Starting Tailback?

Do we need the skeleton thread ressurected where it says that the fastest 40 time ever scientifically measured was by an OLYIMPIC sprinter at 4.38 seconds. A guy holding a stop watch is not a very good way to measure time, and I certainly don't trust a junior college that is actively trying to help out their players. I know the man is very fast, but don't just spit out numbers that are blatanly false and unrecorded anywhere. I have yet to see a link to the article where you read this, and I have provideded sources for all of my information. I am still waiting to hear where the word out of Lincoln is from....

Do we need the skeleton thread ressurected where it says that the fastest 40 time ever scientifically measured was by an OLYIMPIC sprinter at 4.38 seconds.

***SNIP***

Can't hurt, and it's an interesting read, so HERE IT IS.

Compare apples to apples. If you are going to point to that as the only person to ever run that fast, then why have any mention of 40 times approaching that? If Wilson "truly" runs a 4.4, then that would make him, quite possibly, the second fastest human ever, if you choose to look at it like that. If scouts and coaches use the same methodology to grade recruits on speed, then you can tell who is fast and who falls where. Not necessarily using that number to say he is the fastest person ever. By the 40 times that have been posted for Kenny Wilson at 4.4, he is very fast, and one of the faster recruits of this class. That's pretty much all we can go off of. I think that 4.26 is fudged, just as I think Frantz Hardy's 4.28 was. 40 yard dash times, pretty much take em at face value, not as the gold standard. Conditions of testing, who runs the stopwatch, pads/no pads, track, grass, indoor, etc. I think the fact that Culbert has a listed 40 time of 4.79 or something, and Holt was something similar shows the disparity in the way 40 times are measured. After watching film of those guys, they don't look that much slower than guys who have timed 4.5 or lower. 40 times are nice for bragging rights, but don't end up meaning much.

This should be the golden era of tainted 40 yard times. Clemson has two players-to-be that are boasting amazing times. Blue chip running back CJ Spiller claims he runs a 4.28. WR commit Jacoby Ford was "timed" by his HS coach at 4.126. Ford did win the 100m in Florida this year with a 10.32 which does show he is very fast.

A similar point was made by Tom Shanahan of the voiceofsandiego.org about Reggie Bush:

Bush is sometimes compared to Marshall Faulk, the San Diego State All-American speedster from New Orleans who was a Heisman runner-up as a sophomore in 1992. But Faulk doesn't have Bush's open-field moves. And as fast as Faulk is, he's not as fast as Bush.

Bush ran the100 meters in an electronic 10.42 seconds as a junior at Helix. Forget all the 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4 40-yard times you hear about in football. Most of them are bogus.

Understand this: there are not many human beings that can run 10.42 as a junior in high school (Bush was injured his senior track season). A football scout with a stopwatch would have clocked Bush's electronic 10.42 in the high 10.2s for a hand time.

Bush could have been an Olympic sprinter, but he's a rare human with football instincts and world-class speed.

In regards to the topic of the post I think Lucky will emerge as the starter with Glenn and Wilson as backups. To utilize the talents of the three several two back sets may be seen this year. Hopefully Leon Jackson can enter the mix also.

Do we need the skeleton thread ressurected where it says that the fastest 40 time ever scientifically measured was by an OLYIMPIC sprinter at 4.38 seconds.

***SNIP***

Can't hurt, and it's an interesting read, so HERE IT IS.

no mention in the post that it was borrowed mostly from the San Diego Union-Tribune. link

More fuel to the 40 time debate. link

And some Texas A&M fans mulled over the same subject in 2003: link

dedhoarse

Can he ever recover?  Is this the same shoulder or are they different.  He's a physical back and that's his style....physical back.

I have no idea I just scratched it down from the interview as fast as I could.

Different shoulder. Can he recover? Ahmen had a really crappy sophmore year to come back his junior year and dominate. Remember Jackson has been in the system more than any of the backs.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you think Marlon Lucky's time in the 40 is?  That dude could be the gamebreaker NU needs.  Every time he touched the ball in 05', you just got the feeling that something special could happen.  Should be more of the same in 06.

lol! i wouldnt go that far..edit: i guess he has a lot to prove this offseason, last year he appeard lost and didnt know what was happening when there was an audible. he didnt break out until the KU game when his huge return was brought back due to penalty. in the KState game he made some bad decisions in the return game.

cody glenn.. everytime he touched the ball i got the feeling we were going to get that first down...

That is true. I suppose I was just thinking about his potential. He and the Wilson kid should be interesting to watch this season. That is if Wilson can keep his grades up. Saw him play in Liberal, KS in high school and it was a mismatch everytime he touched the ball. Don't know about Butler Juco, guess he took his game to a new level while there. What a pipeline out of Butler for NU, fantastic for the Huskers.