New, True Pro Style Offense Vs. Gimmicky Offense Run Now?

Im rather obsessed with the psychology that goes into playing a game. Its so mentality and state of mind to me. And ive thought for a couple years now that our style of offense and defense just sucked all aggressive energy out of ghe mindset of our players. Read and react as opposed to dictating and going at someone, straight up doing what you want to do. And in a sport like football, an aggressive mindset is a top priority.

Nothing wrong with aggressiveness, I 110% agree with you on this one. The first knock on the spread style - for me, personally - is just a perceived lack of toughness. Don't get me wrong - Oregon is tough, as is Ohio State. But they can recruit to that, and have always recruited to that style. Not to mention, they've got capital with recruits. Nebraska doesn't at this point. Gotta get a tough, physical style of football in Lincoln again. The kind where people look and say, "those guys are the bullies on the block." Once you do that, you could recruit the next NFL team, LOL...

The "check with me" system creates a mentality of relying on the sideline, not your own eyes, and brains Lets be honest here, it got started in high schools where they had a amazing athlete who just could not figure out how to read a defense, so they signal it in at the last min instead of the QB having to read the defense at the line, and making an audible based on what he sees. his is the second knock on the spread for me.

This is the other knock on it for me. Again, when I look at most of the pro style guys (like Wilson, Brady, Manning, Brees, etc), they are all amazing competitors that are, first and foremost, students of the game. Hell, look at Brady. Dude is the prime example of looking at a guy's athletic talent over his heart, underestimating the guy's drive and determination. Look at the the six guys drafted BEFORE Brady:

Chad Pennington - Round 1, Pick 18

Giovanni Carmazzi - Round 3, Pick 65

Chris Redman - Round 3, Pick 75

Tee Martin - Round 5, Pick 163

Marc Bulger - Round 6, Pick 168

Spergon Wynn (our favorite) - Round 6, Pick 183

Tom Brady - Round 6, Pick 199

Why is he so successful? Cause he's a student of the game, you can't tell the guy he can't be successful, coaches be damned. That's the kind of guy we need here as a QB.

And, all the guys I mentioned above (Wilson, Brady, Manning, Brees, etc)? They're great leaders, every one of em. All of em, except Manning, it was deemed that they'd be unsuccessful in the NFL ranks because of whatever. For Brady, he was a six round draft pick, wasn't going anywhere. Not like that guy named Drew Bledsoe that was ahead of him. I mean, let's face it:

BradyComb_original.png?1364371875

Does THIS look like a future NFL Hall-of-Famer?!? Dude looks like he'd be the store manager at the local Kroger.

For Wilson and Brees....they were too short to play QB in the NFL. Check out the pre-draft report negative on Brees:

Negatives...Plays in the spread offense, taking the bulk of his snaps from the shotgun...Tends to side-arm his passes going deep...Lacks accuracy and touch on his long throws...Seems more comfortable in the short/intermediate passing attack...Does not possess the ideal height you look for in a pro passer, though his ability to scan the field helps him compensate in this area...Will improvise and run when the passing lanes are clogged, but tends to run through defenders rather than trying to avoid them to prevent unnecessary punishment.

And Wilson:

Wilson's height will be his biggest inhibitor at the next level and the largest reason for his late-round value. It remains to be seen if he can throw effectively from the pocket at the next level.

Don't always want the stud athlete. I want a freaking guy who can just straight ball, not necessarily run a 4.3 40.

Finally - I hate to quote this horrible movie, but every time I see one of these guys look towards the sideline, I think of this:

hortdog, I was so impressed with Oregon's physicality. Especially by their defense in how they just took it to Florida St. That is not a soft finesse team. They get after it. And I guess that's what I'd like to see more of. You can be a gimmicky spread this, option that offense and still be physical. Same with Ohio St.

hortdog, I was so impressed with Oregon's physicality. Especially by their defense in how they just took it to Florida St. That is not a soft finesse team. They get after it. And I guess that's what I'd like to see more of. You can be a gimmicky spread this, option that offense and still be physical. Same with Ohio St.

Oh yeah, I don't dispute both Oregon and Ohio State's ability to run it with a physical nature behind it. Again, though - they have advantages over other schools.

Ohio State is in a recruiting bed in Ohio, and Oregon has Phil Knight from Nike. That gives them a leg up on everybody else trying to recruit to that style off offense.

See above. Here's my point I'm trying to make here. Urban Meyer can run that offense because he recruits to run it, and he KNOWS HOW TO RUN IT. Huskers aren't built that way anymore, and can't recruit that way. When the Huskers were contending for championships, other teams (that were running traditional offenses) saw something. They said, "Hey - Nebraska has made a living on this...those guys may be onto something...?"

So what'd they do? Start recruiting players like that. That's why you have an Oregon, TCU, Florida that are contending for championships. But again, with that being said.....if you're not successful, you can't recruit to that type of player.

Look at the goal-to-go situations for Ohio State in the first half last night. Bammer was slamming the door on them early on. If you can't line up and get 3 to 5 yards from under center, it says something.

I just don't like the style of offense because if you don't have the hosses for it - it lacks a physicality to it when you need it late in a game. That's all.

EDIT:

My argument? Baylor, Auburn, Navy, Arizona, Mississippi State, and yes, Nebraska all run a very similar style of spread offense. All 0-fer. Why? When they needed toughness at a certain point, they only had finesse.

Welp.....

Looks like once again, finesse got smacked dead in the grill last night. Dayum.

Scary good team in Columbus, OH. And Meyer thought they were one year AWAY?!? Holy crap.