USA Today: In Mike Riley, Nebraska finds what it was searching for

Just published at USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2014/12/04/nebraska-mike-riley-coach-oregon-state-analysis/19908547/

By now, you've heard plenty about Riley, stuff like this: good football coach, very good evaluator of talent, even better guy. All of it's true, and only begins to scratch the surface. As you wonder where the hire came from, consider that odd flight way back when, accepting an invitation from a richer rival. Riley is unpretentious. Unconcerned about appearances. And completely unruffled by huge challenges like those posed by life in the shadow cast by a neighboring football power.

(...) Instead of a leap after a coordinator or a hot up-and-comer, the Huskers got a proven Power Five head coach with a track record of success despite adverse circumstances. He's unlikely to be overwhelmed by the expectations or surprised by the obstacles.

Edited by zoogies
split into its own topic. great article!

"Nebraska has been scrabbling with the Iowas and Minnesotas of the world, and getting blown out every time it plays Wisconsin."

Great article. The more I learn about Mike Riley, the more I like. I'm hopeful he can bring us all together, hire top assistant coaches, and with the teaching & support of the entire staff - bring out the best in the players. I think if he can do that we will definitely be more competitive.