Gil Brandt: Bret Bielema turned down Nebraska job

I hate to let facts get in the way of speculation, but you can look at the flight data and see the time line for the movements SE and HP reference. Sure could be any people on a flight from Oakland, CA to Lincoln, NE that then ends up with a flight from Corvallis, OR to Lincoln, NE. But what is missing is any flights to or from Lincoln to where Bielima is. Tough to see an offer made without a face to face happening first. But I guess in a mythical world of footballscoop or highly placed unnamed sources it could.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N102PA/history/20141204/2115Z/KCVO/KLNK

If these people actually have in-the-know sources, why wasn't Riley's name brought up until after the announcement?

If they were talking to Riley since Monday, wouldn't these sources have at the very least mentioned his name?

Not if the sources were acquainted with Bielema's assistants and not someone from Riley's camp. Bielema was rumored to be a candidate. There would be every reason to be snooping around people close to his assistants trying to find out info. No one - literally no one - considered Riley a candidate. There would be no reason to be searing for leaks there.

For some reason you really want this Bielema story to true Mavric. You just don't want to believe that SE could really have Mike Riley as his first choice for this job. I think Riley is precisely his first choice, it all fits IMO. Riley was on his radar from his days when they were searching for Bielema's replacement at Whisky.

The fact that it is an out of the box/ not real conventional hire looks a lot like Barry's style also. No one was thinking Gary Anderson when he hired him, and it was a quick hire.

Again I think it is a bold hire, not a safe hire, it could backfire or be great, but I don't think Riley was 2nd or 3rd choice.

What I want to be true has no bearing. But I think the reports of it being true make more sense than Pearlman's denials.

I didn't want him as our coach. But it lines up with Eichorst. I posted as much on Monday. They know each other from both being at Wisconsin. He's a veteran coach who definitely has championship caliber football experience. He is used to the B1G and being in a place where you don't always get the best recruits. People keep saying he was a headache to Alvarez but the only thing that seems to be a point of contention is salaries for assistants which Eichorst himself basically said aren't an issue here.

I did also say in my post from Monday was the one odd thing was he just left Wisconsin two years ago and would now be moving again. But that says very little about whether we wanted him or not. If we were limiting our search to coaches who haven't changed jobs in the last 2-3 years or ones who we don't think there's any possibility that they'd look to leave sometime in the future, we're putting pretty significant handcuffs on ourselves.

If these people actually have in-the-know sources, why wasn't Riley's name brought up until after the announcement?

If they were talking to Riley since Monday, wouldn't these sources have at the very least mentioned his name?

Not if the sources were acquainted with Bielema's assistants and not someone from Riley's camp. Bielema was rumored to be a candidate. There would be every reason to be snooping around people close to his assistants trying to find out info. No one - literally no one - considered Riley a candidate. There would be no reason to be searing for leaks there.

For some reason you really want this Bielema story to true Mavric. You just don't want to believe that SE could really have Mike Riley as his first choice for this job. I think Riley is precisely his first choice, it all fits IMO. Riley was on his radar from his days when they were searching for Bielema's replacement at Whisky.

The fact that it is an out of the box/ not real conventional hire looks a lot like Barry's style also. No one was thinking Gary Anderson when he hired him, and it was a quick hire.

Again I think it is a bold hire, not a safe hire, it could backfire or be great, but I don't think Riley was 2nd or 3rd choice.

What I want to be true has no bearing. But I think the reports of it being true make more sense than Pearlman's denials.

I didn't want him as our coach. But it lines up with Eichorst. I posted as much on Monday. They know each other from both being at Wisconsin. He's a veteran coach who definitely has championship caliber football experience. He is used to the B1G and being in a place where you don't always get the best recruits. People keep saying he was a headache to Alvarez but the only thing that seems to be a point of contention is salaries for assistants which Eichorst himself basically said aren't an issue here.

I did also say in my post from Monday was the one odd thing was he just left Wisconsin two years ago and would now be moving again. But that says very little about whether we wanted him or not. If we were limiting our search to coaches who haven't changed jobs in the last 2-3 years or ones who we don't think there's any possibility that they'd look to leave sometime in the future, we're putting pretty significant handcuffs on ourselves.

Whaaaat??? You think he lines up with who Eichorst wants, because he plays championship caliber football and knows the guy. At what point in anything that Eichorst has said to be what he was looking for... have been completely defined by playing championship football and knowing the guy??? You do realize that is borderline delusional to believe eichorst wanted that considering the characteristics he was looking for, that he clearly outlined on Sunday and were COMPLETELY reflected in the actual hire? Please ask yourself, would beilema accurately reflect the characteristics he was looking for on sunday? Seriously ask yourself that question.