B1G Bowl Alignments

Creed

I thought they might get better this year but it looks another year of beat downs. How do we get these bad pairings every year? I mean would you rather play Baylor in texas or GT in Miami if you are looking for a marquee bowl win? Our #2 Mich state plays up against Baylor while the SEC #2 gets GT in the Orange.

Does the B1G bowl methodology need to change to be like the SEC? The SEC office assigns their match ups based on the opponent while the B1G immediately fills the spot when they open up.

It is all part of the SEC business model. Great bowl records just feeds SEC hype and the high rankings going into next year.

The B1G went to a tiered system this year but I'm not sure if they were going by match-ups or geography/where teams have played previously.

I would postulate the main problem is the B1G just isn't very good. But I can see a few wins on the slate.

Delaney puts Maryland vs Stanford in Santa Clara - 10 mins from their campus.

I agree tho, the B1G teams are down again but they need some help from the B1G front office to get better match ups. The SEC always managed to get some BCS gimmies vs Hawaii, ND, Big East teams and Utah (oh wait).

I think Delaney was making sure Illinois got a bid as opposed to improving the match ups, record and perception.

Not much to be done about the Foster Farms bowl. It was going to be a Pac-12 opponent so whoever that was had a lot shorter trip. They obviously wanted Stanford to sell tickets. It was (more than likely) going to be Iowa, Penn State or Maryland under the tiered system so not a great matchup no matter what.

I thought that the bowls had the last say on who they want

I think the bowl only get the pecking order for a particular conference and maybe a back up conference if the first conference cant place a team.

Every CFB website prior to Sunday had Mich State vs GT in the Orange but somehow the SEC got to place their #2 team in that major bowl. Mich St gets to play a pissed off higher ranked Baylor team in Texas.

I thought they might get better this year but it looks another year of beat downs. How do we get these bad pairings every year? I mean would you rather play Baylor in texas or GT in Miami if you are looking for a marquee bowl win? Our #2 Mich state plays up against Baylor while the SEC #2 gets GT in the Orange.

Does the B1G bowl methodology need to change to be like the SEC? The SEC office assigns their match ups based on the opponent while the B1G immediately fills the spot when they open up.

It is all part of the SEC business model. Great bowl records just feeds SEC hype and the high rankings going into next year.

I don't think it's as lopsided as it appears. B1G teams are all underdogs, but there isn't one matchup that screams "blowout" to me. That and UNC, Tennessee and ND are not very good this year.

I agree that the bowls are not overmatched this year.

The problem is that a lot of these games are essentially home games.

If they aren't going to treat these things as "vacations" for both sides then they should allow midwest cities with domes to participate. Don't think too many LAers are vacationing in San Diego

No reason why Huskers vs USC can't be played in Minneapolis when they get a dome back. Guarantee the stadium would be more filled than the San Diego game even though the weather is obviously going to suck in December compared to beautiful San Diego

Indy, St. Louis and Detroit. All would work and would have better crowds than a lot of these games.

• Fire 1

I agree and why can't Chicago Soldier Field, Cincy PBS, etc host a bowl game like Nashville does? The B1G will continue to be at a disadvantage until bowl games (which affect perceptions and rankings) and meaningful late season OOC games are played in the Midwest where weather may affect the SEC's speed or the B12 arena fb style offenses.

I agree and why can't Chicago Soldier Field, Cincy PBS, etc host a bowl game like Nashville does? The B1G will continue to be at a disadvantage until bowl games (which affect perceptions and rankings) and meaningful late season OOC games are played in the Midwest where weather may affect the SEC's speed or the B12 arena fb style offenses.

I think Chicago is a different animal since the weather can be treacherous(like Cleveland,Buffalo and Green Bay), but Cincinnati weather is not far from Nashville weather. Cincinnati is also a great town to visit just like Nashville.

Big Ten needs to get rid of September being only about OOC games. Schedule some night games early on in September in conference that matter and we would rather see in better weather.

Nebraska plays BYU, @miami, Wisconsin,@Minny, Sparty, Iowa and @Rutgers.

Instead of playing @Miami in September that game should be played in October. Good weather regardless.

Sparty is a non-division match-up vs two ranked teams next year. National broadcast at 8 in September.

I'm all for keeping November being for Championships(SEC east is boring in November) so play Minnesota, Northwestern, Iowa and Turdue every November. But September and October marketing should be maximized and scheduling is a big part of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea we have some of the best indoor and outdoor facilities in the country up north but again we have 1 sec/espn team playing BIG in their home state(I bet we get the sarcastic "home" team label) 2 sec/espn teams in the state right next to their home state, only Missouri has a a bit of travel though the game is still in sec land of course. Considering the circumstances statistically like in any sport a 1-3 is about best what anyone can expect between on par teams. The day southern teams bring 3 teams up north and win 2 of 3 Ill be the first to congratulate them, till then I'm not at all impressed.