New, True Pro Style Offense Vs. Gimmicky Offense Run Now?

Was suggested I put this in its own thread.

Here's my take on this (and also on Coach Riley):

Since when does a QB have to do this every play:

Offense_Looks_To_Sideline.jpg

I am sick of the newer, 'check with me' style of offense. It's the kind of offense you run with little 10 - 12 year old youth who are still learning how to play the game. Hell, it's not even how check-with-me originally worked. QB would have two or three plays. Guys would check with the QB at the LOC on what was being run. It was up to the QB to make the call. Today's 'check with me' doesn't do that.

It handcuffs the thought process of a quarterback. It doesn't require discipline of a QB to know what he's seeing. He just goes out there, and reacts the way the coaches want him to - after looking to the sideline for help. How does that help him see the robber, or quarters coverage, or properly read a zone blitzing back who is about to blast him into next week?

Simple. It doesn't. It makes simpletons of a game that is complex.

You know why we have had QBs that have been so loose with the ball? Because they aren't being taught to read a defense. I'm not talking just about our guys - I'm talking about guys like a RGIII, or a guy like Johnny Football a/k/a the Money Badger. I like RGIII, but the skillset to read a D isn't there. Wasn't asked to do it in college - the coaches did it for him. In the pro game, you don't get that luxury.

My father used to always say, "There are some old things that we do which make no sense to do, but there are some old things we do that make perfect sense to do."

Can we please stop worrying about the current players and how they're going to adjust to the game?

Armstrong is a quarterback.
Stanton is a quarterback.
Fyfe is a quarterback.

Last I checked, the definition of a quarterback is to be the guy out on the field that puts players in the right position. Can we say our QBs have done that? If so, when was the last time we saw that?

I know when (damn me for putting this out there)....

No matter what anybody says - this dude was one of the most UNDERRATED QBs in school history, and in my opinion, the last guy who actually was a prototypical QB.

Line up. Read the D. Audible if need be. Call out protections. Understand the game. That's the job of a QB, and it is what they will be asked to do by the new head coach.

I applaud the guy and hope he does well.
  • Fire 4

Joe Ganz was every bit the quarterback that Zac was, and ran essentially the same system.

This is a good post though. Refreshing perspective.

Don't disagree. But remember - we're talking decision making right?

Only reason why Alex Henery has a 57 yard school record field goal? Cause Ganz took a HUGE sack on the previous play. :)

Zach was a beast. Possibly one of the toughest qb's to play at NU. He took a beating. I also really liked Zac Lee and think 2010 could have been different with him at the helm. ie we win the conference....

I would have no objections to a pro style O like Stanford or Bama. Would actually like to see a qb's who could actually read the d, make the checks and go through at least 2 progressions. Don't need one who is a runner, but one who can run if needed.

• Fire 1

Joe Ganz was every bit the quarterback that Zac was, and ran essentially the same system.

Only reason why Alex Henery has a 57 yard school record field goal? Cause Ganz took a HUGE sack on the previous play. :)

Joe was always good for 1 Inopportune int per game....

Joe was always good for 1 Inopportune int per game....

Joe had a few but let's not forget all the games that he won for us by playing extremely smart and efficient as well.

Neither was perfect - Zac stunk it up pretty badly in the later moments of Oklahoma State, and threw three really bad picks against OU.

I am going to respectfully disagree here.

Why? You realize among active quarterbacks his senior season he had the 3rd best career passer rating behind Sam Bradford and Tim Tebow?

Better passer rating, better completion percentage, more yardage, better runner. Not saying that's proof of anything but I don't know how you take one over the other.

I am going to respectfully disagree here.

Why? You realize among active quarterbacks his senior season he had the 3rd best career passer rating behind Sam Bradford and Tim Tebow?

Better passer rating, better completion percentage, more yardage, better runner. Not saying that's proof of anything but I don't know how you take one over the other.

MNC in 2009 with Joe at the helm. No doubt in my mind. Man what could've been......