TE play

I was just thinking, we had quite a bit of success near the end of the season without any TE play whatsoever. And to think that one of the most important position, if not most important, is the TE, in Callahan's offense. Will this hurt Zac at all? It's almost like he'll have to learn how to incorporate the position back into the offense. That is of course if Herian or McNeil can play this year.

It can only help with having more options to throw to. Josh Mueller did finally start to show some spark at the end of the season. Phillips actually had some YAC rather than his usual catch and fall down. Since the O-line HAS to improve the TE won't be needed as much to stay and block in order to protect Zac. A healthy Herian will be a welcome addition to the offense and he should have a monster year.

:restore2

I think what Eric was alluding to is the fact that Taylor will - assuming we have a viable tight end - have to change his progressions and the areas of the field he looks to. I can see the point - if you aren't used to looking at a particular spot, or at a particular position in your progressions, you have to "learn" to do so. A legitimate question.

Having said all that, I think Taylor can do it and do it easily. The issue won't be with Taylor - it will be whether the line gives him time to make those reads, just as always.

Zac's obviously got a pretty good football head on him. I am sure he will be able to use the TE fine, with some practice this spring/fall.

We threw to the TE a few times this year, but it will be nice to have some kind of real threat across the middle.

I haven't been able to really understand the idea that the TE is so incredibly important to Callahan. If you look at his performance with the Raiders and here, the TE hasn't been that important. When Gruden was the head coach they tended to use Dudley more, after he left the TE usage dropped off.

I did a post on this a while back on the rivals board with the stats, but have no idea where it is anymore and don't want to look everything up again today.. !

Well I think Taylor knows the progressions with TEs in the lineup. I'm sure he practiced it a bunch before last season, and early on in the season this year. After we realized we didn't have much in the way of a receiving TE, we started backing off the plays with TEs running receiving routes.

However, he knows how to do it. I think with Herian and/or McNeill out there, it'll probably take a few good completions and he'll be comfortable throwing to the TEs again. Last year.. man dropped pass after dropped pass by the TEs had to have hurt his confidence. We have one or two that can catch... BIG threat.

Actually there wasn't much difference in the play of the tightends from beginning to end. In fact their production was a little better at the end of the season:

Game 1:

Sievers, C. 2-12; Phillips, J.B. 2-7

Game 2:

Sievers, Chad 1-7

Game 3:

Phillips, J.B. 2-8; Sievers, Chad 1-3

Game 4:

Sievers, C. 1 – 6; Phillips, J.B. 1 – 5

Game 5:

Phillips, J.B. 1-10

Game 6:

No catches

Game 7:

Phillips, J.B. 1-5

Game 8:

Sievers, C. 1-11

Game 9:

Phillips, J.B. 2-14

Game 10:

Phillips 2-28; Mueller 1-18

Game 11:

Phillips, J.B. 3-21

Game 12 (Bowl):

Phillips, J.B. 1-10

Well, I changed my mind, here are the past records or TE usage for the Raiders:

year, coach, receptions, average, TD's

1997 -Bugel - 48 - 787yds - 16.4 - 7TD

1998 -Gruden - 43 - 638yds - 14.8 - 5TD's

1999 -Gruden - 46 - 626yds - 13.6 - 10TD's

2000 -Gruden - 42 - 457yds - 10.9 - 6TD's

2001 -Gruden - 45 - 383yds - 8.5 - 4TD's

2002 -Callahan - 59 - 622yds - 10.5 - 2TD's

2003 -Callahan - 50 - 447yds - 8.9 - 2 TD's

While a bit of that really seems to reflect the decline and fall of Ricky Dudley's career, I think we can make the assumption that the TE seems to be used almost as much if not more under Callahan, but for whatever reason (system or playcalling) they are less of a threat and more of an outlet to the offense - in general, they seem to have fewer yards per reception and fewer touchdowns by the TE's. The number of receptions in 2002 might also reflect a much higher tilt toward the pass in that season.

So, I think that we can make the case that the TE is important for Callahan because it serves as an outlet for the QB when the other options don't work, and that they are needed to keep the chains moving. They don't appear to be critical for stretching the field or forcing the safety to play to make decisions downfield.

They don't appear to be critical for stretching the field or forcing the safety to play to make decisions downfield.

I disagree. While they probably aren't a concern of the saftey's they are a concern of the LB's. If you have a solid weapon at TE, they stretch the field in that they make LB's have to be aware of the crossing TE at any given time (given the right formation).

Either way, it will be good when we can get a TE in that can make something happen.

They don't appear to be critical for stretching the field or forcing the safety to play to make decisions downfield.

I disagree. While they probably aren't a concern of the saftey's they are a concern of the LB's. If you have a solid weapon at TE, they stretch the field in that they make LB's have to be aware of the crossing TE at any given time (given the right formation).

Either way, it will be good when we can get a TE in that can make something happen.

Sure they are a concern for the defense at some level, but my point was that the TE under Callahan doesn't appear to be used for stretching the field. At Oakland the TE's averaged 10.5 and 8.9 yards per receptions and 2 TD's a year - those aren't the numbers for a TE who is working downfield too often. It looks more like short yardage plays designed to give the QB an out when other options are taken away.

It would be nice to get a TE who could make something happen, but based on past performance by TE's under Callahan, we shouldn't be looking for someone to have a year like Herian did in 2003 when he had 22 receptions, 484 yards, 3TD's and a 22 yards per reception average.