Next five years

The Huskers could go anywhere between 11&1 to 7&5. Games against USC and Texas will be diificult to win but it can be done. USC has lots of talent but will be playing a ton of new starters and we get them early in the year. Texas we get at home so that always gives us a chance. The pivotal games to me are OSU, A&M and Iowa State. Reason these cause me concern is they are all on the road. Let's be honest here, the Huskers have struggled on the road in Big 12 play under this staff. Will this continue, time will tell. Until they can go out and win some of these games on the road, confidence will never be gained. OSU and A&M both played Texas tough at home this year and as good as we all think the Husker will be next year, they won't be Texas of 05. Iowa State returns a lot of talent on the offensive side of the ball but their defense will be suspect to say the least. These three games will be pivotal to next year. Win them and all is well, lose them and Husker Nation will be in dire straights. Those three games could very well determine if and how long this current staff stays intact. I promise if we lose all three of those games along with the USC and Texas games last years Kansas lost will look small by comparison. All that being said here's to winning those three plus one of the others and to brighter things ahead the next five years.

The Huskers could go anywhere between 11&1 to 7&5. Games against USC and Texas will be diificult to win but it can be done. USC has lots of talent but will be playing a ton of new starters and we get them early in the year. Texas we get at home so that always gives us a chance. The pivotal games to me are OSU, A&M and Iowa State. Reason these cause me concern is they are all on the road. Let's be honest here, the Huskers have struggled on the road in Big 12 play under this staff. Will this continue, time will tell. Until they can go out and win some of these games on the road, confidence will never be gained. OSU and A&M both played Texas tough at home this year and as good as we all think the Husker will be next year, they won't be Texas of 05. Iowa State returns a lot of talent on the offensive side of the ball but their defense will be suspect to say the least. These three games will be pivotal to next year. Win them and all is well, lose them and Husker Nation will be in dire straights. Those three games could very well determine if and how long this current staff stays intact. I promise if we lose all three of those games along with the USC and Texas games last years Kansas lost will look small by comparison. All that being said here's to winning those three plus one of the others and to brighter things ahead the next five years.

Excellent post :yeah

I agree with everything you say but of those 5 games, I believe the worst the team could go would be 3-2. Remember the heart of the team comming back so many times when down early and how fast they could score? The offense is built to score quick and i believe this year we could see some big numbers on the offensive side with a better o-line, more talented receivers, and taylor. taylor was hit time after time and yet he still stayed in there and kept playing. With his leadership and the experience comming back the offense looks great.

Excellent post :yeah

i agree with everything you said........i am hoping the road win at CU last fall will help them recognize they can win on the road......they totally out played CU and Cally outcoached their guy too.....they now know it can be done...just have to turn it up and focus on their game....and ignore the crowd......they can and will do this, if they are to be recognized as a good team.....we shall see

hunter

The reason I believe the Huskers will be successful the next five years is the recruiting lately. We are absolutely dominating the North. That's not everyhting but it's an excellent start, it's a foundation

Exactly. The momentum from the end of the season and the upturn in recruiting is going to snowball confidence for the program. One thing I noticed on the recruiting wrap up was that all the kids they interviewed or spoke with have great attitudes and would do anything to get on the field and be a part of what is happening. I think Nebraska is going to be the team to beat in the North after this season once again.

Why is it so hard for some Nebraska fans to realize that Nebraska is now back? Of the 4 losses last year, next year brings 2 of them to Lincoln and the other 2 arent on the schedule. Oklahoma and TT were both very close games and just think if nebraska wouldnt have gotten down so early. I realize the USC and Texas take the place of TT and Oklahoma but both will be a lot less experienced as last year and how can you not be optimistic after the alamo bowl?

Why, because NU only played 2 teams that ended up in the top 25 last year, and lost them, both, at home. And they got destroyed by freaking Kansas :wtf If you call that BACK then you must not have much knowledge of Husker history.

Statistically the O was worse in 05 than it was in 04, and if I remember correctly, NU is something like 3-8 under this staff on the road. More than a few ?????? there.

PS- I forgot to add, this is also the team that gave up 480 yards to Brad Smith. Not V Young, not R Bush.........Brad Smith <_<

brad smith is one of the all time NCAA leaders in total offense.

I don't doubt that we will be a better team next year, but I do think that the schedule and the road games next year are a challange to this team. This year's schedule had most of our close games at home - that changes next year. While our talent is upgraded, this team has yet to prove that it can win on the road consistently and that it can move the chains consistently enough to grind out the tough wins. That is why I think talk of 10-2 or 11-1 records next year are pretty unreasonable. If that is the expectation, I think there are going to be a lot of unhappy fans.

My view of the record is that 8-4 is pretty realistic with a chance at 9-3 or even for 7-5 if things go wrong. If this team went 8-4, managed to not get humiliated by USC and Texas, and showed consistent improvement and an ability to run the ball and move the chains, I think that NU fans should take that as a step forwards and a good improvement for next season.

Regardless of the arguments re the '03 team, if we had stayed with Solich we would never win a championship of any kind. The win/loss record means little, in that regard. Remember those horrible blow-out losses that year? The '04 team was brand new. so not too much should have been expected nor compared.

The 2 "P's in a Pod," Perlman and Pederson, knew that we would never win championships under Solich, even though we may get 8-10 wins a year. The writing was on the wall- with that coach- we couldn't ever compete with the top teams, as was proven in 2003. If, by 2007, we aren't able to compete with those teams, then FF is right. Do you think he is?

If, by 2007, we aren't able to compete with those teams, then FF is right. Do you think he is?

I have seen signs of greatness with this team. I have also cringed numerous times at some decision making, poor play, and po0r game planning. I am so on the fence that it is difficult for me to make any prediction other that waiting and seeing.

Many, think that this team is back and order is restored. Although their are many signs of progress, team unity, and moments of dominance; it is difficult for me to see how this team would have competed with teams in the top 5 or 6. As previously said, " Perlman and Pederson, knew that we would never win championships under Solich, even though we may get 8-10 wins a year ". So far, this is all that BC has done (well 1 out of 2 years). Yes he is recruiting well (I know, this is subject to debate), but it takes more than good recruits to compete for national championships. If thinking NU will not win a NC in the next few years means one is a pessimist, sign me up, because I do not think they will. I hope they do, but do not see it as of yet. They have a long way to go.

I do think that this team and BC have improved in many ways. I do not see them winning less than 7 games for a while, but as many have preached patience in BC and his system, I as well will be very patient before giving BC too much latitude. I respect him, I wish him the best, and I think he is doing a good job, but I wish not for a few successes to cloud my judgement. 5-6 and 8-5 are not anywhere near dominant seasons. I hope in the next 3-5 years, BC has many dominant seasons, but has of yet to prove that he can. If he has proven this some of you, I would like facts on how (beating Colorado and Michigan are not proof of this).

So, I can see where many are coming from. Some think that NU is back and order is restored, others think that BC and company have not and will not get it done. In fact, you are both right, and you are both wrong. In 5 years, we will know who won the debate and predicted correctly.