New, True Pro Style Offense Vs. Gimmicky Offense Run Now?

Zach was a beast. Possibly one of the toughest qb's to play at NU. He took a beating. I also really liked Zac Lee and think 2010 could have been different with him at the helm. ie we win the conference....

I would have no objections to a pro style O like Stanford or Bama. Would actually like to see a qb's who could actually read the d, make the checks and go through at least 2 progressions. Don't need one who is a runner, but one who can run if needed.

I agree, but I do not want today's pro style offense. Way too much emphasis on passing.

The one thing I am concerned about with Riley's offense is a statue QB. Whenever I think "Pro Style" Offense, I think "Statue QB", and I hate when the offense plays 10 vs. 11.

It helps that Armstrong and Stanton have running ability, I just hope that Riley continues to recruit guys who can run when needed. Zac Taylor was a tough guy, but the reason he took so many hits is because he was a statue back there, and the d-linemen could just tee off on him.

The real reason Zac Taylor took so many hits isn't because he was a statue, it was because the O-Line didn't do their jobs and block properly. Not every QB in a pro style offense gets beat like a drum every play. Some teams actually protect their QB.

Yes, the O-line sucked back then. But it's a lot easier for d-linemen and blitzers to attack the QB if they know he is going to be standing in the exact same spot every pass play.

I am in favor of a mobile QB that's at least a threat to run on offense.

The one thing I am concerned about with Riley's offense is a statue QB. Whenever I think "Pro Style" Offense, I think "Statue QB", and I hate when the offense plays 10 vs. 11.

It helps that Armstrong and Stanton have running ability, I just hope that Riley continues to recruit guys who can run when needed. Zac Taylor was a tough guy, but the reason he took so many hits is because he was a statue back there, and the d-linemen could just tee off on him.

If one looks at the NFL there are very few "statue" qb out there. Almost every team has moved to a qb with some esapability. The only two great NFL qbs I can think of that are still playing and are considered statues are Manning and Brady. Every other starting playoff qb has some mobility, and some even have a lot of mobility

This whole idea that a pro style offense is bad, needs to go away. 3 of the 4 playoff teams run some sort of pro style offense. Oregon is the only one that most would agree is "pass happy". We are not going to have that type of offense.

Nebraska has had a 60/40 run pass over the past 7 years. I don't foresee that changing more than 5 percentage points to maybe 55/45.

Wisconsin, Alabama, and Stanford are 3 schools that I can think of off the top of my head that run pro style offenses. There is some variation depending on personnel, but for the most part their identity is smashmouth running football.

Those 3 schools have had their best offensive years when they had a mobile QB.

Wisky: Russell Wilson

Stanford: Andrew Luck

Bama: Blake Sims

• Fire 1

Wisconsin, Alabama, and Stanford are 3 schools that I can think of off the top of my head that run pro style offenses. There is some variation depending on personnel, but for the most part their identity is smashmouth running football.

Yeah, I'd cross Bama off there. Honestly think they were better with Mccarron and McElroy. Both dudes were statues

• Fire 1

Yeah, I'd cross Bama off there. Honestly think they were better with Mccarron and McElroy. Both dudes were statues
I guess I'd have to disagree. I think they are more dangerous on O this year, but Lane Kiffin deserves some credit for that too.

I guess I'd have to disagree. I think they are more dangerous on O this year, but Lane Kiffin deserves some credit for that too.
I deserve this....WOOF
  • Fire 1

I deserve this....WOOF

You're still my boy blue

• Fire 1