USC and Texas Games

By far our best recruiting tool (besides Blake) is gameday in Lincoln.

The real problem is actually getting prospects to Lincoln for gameday.

This year (like every year) looks like we are targeting a number of "Uber" recruits from Texas and California. So, playing both USC and Texas (maybe twice) this fall is the smartest thing the Huskers could do. You know every major recruit will be either watching or at the USC and Texas games. We beat either USC or Texas, and suddenly Nebraska pops up as legit team in the minds of the local prospects.

Heck for the Texas game, we should invite every "Uber" prospect in the state to come up and watch the Texas/Nebraska game.

Actually, thinking about this, every year Nebraska should play USC, Texas, and either Miami, UF, or FSU since these are the three recruiting hotbeds in the country.

Carroll has cornered the market on the Southern California recruits as of late. In my opinion that is reason number A-1 on why USC has enjoyed so much success in the past few years. He simply stopped other schools from picking out the best talent that is literally right in USC backyard.

However, I do think that there are some kids down there with legit skills that want a better opportunity to start right away and seeing a big name like NU will turn their heads. This theory is also a reason why USC last year, and Alabama af ew years ago travel to Honolulu to play against the mighty rainbows, they enjoy a win (usually), enjoy the area, and try and land the next Fonioti (sp?)

• 4 weeks later...
This theory is also a reason why USC last year, and Alabama af ew years ago travel to Honolulu to play against the mighty rainbows, they enjoy a win (usually), enjoy the area, and try and land the next Fonioti (sp?)

Actually, the main reason teams go to Hawaii to play is that the NCAA allowed those teams an extra game on the schedule more than they otherwise would have been allowed. That and the location makes it attractive for west coast schools to make the flight.

I'm not sure what enticement the NCAA will use now that everybody gets a 12-game schedule.

I wouldnt say that they have cornered the market down there quite yet. We took Lucky out of southern cal. Holt, Congdon, both Picous, Andre Jones... all of these guys were from southern cal. im not sure how many had USC offers, but we were also in on Allen Bradford and Shareece Wright, who both had USC offers, and went to UCLA. I would say that their hold on recruits in Southern California is good, but it isnt a vice grip.

i think prob not......we don't have the scenery or climate or places to enjoy as they do in Calif...sure it would help some, but guys that grow up out there, for the most part, are spoiled and if they can stay there and play, they will......

hunter

well even the ones that do grow up in sunny southern california dont always have the best situation. some want to get away from that and Lincoln isnt as polluted and the crime isnt as bad compared to other places. The ones that are more mature and want to make the best decision for their future and not their party life are the recruits i think we need.

• 2 months later...
Guest greenbayhusker
we don't have the scenery or climate or places to enjoy as they do in Calif

We may not have the climate and scenery California has, but tradition speaks volumes. Tradition is why the players down there who aren't offered scholarships by USC and UCLA will usually come knocking on our door as opposed to attending a San Diego State. If the climate and scenery were significant factors, San Diego State might be a powerhouse!

:restore