Bleacher Report: Five things standing in the way of a Nebraska Conference Title

A Reliable Place-Kicker

This is #3? WTF?? We've had a pretty good run of kickers the past few years. Sure, last year there was a bit of a dropoff. But Brown has has plenty of leg, and as fine a kicking lineage as you could ask for.

I just don't think our kickers/punters are a deficit of our team. Bleacher Report. /shakes head

Now I'm not saying Drew Brown is bad kicker, and Foltz is obviously a stud, but never underestimate the value of Alex Henery. A great kicker/punter has a larger effect on the outcome of games than many people ever want to acknowledge. Especially guys like Henery who could boot the long field goal and was a master of punting the ball inside the opponents ten yard line. Field position is HUGE in this game. It's even BIGGER when you are a defensive-minded team with a limited offense.

Bo Pelini owes some of his success directly to Alex Henery.

Bo doesn't win 9 games his first year without Henerey

• Fire 1

A Reliable Place-Kicker

This is #3? WTF?? We've had a pretty good run of kickers the past few years. Sure, last year there was a bit of a dropoff. But Brown has has plenty of leg, and as fine a kicking lineage as you could ask for.

I just don't think our kickers/punters are a deficit of our team. Bleacher Report. /shakes head

Now I'm not saying Drew Brown is bad kicker, and Foltz is obviously a stud, but never underestimate the value of Alex Henery. A great kicker/punter has a larger effect on the outcome of games than many people ever want to acknowledge. Especially guys like Henery who could boot the long field goal and was a master of punting the ball inside the opponents ten yard line. Field position is HUGE in this game. It's even BIGGER when you are a defensive-minded team with a limited offense.

He also doesnt own a conference title bc Adi kicks the D@** ball out of bounds

• Fire 1

A Reliable Place-Kicker

I always laugh when someone claims...XYZ team or coach wouldn't have won the game or games without so and so player or players.

Ummm....isn't that part of the team and isn't this a team sport and isn't it a sport where players make plays on the field?

Of course he wouldn't have won 9 games without Henerey. You could say the same thing about other players too. And...yes...Henerey played a major part in that season.

• Fire 2

So is Nebraska also not in the same universe as Virginia Tech, Penn State and Minnesota or is the universe just not as big as you'd like to make it seem?

OSU early had some injuries and was trying to figure out who they would be without Braxton Miller, they figured it out. Look at the championship game and playoffs when they hit their stride. And they are getting better and deeper.

OSU has lost just 3 games in the last 3 years

With Meyer at the helm- one of the top 3 coaches in the country AND him being one of the top 3-4 recruiters in the country in talent rich Ohio- OSU can be like the Nebraska 93-97 dynasty when we blew out pretty much everyone that was less talented than us.

Meyer has a very effective recruiting machine set up and plans on doing a bunch of very well attended satellite camps, they are great at it

NU right now is in the same ballpark as Minnesota, Penn State and Iowa, a step behind Wisconsin. The goal for now is to consistently beat those we have better talent than, which wasn't done under Pelini and find a way to steal a win or two away from some that we are within striking distance of like a Wisconsin. Things, NU hasn't been able to do of late, in fact it took some very lucky ball bounces to make some of those wins happen. To think we will be able to compete. let alone beat OSU in at least the next few years is a longshot at best.

I like Riley and hope he can help us get more competitive- but a guy like Meyer has won every place even teams with no players and no facilities, Bowling Green, Utah, then turned around a floundering Florida and went what 37-3 at a scandal riden Ohio State. Meyer is the proven commodity he's on his home turf a skip and a hop from Ashtabulah and he knows SEC country like the back of his hand.

Floundering Florida? Florida was a heck of a lot less floundering when Meyer took over than the mess he left. Zook can't coach, but he can recruit. Florida was pretty stacked when Meyer took over. Ohio State is very similar where the cupboard was already loaded before Meyer even got there. Meyer is a very opportunistic coach. He goes where he sees instant success. He passed on his dream job at Notre Dame to go to Florida for one simple reason: Florida had the players and Notre Dame didn't. The SEC was primed for the taking when Meyer went to Florida. There really wasn't a team in the conference that was great. The five seasons prior to Meyer going to Florida there was rarely ever more than one SEC team in the top 10 by year end. It sounds kind of familiar with the Big 10 before Meyer doesn't it?

Meyer's last year at Florida was 2010. It was the first time since 1989 that Florida finished the season unranked. Zook handed Meyer three top 20 ranked recruiting classes with two of those finishing in the top 10. Again, Florida was less floundering before Meyer than after.

A Reliable Place-Kicker

He also doesnt own a conference title bc Adi kicks the D@** ball out of bounds

Don't forget the boneheaded personal foul that tacked on an extra 15 yards. It took both mistakes to make the one second count.

A Reliable Place-Kicker

I always laugh when someone claims...XYZ team or coach wouldn't have won the game or games without so and so player or players.

Ummm....isn't that part of the team and isn't this a team sport and isn't it a sport where players make plays on the field?

Of course he wouldn't have won 9 games without Henerey. You could say the same thing about other players too. And...yes...Henerey played a major part in that season.

I am referring to the 57 yard kick to beat Colorado in the last game of the regular season. I was sure we had lost that game. I was very pissed about the fake FG that went for a TD. It was a forecast of the next six years.

So is Nebraska also not in the same universe as Virginia Tech, Penn State and Minnesota or is the universe just not as big as you'd like to make it seem?

OSU early had some injuries and was trying to figure out who they would be without Braxton Miller, they figured it out. Look at the championship game and playoffs when they hit their stride. And they are getting better and deeper.

With Meyer at the helm- one of the top 3 coaches in the country AND him being one of the top 3-4 recruiters in the country in talent rich Ohio- OSU can be like the Nebraska 93-97 dynasty when we blew out pretty much everyone that was less talented than us.

Meyer has a very effective recruiting machine set up and plans on doing a bunch of very well attended satellite camps, they are great at it

NU right now is in the same ballpark as Minnesota, Penn State and Iowa, a step behind Wisconsin. The goal for now is to consistently beat those we have better talent than, which wasn't done under Pelini and find a way to steal a win or two away from some that we are within striking distance of like a Wisconsin. Things, NU hasn't been able to do of late, in fact it took some very lucky ball bounces to make some of those wins happen. To think we will be able to compete. let alone beat OSU in at least the next few years is a longshot at best.

I like Riley and hope he can help us get more competitive- but a guy like Meyer has won every place even teams with no players and no facilities, Bowling Green, Utah, then turned around a floundering Florida and went what 37-3 at a scandal riden Ohio State. Meyer is the proven commodity he's on his home turf a skip and a hop from Ashtabulah and he knows SEC country like the back of his hand.

Floundering Florida? Florida was a heck of a lot less floundering when Meyer took over than the mess he left. Zook can't coach, but he can recruit. Florida was pretty stacked when Meyer took over. Ohio State is very similar where the cupboard was already loaded before Meyer even got there. Meyer is a very opportunistic coach. He goes where he sees instant success. He passed on his dream job at Notre Dame to go to Florida for one simple reason: Florida had the players and Notre Dame didn't. The SEC was primed for the taking when Meyer went to Florida. There really wasn't a team in the conference that was great. The five seasons prior to Meyer going to Florida there was rarely ever more than one SEC team in the top 10 by year end. It sounds kind of familiar with the Big 10 before Meyer doesn't it?

Meyer's last year at Florida was 2010. It was the first time since 1989 that Florida finished the season unranked. Zook handed Meyer three top 20 ranked recruiting classes with two of those finishing in the top 10. Again, Florida was less floundering before Meyer than after.

Yes Florida was floundering under Zook- he was 37-23 there after taking over from Spurrier Zook was 7-4 his last year. Meyer went 9-3 year one 13-1 in year 2.

Meyer went 65-15 at Florida- won at better rate MUCH better than both Zook and Spurrier

Meyer not as good a recruiter as Zook? Left the cupboard bare?

Meyers last 3 classes have been ranked 9th, 2nd and 4th - very good recruiter, one of the very best. His classes were better than the sweater, out recruited him.

Florida recruiting classes under Meyer: 15, 2, 1, 3, 11 and 2

Zook- 20, 2, 10

Meyer average recruiting class ranked 6th, Zooks was 11th

As to his coaching acumen:

Took 2-9 Bowling Green to 8-3 in year 1

Took 5-6 Utah to 21-2 his 2 years there

Took OSU from 6-7 to 12-0 in year 1

Won National Titles at Florida and OSU

He's consistently won at every stop, like him or not. I don't care either way, but he's in the top 3 right now nationwide.

A Reliable Place-Kicker

Geezus man, it wasn't intended as an attack on Bo Pelini or his record. It was a credit to Alex Henery and how much of a difference maker he was. The guy was brilliant.

• Fire 1

Yes Florida was floundering under Zook- he was 37-23 there after taking over from Spurrier Zook was 7-4 his last year. Meyer went 9-3 year one 13-1 in year 2.

Meyer went 65-15 at Florida- won at better rate MUCH better than both Zook and Spurrier

Meyer not as good a recruiter as Zook? Left the cupboard bare?

Meyers last 3 classes have been ranked 9th, 2nd and 4th - very good recruiter, one of the very best. His classes were better than the sweater, out recruited him.

Florida recruiting classes under Meyer: 15, 2, 1, 3, 11 and 2

Zook- 20, 2, 10

Meyer average recruiting class ranked 6th, Zooks was 11th

As to his coaching acumen:

Took 2-9 Bowling Green to 8-3 in year 1

Took 5-6 Utah to 21-2 his 2 years there

Won National Titles at Florida and OSU

He's consistently won at every stop, like him or not. I don't care either way, but he's in the top 3 right now nationwide.

I am going to go with Junior to an extent. Floundering would not be the term I would use to describe Florida under Zook, Underperforming would be a better term IMO. Zook was a decent recruiter and he left Meyer plenty to work with at Florida.

Urban Meyer is a very good coach, their is no debating that, but he is also a very opportunistic coach. The wheels were coming off at Florida when UM left, he left Florida in worse shape than what Zook left for him. Whether it really was nerves/panic attacks or he just couldn't take the pressure his last team at FLA was nothing special.

Again I am not going to debate that he is not a good coach, because he is a great coach. It still doesn't mean that I like him. He left Florida and is going to take time off, but miraculously less than 1 year later he is back at a school that has a great situation for him to win right away.

I just don't like the way he carries himself. He doesn't feel sincere to me. He just has a used car salesman feel about him. To me he seems like he would sell his own mother to win a football game. I don't think he breaks rules, but he probably comes very close to the line on some. I used to work with a guy like this. He was a decent enough guy, but was always looking for an angle to make himself look better. He was always trying to ingratiate himself to the higher ups. The only reason he ever did anything beyond what was asked was if it made him look good. I know it is probably just me, but that is the way I feel about him.

Questioning a coaches motives can be a bit dangerous, look how many judge TO on LP

If someone wants to leave a job for a different job, it doesn't matter to me- happens all the time

Some guys leave out of sheer boredom, health problems, want a change of scenery, need a break, who cares

People are allowed to move on

Leaving FLorida in shambles?

He built them into a consistent contender and National Title Winner

Meyer last 3 recruiting classes were ranked: #2, #11 and #3, a composite 16. There was no lack of talent when he left
Zooks recruiting classes were a composite 32

I don't know him, never met him. Im no fan of Saban, Switzer or especially Bryant, but at the end of the day, they were all great coaches

And Meyer has never been implicated in any cheating like the above guys.

The guy is an incredible coach, unreal recruiter and big game coach. Last year winning it with his 3rd team QB was classic

Questioning a coaches motives can be a bit dangerous, look how many judge TO on LP

If someone wants to leave a job for a different job, it doesn't matter to me- happens all the time

Some guys leave out of sheer boredom, health problems, want a change of scenery, need a break, who cares

Meyer last 3 recruiting classes were ranked: #2, #11 and #3, a composite 16. There was no lack of talent when he left

I don't know him, never met him. Im no fan of Saban, Switzer or especially Bryant, but at the end of the day, they were all great coache

The guy is an incredible coach, unreal recruiter and big game coach. Last year winning it with his 3rd team QB was classic

Read my post, I said he was a great coach I just don't like the way he feels to me. Sabin I dont have a problem with he seems like a straight shooter, a little rough around the edges. I guess I dont like guys that are that smooth, maybe it is because I am not that smooth.

I don't know him, never met him. Im no fan of Saban, Switzer or especially Bryant, but at the end of the day, they were all great coache

Read my post, I said he was a great coach I just don't like the way he feels to me. Sabin I dont have a problem with he seems like a straight shooter, a little rough around the edges. I guess I dont like guys that are that smooth, maybe it is because I am not that smooth.

I did read it and disagreed with what you said here "The wheels were coming off at Florida when UM left, he left Florida in worse shape than what Zook left for him"

Meyer had 3 very high rated recruiting classes- ranked 2, 11 and 3 the last 3 years he was there- which was much higher ranked than Zooks 3 classes that he left Meyer. 6-7 years is a reasonable tenure in professional employment these days. I don't think anyone has to stay anywhere for life.

2 years later- Muschamp goes 11-2 with Florida, just 18 points away from an undefeated season.

A better coach than Muschamp might have been able to run the tables, not sure WM is a very good Head Coach

Florida is a great job

Meyer is going to be very difficult to beat- at OSU

They will be the Bama of the North, really tough out

The Big 10 is lucky to have him IMO

How many guys turn around 4 programs in 4 different leagues back to back?

I did read it and disagreed with what you said here "The wheels were coming off at Florida when UM left, he left Florida in worse shape than what Zook left for him"

He had 3 very high rated recruiting classes- ranked 2, 11 and 3- which was much higher ranked than Zooks 3 classes that he left Meyer

2 years later- Muschamp goes 11-2 with Florida, just 18 points away from an undefeated season.

A better coach than Muschamp might have been able to run the tables, not sure WM is a very good Head Coach

Meyer is going to be very difficult to beat- at OSU

They will be the Bama of the North

Till he has "health issues" again.

The wheels were definitely coming off at Florida when Urbs "retired". His team and himself were starting to get looked at by the NCAA and Law enforcement for issues that were going on around Gainesville. Urban is a very good coach and he has done great at tOSU but I don't think he will be there in 3-5yrs, especially if things start falling apart.

• Fire 1