Help me understand something

So schools are guaranteeing your scholly if you can run fast or catch a ball etc but crap out at the college level but have no problem yanking a scholarship from a kid who can't keep above a certain gpa for his academic scholarship?

I'm pretty sure the guarantee has stipulations about adhering to university policy, and remaining academically eligible. The guarantee is more of an assurance that the football equivalent of a "c" student does not lose the scholarship.

And actually stays on the football team. If you quit football after 2 years, you are not going to be on scholarship the remaining 2 years.

So schools are guaranteeing your scholly if you can run fast or catch a ball etc but crap out at the college level but have no problem yanking a scholarship from a kid who can't keep above a certain gpa for his academic scholarship?

I'm pretty sure the guarantee has stipulations about adhering to university policy, and remaining academically eligible. The guarantee is more of an assurance that the football equivalent of a "c" student does not lose the scholarship.

And actually stays on the football team. If you quit football after 2 years, you are not going to be on scholarship the remaining 2 years.

Unless there is an injury. Career ending injuries convert to a general scholarship.

So, we have these lopsided recruiting classes and have for a long time. I get why. We have a certain # leaving each year and it just kind of turns out that way. Then it continues because 4-5 years later that small class graduates. But here's what I don't get...

Last year we took 24, which is a big class. This year we can take... I dunno how many, I just know it's small. Wouldn't it have been wiser to save a couple of last year's scholarships for really good players this year instead of offering 6 2-star players? (Let's just assume for a minute that stars mean everything and those players aren't all diamonds in the rough... and obviously we needed Brown. Then there's Bush when we needed a QB last minute because Darlington got injured).

Or does every team just stack and take the max each year even if they get a lot of less-talented players to top off the years where they have a lot of scholarships?

Sometimes the numbers are misleading as well. Last year for example, we signed 24 guys. Many, however, did not make it to campus. Lorenzo Stewart (RB) and Monte Harrison (WR) were never going to make it to campus, and the staff knew this. Therefore they went out and signed a new RB and grabbed some late WRs as well.

So, on paper we took 24 when the staff knew that only 21 or so guys were going to make it to campus. Overall, I agree with Mavric. I think it's better to hold off a tad instead of just bringing in warm bodies. That's why I get nervous when I hear the staff say something like they want to bring in 7 LBs for this class. I don't care if you're Alabama, you're just not going to find that many quality players who'll agree to come into a situation like that.