Big 12 North 2006 Commits Rankings

#20..NU..4*s- 5, 5*s- 1

#38..KU..4*s- 1, 5*s- 0

#41.KSU.4*s- 2, 5*s- 0

#47..MU..4*s- 1, 5*s- 0

#48..CU..4*s- 0, 5*s- 0

#63.ISU..4*s- 0, 5*s- 0

The ranking are not the end all, of course. What develops with good coaching and a kid's determination can make up for the rankings. However, it seems that there is a trend here, especially with the more established coaches, such as, at MU and ISU. KU appeared to do reasonably well, but then they lost perhaps the most.

NU now has an experienced staff PLUS an experienced QB. If defenses win championships, we look pretty well in that dept too!

Not having a QB recruit this session is really going to help our recruiting of a top flight signal caller from the 2007 class. I say that because the recruits will know that by the time that they have a redshirt behind them, Beck will be done and graduated. Freeman would have changed that perception. What do you think of our opportunity given that circumstance?

I am hoping we will get 2 signal callers next year. One upper echelon, and one of those underrated 3 star players this staff seems to find(or maybe this will be philip bates??). Playing time will be a big bonus for us to hold in front of them, obviously having a second consecutive successful season under these coaches will help too, maybe less trash talk by others about how our coaches are on thin ice. Its hard to believe that next year wont be a success on and off of the field for our huskers.

Why do you think that Carney, Cotton and company had such a lousy recruiting class, since they had a good enough season to go to a bowl? Are you surprized that MU, CU and KSU did better?

ISU seems to take a "shotgun" approach to their recruiting. They always bring in a big mix of 2 and 3-star athletes and then keep the ones that they like the next year. I think they are pretty aggressive about quickly weeding out the guys that don't work out. In general, it works for them. They can't recruit head to head with Texas or even NU for the most part, so they need to get an angle that works. Over the past few years they've been:

year/rank/average

2006: 63 2.50 average stars

2005: 58 2.52 average

2004: 42 2.43 average

2003: 46 2.46 average

2002: 30 2.77 average

So they've been recruiting about the same level of players every year and their 2.5 average this year is right in the middle of what they've been doing. Whatever they get ranked seems to be separate from how they are recruiting and they seem to be recruiting the same type of athlete as before. Either way, when you start evaluating 2 and 3 start players (and Juco's especially), I think the level of certainty starts to fall off quickly.

Not having a QB recruit this session is really going to help our recruiting of a top flight signal caller from the 2007 class. I say that because the recruits will know that by the time that they have a redshirt behind them, Beck will be done and graduated. Freeman would have changed that perception. What do you think of our opportunity given that circumstance?

given the situation that they did not have a guy left to really get excited about for this class, i think that is exactly how they (coaches) saw it too......knowing they could really offer a 2007 guy a shot after one year in the system.....one would hope that would be a big incentive and attract a top line qb prospect......but then again? ...we have seen our coaches strategy fail before (Freeman)......so who knows, but it makes some sense......

hunter

If you truly believe in the system the program uses, then the QB situation should not be of a great concern right now. If NU goes out and signs two signal callers for 07', the QB situation should be in really nice shape for 07'.

Sure, losing Freeman sucks, but he wasn't in the plans for 06' at all. Just recruit like hell a QB or two for 07' and the rest will work out fine.

By the way, I live in Kansas, and from what I hear out of Manhattan is Allan Everidge could be keeping Freeman out of being the starter for KSU til' 09'. If all works out with Everidge, and I think it will, Allan is the guy.

***SNIP***

By the way, I live in Kansas, and from what I hear out of Manhattan is Allan Everidge could be keeping Freeman out of being the starter for KSU til' 09'. If all works out with Everidge, and I think it will, Allan is the guy.

Which will be very interesting to watch - will Freeman pout and transfer? The entire point of signing with K-State was for immediate playing time, after all...

cause the stupid little twit and his old man listened to Prince, who blew smoke up their collective a$$e$.....with the thought that if Freeman could not play qb, they could switch him to TE, or another position....if might be pretty entertaining to see how this whole Prince/Freeman saga works out, but if Prince told him he had a great shot at starting qb and he doesn't get to and is immediately switched to TE or another position, then Prince will lose a helluva lot of future creditability.....

hunter

Coach Prince sure has hit the ground running in Manhattan. The alumns and fanbase, I've never seen the off-season energy so high. The question remains.... a big one at that..... can he coach at all? The guy can recruit all he wants, gotta coach the players up when they arrive on campus. Nobody knows.

Coach Prince sure has hit the ground running in Manhattan. The alumns and fanbase, I've never seen the off-season energy so high. The question remains.... a big one at that..... can he coach at all? The guy can recruit all he wants, gotta coach the players up when they arrive on campus. Nobody knows.

Well, based on all the talent he had at Virginia and the crappy offense that he directed there, I would think he would have been the most questionable coaching hire in the country this past offseason. Hopefully, for his sake, he puts good assistants around him. Interesting side note, I just read "What it Means to Be a Husker" and Johnny the Jet said he didn't think the Bobfather was a great coach, he just surrounded himself with great assistants and delegated well and related to his players well.