A New Rival

to understand the future you have to understand the past

NEBRASKA 802 - 321 - 42 #3 ALL-TIME

SINCE 1962 - 428 - 79 - 5

SINCE 1997 - 72 - 29

SINCE 2000 - 51 - 24

History repeats itself, NEBRASKA may not be the BIG BULLY that everyone is scared of anymore, but they're along way away from being a has been program, They need to embrace the past to a point but SELL the future. I have been behind CALLAHAN from the start (never liked solich as a head coach) It's going to get better - NEBRASKA's had it good for so long that 2 or 3 years of being average isn't going to bury this program, Sure it's been rough but NEBRASKA'S beat up on everyone for so long that you have to let these other teams get their shot's in while they can. Once CALLAHAN gets these players to believe in his system we'll be fine. Just wait till next year - I think with all the players NEBRASKA has back they will suprise some people. :restore2

I agree chad. I doubt that we accomplish what TO did in that 5 year stretch, in honesty I doubt anyone ever does. But we have turned the corner. Play with fire and determination, win some, lose some but play like Nebraska. Never quit and never be totally out classed like we have been in the not to distant past. Sell the future.

Never look back, what is done is done, good or bad. The future is bright and I am on board for the long ride (well as long as I live, hopefully another 10-15 years).

I agree chad.  I doubt that we accomplish what TO did in that 5 year stretch, in honesty I doubt anyone ever does.  But we have turned the corner.  Play with fire and determination, win some, lose some but play like Nebraska.  Never quit and never be totally out classed like we have been in the not to distant past.  Sell the future.

Never look back, what is done is done, good or bad. The future is bright and I am on board for the long ride (well as long as I live, hopefully another 10-15 years).

I think alot of people on this board are young, I'm 34 but I've been watching since I've been 5 years old when I could actually follow and grasp a whole game - I've had my heart broke many a time, I remember all of them and some of them still drive me NUTS!!!! Thank god I never had to see them be horrible like my dad and grandpa did. The younger fans don't know how good they've had it since 1993,. that was the year the transformation was completed. Before 1993 it was ugly losing in all those bowl games and losing to OU with that damn Sooner Magic, So everyone should take their lumps and look to the future because it is BRIGHT.

You get the tradition and history comments from those that have signed.

Most made the comment they know little about Nebraska other than we ran an antiquated offense. Now that BC is here that has changed and no one could be happier about that.

I agree totally the problem has left. I am a big fan of BC and have sent alot of money to the program since he was hired.

This program was living in the past with Frank at the controls. I like Frank and I personally know him. I have not met BC yet, was suppose to this fall during the Wake Forest week, but had a near death in the family and did not get back on the day I was suppose to see him. I have spoken to him on the phone twice and I am very impressed with him to say the least. I have voiced that since day one. I have been a booster of this program for over 30 years and I am not talking a couple of hundred a year.

I love this team and program and admire the history and tradition. Lately that is all we have had to hang our hats on. I want new history and tradition yearly that I can be proud of. Look forward young man that is the future and what we need to prevail in. I never want this program to have to only think about the past and how great it was. Every year needs to be great, but we need to only worry about who is getting better and who our competition is not who we have beaten 10 years ago.

We are on the same page, I am just alot older I would guess, and I still want some great games and future wins that I can razz my SC friends about.

We are on track to RESTORE THE ORDER. But it only has to do with the coaching staff and their ability to bring in the right kids to the program. We were badly out recruited this year by the top programs. But I have faith that BC will make this work and next year we will see the recruiting year we all want. That my friend will be the History and Tradition that the 2006 seniors can look at and make the decession to join the BIG RED!!!.

we are not on the same page... you talk about how history isnt important then end your statement that the 2006 seniors can look back at history...

it makes me sick that you consider us not to be a top program, we are only the 3rd or 4th most winning team of all time..

if all you are worried about is your SC friends... nevermind... and if you need to be reminded of tradition yearly... yikes.

you cant grade a recruiting class until they are finished here. just because rivals didnt give all our recruits 5 stars doesnt mean we were out recruited... tell that to the coaches that are out there recruiting.. go to Coach Callahan and his staff on fan day and tell them that they were out-recruited.

there is no exact science to recruiting. have more faith in the recruits we signed. at least we are filling out our classes, Frank the tank couldnt accomplish that. sh#t we've been out recruited for years with frank at the helm... i can give you statistics, if you wish, that agree with my statement.

even though a lot of recruits that didnt sign here mentioned the tradition and history, but obviously the negatives that other programs spat out influenced their decision. that sort of thing happens, look at how many recruits switched their LOI on signing day.

but the ones that did sign is all that matters.. its who wants to be here, not who rivals or scout says that is the top 100 yadda yadda yadda and wants to go to a program that will blow smoke up their ass till they sign at their school.

I agree chad.  I doubt that we accomplish what TO did in that 5 year stretch, in honesty I doubt anyone ever does.  But we have turned the corner.  Play with fire and determination, win some, lose some but play like Nebraska.  Never quit and never be totally out classed like we have been in the not to distant past.  Sell the future.

I think alot of people on this board are young, I'm 34 but I've been watching since I've been 5 years old when I could actually follow and grasp a whole game - I've had my heart broke many a time, I remember all of them and some of them still drive me NUTS!!!! Thank god I never had to see them be horrible like my dad and grandpa did. The younger fans don't know how good they've had it since 1993,. that was the year the transformation was completed. Before 1993 it was ugly losing in all those bowl games and losing to OU with that damn Sooner Magic, So everyone should take their lumps and look to the future because it is BRIGHT.

I think our history lets still lets the coaches get their foot in the door that some other schools can't get in. I will always think of the past teams and what they started for this program. skerfan has a point, it is time to look ahead but never forget the past greatness. We will be back sooner than later and never fall off as bad as Ala did or Okl. I for one am glad I was able to see this team thru the 60's till now. What a great ride it was. We won some huge games and we lost some but for those of you that weren't there to see the Huskers on the big stage year in and year out you will never know what you missed. Even those losses in the bowl games couldn't take away from what each of those teams did during the season. They always played hard right up to the final gun and you new next year we would be in another big bowl game. I always hate to see them lose and of course I always want them to win, but the bottom line is win or lose I just love to watch them play.

GBR!!!

Pig,

You can say all you want about recruiting this and that. Top classes bring NC's. It has been proven over the last 6 or 7 years. Again living in the past.

Done talking about it.

You have your ideas about what is important and what isn't. I have mine. We both cheer for the Big Red and that really all that is important.

Good Day Sir.

Pig,

You can say all you want about recruiting this and that. Top classes bring NC's. It has been proven over the last 6 or 7 years. Again living in the past.

Done talking about it.

You have your ideas about what is important and what isn't. I have mine. We both cheer for the Big Red and that really all that is important.

Good Day Sir.

lol ok. no doubt having great recruiting classes is a must and we did well this year in recruiting. you want guys with fire and desire and great work ethic. there are some things about football players you cant measure with a stopwatch. maybe you should go and watch some film of the guys we did sign. you might be impressed. you can say i am living in the past thats fine but im not the one ignoring it. without our illustrious history we wouldnt be just another football program.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks. I want to thank all with kind words towards Texas and our fanbase. Oh and for the poster who mentioned the expansion, you are correct. We'll be up to 90,000 but will only be half done when you fine folks come visit us next year.

I would very much like to see NU be able to play OU every year. Rivalries are important to college football and trying to force CU as a rival was a poor move by the conference. They simply are not your historical equals in any sense. NU/OU has a history of excellence and I would love to see the conference find a way to restore it to a yearly matchup.

As for NU/Texas I've loved both our games and the build up to them since the conference began. How about we just plan to meet in the CCG every year? ;O)

Heck, that's USC and FLorida. We just want the ones from Texas. This year I'd love if you guys grabbed Ryan Mallett though. I don't think he's coming to Texas and quite honestly I don't trust Greg Davis to design an offense around a pure pocket passer (even one as talented as Ryan). I know Ryan's also looking at Michigan and their NFL QB pedigree is tough to beat. I'm still hoping he chooses the Huskers though.