Starting Tailback?

for me the most intriguing postion to be determined this pre season will be who lands the starting tailback spot.........and I don't think it will be decided before fall practice ends....with Lucky, Glenn, Jackson and Wilson probably fighting for the spot, it sould be fun to watch......a lot of folks probably won't agree with me, but my money is still on Cody, who has a good chance because he is physical enough to pick up the blitz and protect Taylor....thoughts? also could it be we will see rotating tailbacks this year?

hunter

I didn't watch much of USC the past couple years, but how was Carol able to get both of them touches, and i am talking about consistent touches....I assume most of that was due to them blowing teams out the past couple years and spreading the wealth, but were they on the field at the same time much? Be nice if NU could get many touches with all the great running backs they have stocked now.

I don't see Cody Glenn as the #1 back. I think Callahan is going to continue to use him in much the same capacity as he was used last year, and how he used Crockett and Wheatley in Oakland. My money is on Kenny Wilson/Marlon Lucky being the #1 guy. Marlon will have the edge because he will have all of spring + 1 more year over Wilson, but Wilson looks to be a monster who could wrestle the job away from him later in the season. Leon Jackson is dynamite waiting to explode, but I don't see him seeing the field a ton, but making an impact when he does. Regardless of who starts, all this competition is going to be great for the team since it will bring out the best in all of these guys.

An interesting situation. As always, my thought is that the one who emerges as the starter will be the one who can best pick up the blitz and has the best hands as a receiver out of the backfield.

All of them can run - that's not the issue, and that won't be what decides it. It'll be who can best handle the other duties...

Fat Tire: I presume that we could employ a rotating tandem as USC did. That is, Lucky at split back/wing back, Glenn at IB with Todd at FB. Then, sometimes going with Glenn at FB and Lucky at IB. I see Jackson (L) backing up Lucky and Wilson backing up Glenn, when at IB.

This rotation should dirive a defensive coordinator a little crazy. It seems to me that having 3 backs in for some formations would be pretty interesting, since any of them could be on pass catching routes, such as screens (thunder, lightning, bulldozer) . Lucky/Jackson on reverses would be interesting out of that wing back slot.

Does anyone think that the move of Jackson back to running back and the recruitment or Wilson means the coaches aren't exactly sold on Lucky and Glenn just yet? The recruitment of Wilson made me wonder if they weren't bringing him in as insurance for the position. As hyped as Lucky and Glenn were coming in, we all saw things about thier game that kept them off the field. Blocking and recieving

are two things that come to mind. I have read several articles about Wilson and everyone of them mentioned his ability to block and catch the ball out of the backfield. He seems to be this years Taylor in that he was bought in to meet a specific need.

Does anyone think that the move of Jackson back to running back and the recruitment or Wilson means the coaches aren't exactly sold on Lucky and Glenn just yet? The recruitment of Wilson made me wonder if they weren't bringing him in as insurance for the position. As hyped as Lucky and Glenn were coming in, we all saw things about thier game that kept them off the field. Blocking and recieving

are two things that come to mind. I have read several articles about Wilson and everyone of them mentioned his ability to block and catch the ball out of the backfield. He seems to be this years Taylor in that he was bought in to meet a specific need.

Glenn didnt receive all the hype like marlon did from rivals and all that. Glenn was pretty much the sleeper. Lucky looks lost out there on the field and if he doesnt make serious strides in the offseason there is no way in hell as of right now he is the starter.