academics when they get here... How many football players have become academically ineligible while Callahan was here.....none to my knowledge. There have been some who have failed to qualify, but there is no school in the country that wont take a kid just because he hasnt been a stellar student. Even Stanford and Michigan, two great schools, take some average to below average students, as long as they meet the reqs to get in.

I actually looked into being a tutor for the athletic department but couldn't do it b/c I was already working for the Engineering Dept. and they'll limit how many hours a student can work for the university.

It was surprising how strict the rules were. The requirements were such that it would be pretty difficult to do any work for the student without anyone finding out. Unless it has changed, as i remember, tutoring sessions had to take place in the Hewitt center and doing so elsewhere could get you and the athlete in a fair amount of trouble.

Both tutors and athletes were accountable for pretty much every conceivable detail, even down to any photocopies that were made. I can imagine that, to some extent, cheating goes on most everywhere, but not to the extent that most people think.