Bleacher Report: Five things standing in the way of a Nebraska Conference Title

So many are quick to bag on anyone that does well these day it seems- no matter the field

They always seem to get shortchanged, not given their deserved credit, Multiple National titles and turning around 4 programs, winning a National title with his 3rd team QB- the guys deserves the credit

Im no fan of OSU, their fans are bloodthirsty

But they are in a position now to become a bully in College football, Urban Meyer may or may not be a good guy, have no clue. Hasn't cheated, isn't beating his wife or kids, goes to church on Sundays, doesn't throw his cap at refs :hmmph OSU is in a sustainable situation given their resources, facilities, fan support, coaching staff, recruiting prowess and geographic location- Bama of the North.

Can Dantonio win a National Title at MSU? Outstanding coach, they don't bring in the top level talent though. Would need to put together one of those once in a century seasons- all the breaks going their way. Could happen, but unlikely

Michigan? IDK

Penn State? Maybe- coach hasn't won anything yet though. Closer situation to OSU than any of the others.

Wisconsin? New coach, similar situation to MSU

Nebraska? Way away right now

Minnesota? Nope

OSU is in the best possible position to carry the Big 10 torch for now. That means whenever they play with exception of when they play NU- that's who I'm rooting for

I remember someone saying once that great coaches win when they're supposed to. Its not a real clever saying, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. A lot of good coaches win a lot of games, but still lose the one they're supposed to win. Get a coach that wins the ones he's supposed to win, and couple that with winning the one's he's not: who knows where the ceiling is.

Take Phil Jackson for example, so many people like to bring up the fact that he coached Jordan and Koby, end of the day, guy won the games he was supposed to win and walked with fingers of rings; many other coaches were in similar situations and couldn't win when they were supposed to: the measure of a great coach, IMO.

Right now, there are less than a hand full of these guys in college football; luckily, one of them coaches the team I root for.

BOJ, what's the relevance of your post you ask, not sure; just felt like saying it.

So many are quick to bag on anyone that does well these day it seems- no matter the field

They always seem to get shortchanged, not given their deserved credit, Multiple National titles and turning around 4 programs, winning a National title with his 3rd team QB- the guys deserves the credit

Im no fan of OSU, their fans are bloodthirsty

But they are in a position now to become a bully in College football, Urban Meyer may or may not be a good guy, have no clue. Hasn't cheated, isn't beating his wife or kids, goes to church on Sundays, doesn't throw his cap at refs :hmmph OSU is in a sustainable situation given their resources, facilities, fan support, coaching staff, recruiting prowess and geographic location- Bama of the North.

Can Dantonio win a National Title at MSU? Outstanding coach, they don't bring in the top level talent though. Would need to put together one of those once in a century seasons- all the breaks going their way. Could happen, but unlikely

Michigan? IDK

Penn State? Maybe- coach hasn't won anything yet though. Closer situation to OSU than any of the others.

Wisconsin? New coach, similar situation to MSU

Nebraska? Way away right now

Minnesota? Nope

OSU is in the best possible position to carry the Big 10 torch for now. That means whenever they play with exception of when they play NU- that's who I'm rooting for

I'll give Urban Meyer all the credit in the world for being a good coach. All I said is that I don't like his personality. It just seems put on to me, like he is trying too hard to impress people. Maybe that is why the stress gets to him. Maybe it is because he is trying so hard to show this persona of being this great guy/coach/father etc. It just doesn't work for me. Sorry.

As I said before I have no problem with Nick Sabin or his personality. I bet he is kind of an a-hole to be truthful. But with that being said, he is not trying to look like he is not an a-hole. I like Dantonio a lot. I like the way he operates and does press conferences. I like how he tells the press what he thinks about things. He doesn't pull any punches and looks like a jackass sometimes. But that is a real response to things. Urban Meyer seems to be working very hard to not look like he is a jerk.

A Reliable Place-Kicker

This is #3? WTF?? We've had a pretty good run of kickers the past few years. Sure, last year there was a bit of a dropoff. But Brown has has plenty of leg, and as fine a kicking lineage as you could ask for.

I just don't think our kickers/punters are a deficit of our team. Bleacher Report. /shakes head

Now I'm not saying Drew Brown is bad kicker, and Foltz is obviously a stud, but never underestimate the value of Alex Henery. A great kicker/punter has a larger effect on the outcome of games than many people ever want to acknowledge. Especially guys like Henery who could boot the long field goal and was a master of punting the ball inside the opponents ten yard line. Field position is HUGE in this game. It's even BIGGER when you are a defensive-minded team with a limited offense.

Bo Pelini owes some of his success directly to Alex Henery.

Bo doesn't win 9 games his first year without Henerey
I always laugh when someone claims...XYZ team or coach wouldn't have won the game or games without so and so player or players.

Ummm....isn't that part of the team and isn't this a team sport and isn't it a sport where players make plays on the field?

Of course he wouldn't have won 9 games without Henerey. You could say the same thing about other players too. And...yes...Henerey played a major part in that season.

Geezus man, it wasn't intended as an attack on Bo Pelini or his record. It was a credit to Alex Henery and how much of a difference maker he was. The guy was brilliant.

Trow dat! :lol: