Academics

Callahan: When we recruit, academics is the number one thing we talk about, everything else comes second."

I'll bet he really gives a crap about academics. That is def. political talk there. You don't get jucos if your interested in getting smart kids because 90% of them aren't to sharp. ONce we get all of callahan's recruits I don't think our academic all americans will be near as high. Of course we do have wonderful tutors... :wacko:

How come team GPA's have risen in the past two years?

I think your misinterpreting the quote, he uses academics to recruit players, that's the first thing he and a recruit talk about.

I'd be interested in seeing how callahan's scholarship recruits have did in the classroom? Seems like half of them have a heck of a time even making out of high school or junior college let alone academic all american.

I'd be interested in seeing how callahan's scholarship recruits have did in the classroom?  Seems like half of them have a heck of a time even making out of high school or junior college let alone academic all american.

Considering no one here can probably get access to student records, there is probably no telling.

The fact that GPA's are up since he took over isn't good enough, I guess. No matter how much it hurts, this guy apparently does care about how the kids do in school. We'll really see in the next few years.

Callahan: When we recruit, academics is the number one thing we talk about, everything else comes second."

I'll bet he really gives a crap about academics. That is def. political talk there. You don't get jucos if your interested in getting smart kids because 90% of them aren't to sharp. ONce we get all of callahan's recruits I don't think our academic all americans will be near as high. Of course we do have wonderful tutors... :wacko:

I think your misinterpreting the quote, he uses academics to recruit players, that's the first thing he and a recruit talk about.

I'd be interested in seeing how callahan's scholarship recruits have did in the classroom? Seems like half of them have a heck of a time even making out of high school or junior college let alone academic all american.

New to the board, but i am guessing this is one of the few who after 2 years, can't get over it?

the official stance is that the kids go to college to earn a degree, not play college football. we know thats not necessarily the case but we do know that a lot of althetes do graduate from Nebraska. So is it really so hard to believe that they do actually talk about academics?

wow ok so you have people who are so pissed that we lose games, and of course we all want to win all of the games, and blame callahan. when he goes to get the athletes that will help him win RIGHT AWAY you chastise him for it.

actually the quote was an answer to a question about what do kids look for the most. what is the main thing the coaches have to advertise to recruits when they come into their homes and try to sell Nebraska. BC answered: "When we recruit, academics is the number one thing we talk about, everything else comes second."

sorry if that doesn't go along with your daily BC-sucks vibe as well.

he also added that its great to go into homes with Nebraska's statistics, academic all-americans and "those kind of numbers" to show to kids and their parents.

which reminds me of something a bit off topic but if i may rant-- why the #ell did EA Sports NCAA Football 2006 only give Nebraska 3 out of 6 stars for academics- i mean, where the heck did that come from?!

"...have did..."?

And this comes from a guy who is questioning the academic abilities of others...

I like to think people can be informal if they want or use proper english if inclined. The important part is getting your point across with minimal confusion. That there would purely be a thang o beyute. :)

If I err it is on the side of comedy or poor proofreading. Possibly both.

If you want to get a point across, pretend that we are all All-Academic Posters. Since most of we threaders attended at least high school, we should probably be able to communicate as succinctly as the palyers we discuss! That is the best way to get a point across and avoid being misinterpreted. Maybe, I'm just too old school and no one cares!

I'd be interested in seeing how callahan's scholarship recruits have did in the classroom?  Seems like half of them have a heck of a time even making out of high school or junior college let alone academic all american.

Obviously well enough that the cumulative GPA for the team is at an all time high. If the kids he brought in were such bad students, the GPA would reflect it. It is not hard to do well in school, it takes hard work and discipline. You don't necessarily have to be smart, if you have a degree Benard, that should be more than enough evidence for you.

Ok, what?

I seriously did not just read "90% of Juco's aren't TO smart." Well I'm convinced. While I will meet you at the point that some people do treat JC's as 13th grade, a great many athletes use those two years to continue developing their skills, as they are still not fuly grown, or need more work, want to play d-1 and are on the borderline. Or maybe, they can't afford a 4 yr and need two years of a JC so they can get that scholarship. But maybe I'm wrong, and 90% of them aren't to smart. Good thing you are. And I'm also sad to hear that you think "our academic all-americans won't be near as high" It's prety amazing, you have discovered that your points become even more convincing and airtight when you completely leave out any and all adverbs. Add a healthy dose emoticons and internet shorthand, and presto! Instant Pulitzer. Let me try...

:wtf IMO I def. think that are aca. all-amer will real decrease in the near future. <_< . We will see Ohio and Buff. rise up and start to beat some teams maybe even us. You can write this down becuase 95% of the teams Ohio plays do not have JUCO so they are better and they do not play teams like Maine.

Well I need work, but someday I'll get it.

Obviously well enough that the cumulative GPA for the team is at an all time high. If the kids he brought in were such bad students, the GPA would reflect it. It is not hard to do well in school, it takes hard work and discipline. You don't necessarily have to be smart, if you have a degree Benard, that should be more than enough evidence for you.

lol :clap