TE play

Something to consider however. How many tight ends are a vertical threat in the NFL. Not that many. Gates, Gonzalez, Heap, Shockey, and maybe a couple of others I am missing. Herian is one of those guys, as he showed in the first few games of the 04 season. With a quarterback to throw to him, he may be a very significant threat to stretch the field against slower linebackers and safeties who have to make decisions.

Something to consider however. How many tight ends are a vertical threat in the NFL. Not that many. Gates, Gonzalez, Heap, Shockey, and maybe a couple of others I am missing. Herian is one of those guys, as he showed in the first few games of the 04 season. With a quarterback to throw to him, he may be a very significant threat to stretch the field against slower linebackers and safeties who have to make decisions.

He's definitely a weapon and if he's healthy he can only help this team.

Just a thought:

Athough BC is the head coach, could he possibly be influenced by his assistants?

Remember.....Watson and Gilmore are former CU coaches with extensive WCO experience.... If I remember correctly, they use Daniel Graham and Klopfenstien(sp) to just "kill" NU during the past seasons.... Both these guys "spread" the field under these two coaches......

Hopefully BC will at least listen to them.....

Just a thought:

Athough BC is the head coach, could he possibly be influenced by his assistants?

Remember.....Watson and Gilmore are former CU coaches with extensive WCO experience.... If I remember correctly, they use Daniel Graham and Klopfenstien(sp) to just "kill" NU during the past seasons.... Both these guys "spread" the field under these two coaches......

It will be interesting to see how much influence Watson has here. I liked how their version of the WCO (off topic: does it mean anything to say that something is a WCO anymore.. there are SO many variations), was able to run the ball between the tackles and make teams pay if they couldn't control the box on D - then slam them with the TE deep when they compensated against the run. They put the hurt on us more than a couple of times.

I'm sure BC knows what he has in Herian and coach Watson said he was eager to coach Herian. If Herian is back at full strength I think you will see him running down the field on some long pass plays as well as his short turn ins. When you have a weapon that you didn't have last year, your going to make the other Big 12 coaches think about having to cover that type of big threat player. The more time that our opponents have to spend on that problem the less time they have to work on other schemes. Even if we never throw a long pass to Herian, just the threat has to worry a defensive coordinator. IMHO.

GBR!!!

Just a thought:

Remember.....Watson and Gilmore are former CU coaches with extensive WCO experience.... If I remember correctly, they use Daniel Graham and Klopfenstien(sp)  to just "kill" NU during the past seasons....  Both these guys "spread" the field under these two coaches......

It will be interesting to see how much influence Watson has here. I liked how their version of the WCO (off topic: does it mean anything to say that something is a WCO anymore.. there are SO many variations), was able to run the ball between the tackles and make teams pay if they couldn't control the box on D - then slam them with the TE deep when they compensated against the run. They put the hurt on us more than a couple of times.

Hopefully Coach Callahan will allow their input and expertise in TE usage within the WCO. The more weapons the better.

Could it be that Herian had such a great 2003 was because he was the only really gifted receiver that year? Certainly with the weapons we'll have this year at WR, Herian couldn't be expected to have that kind of repeat peerformance.

On the other hand, that many weapons will also mean that they can't blanket him, and it should open up opportunities for the tight end.