Have Amercian Colleges Failed US

I received this eml link recently and thought I'd share for discussion. Questions that it brings up:

Is political correctness getting in the way of quality education?

Getting back to your original post, I'd have to say 'no' to this. Running a university is a balancing act that has to be struck somewhere between maintaining complete order in all things and letting the inmates run the asylum. American universities do a pretty fair job of maintaining an atmosphere conducive to free thinking while still providing an education to student who want one.

Is political correctness getting in the way of 1st amendment free speech?

This may be true to a very limited extent, but for good reason. Recall last month the OU students and their bawdy racist song? They were probably within their Constitutional First Amendment rights to sing that song. But no university could allow behavior like that to exist. It would quickly spiral out of hand, leading to prejudice and alienating a significant segment of students.

Is PC damaging the ability to have free expression of thought in the class room?

See above. The reining in of free expression on U.S. campuses is de minimis, and for the most part, necessary.

/JMHO

I think the bigger issue is simply with that generation of kids in general. I have read a number of articles where a student body here and there try to get "Trigger Warning" labels on books, or attempts to ban anything someone might find "upsetting" even to the point of trying to censor comedians. None of these have been instituted by the universities, but by the students. Who belong to a ridiculously sheltered and oversensitive generation as it is. It would not be the first time you hear even football coaches talk about kids never get told "No" by anyone. Its a mentality that needs to get fixed, or these kids will get destroyed when they enter the real world.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I received this eml link recently and thought I'd share for discussion. Questions that it brings up:

Is political correctness getting in the way of quality education?

Getting back to your original post, I'd have to say 'no' to this. Running a university is a balancing act that has to be struck somewhere between maintaining complete order in all things and letting the inmates run the asylum. American universities do a pretty fair job of maintaining an atmosphere conducive to free thinking while still providing an education to student who want one.

Is political correctness getting in the way of 1st amendment free speech?

This may be true to a very limited extent, but for good reason. Recall last month the OU students and their bawdy racist song? They were probably within their Constitutional First Amendment rights to sing that song. But no university could allow behavior like that to exist. It would quickly spiral out of hand, leading to prejudice and alienating a significant segment of students.

Is PC damaging the ability to have free expression of thought in the class room?

See above. The reining in of free expression on U.S. campuses is de minimis, and for the most part, necessary.

/JMHO

I think the bigger issue is simply with that generation of kids in general. I have read a number of articles where a student body here and there try to get "Trigger Warning" labels on books, or attempts to ban anything someone might find "upsetting" even to the point of trying to censor comedians. None of these have been instituted by the universities, but by the students. Who belong to a ridiculously sheltered and oversensitive generation as it is. It would not be the first time you hear even football coaches talk about kids never get told "No" by anyone. Its a mentality that needs to get fixed, or these kids will get destroyed when they enter the real world.

Interesting - I've not considered that angle before.

If You Are Not a Liberal at 25, You Have No Heart. If You Are Not a Conservative at 35 You Have No Brain And if you are not a moderate by 45 you have no common sense.

+1 to both of you. That's a good saying.

I'll take your +1 & I'll double that with 2 :thumbs :thumbs