What is the thing that has you most excited/nervous about this upcoming season?

Nervous about breaking in the new offense: learning curve could spell 1-2 more losses, i.e., 8-4 type thing.

But overall, excited to see what Riley and the gang bring to the table in terms of there experience. Hope to see a more disciplined, organized team. I think the defense could be better with Banker's more simplified system.

Nervous about breaking in the new offense: learning curve could spell 1-2 more losses, i.e., 8-4 type thing.

But overall, excited to see what Riley and the gang bring to the table in terms of there experience. Hope to see a more disciplined, organized team. I think the defense could be better with Banker's more simplified system.

I guess I must be in the minority, but I don't think you are going to see some radically different offense. If you were going to see something completely different you would have seen more of it at the spring game. Your still going to see zone running and zone read from the QB just not as much. The jet sweep will be used more, but it was always in the playbook. Now you will see it 3-4 times a game vs. 1 time every third game. You will see a larger use of the screen game, which was always present, but IMO very underutilized. The passing game may be different in the way things are run, but it wont look a whole lot different to us. I think the offense will look fine as long as the O-line settles in and gets things moving.

I do think the defense will play more aggressive, they will commit more to stopping the run and putting pressure on the QB instead of sitting in coverage like BP liked to do.

After viewing the threads on HB for a while, I finally decided to take the leap and make my first post.

I am always curious as to why people think we will be a more "disciplined" team under Riley than compared to Bo.

In 2014, Oregon St averaged 8.5 penalties per game. That is tied for 121st in the nation (out of 128...yikes). That does not sound very disciplined to me.

Compare that to Nebraska in 2014, who averaged 5.9 penalties per game. That is tied for 61st in the nation.

Not a Bo lover or a Riley hater, I would just like to hear why everyone thinks we will be so much more "disciplined" now. I understand discipline can mean different things, but penalties are certainly a big part of it.

• Fire 3

After viewing the threads on HB for a while, I finally decided to take the leap and make my first post.

I am always curious as to why people think we will be a more "disciplined" team under Riley than compared to Bo.

In 2014, Oregon St averaged 8.5 penalties per game. That is tied for 121st in the nation (out of 128...yikes). That does not sound very disciplined to me.

Compare that to Nebraska in 2014, who averaged 5.9 penalties per game. That is tied for 61st in the nation.

Not a Bo lover or a Riley hater, I would just like to hear why everyone thinks we will be so much more "disciplined" now. I understand discipline can mean different things, but penalties are certainly a big part of it.

What I meant by discipline is how in years past, our players played out of position, over pursued, bit on the play fake and just plain didn't tackle well. Hence, played undisciplined football.

I guess I must be in the minority, but I don't think you are going to see some radically different offense. If you were going to see something completely different you would have seen more of it at the spring game. Your still going to see zone running and zone read from the QB just not as much. The jet sweep will be used more, but it was always in the playbook. Now you will see it 3-4 times a game vs. 1 time every third game. You will see a larger use of the screen game, which was always present, but IMO very underutilized. The passing game may be different in the way things are run, but it wont look a whole lot different to us. I think the offense will look fine as long as the O-line settles in and gets things moving.

Yeah but.... New coaches always bring something different in terms of blocking technique, route running and the like. I don't preternd to understand the 'big' differences--I mean, it's just football, right(?)--but the different nuances always seem to be an issue. Hence, learning curve.

I agree about Riley adapting to what's available on offense, namely TA as a dual QB, but I also think we'll see more pro, heavy sets, with 2 TEs, FBack, and more passing to the TEs. Riley supposedly likes TEs, so it has been said--which is fine by me.

I'm 'hoping' re: the discipline. I mean, can't be much worse....can it? :( Seriously, if we don't see real improvement in that area, well, why'd we hire the guy and his Clan o' Beavers?

It depends on the type of penalties. False starts/motion late hits are undisciplined penalties. Most the rest are not. Under BP NU often looked out of step or out of sync because they were thinking too much. He had good schemes, but everyone had too much going on in there heads to play fast all the time.

I thought the upper units showed a lot of discipline in the spring game. We will see if it continues.

I want to see the team keep fighting even when things go bad at some point in the game. BP's teams would lose focus because of his tendency to yell and be undisciplined so they would lose it at those points.

What I meant by discipline is how in years past, our players played out of position, over pursued, bit on the play fake and just plain didn't tackle well. Hence, played undisciplined football.

Despite comedic value, I think we can all agree in not wanting to see this type of thing again:

nebraska-lineman-falls-over.gif

Yeah but.... New coaches always bring something different in terms of blocking technique, route running and the like. I don't preternd to understand the 'big' differences--I mean, it's just football, right(?)--but the different nuances always seem to be an issue. Hence, learning curve.

I agree about Riley adapting to what's available on offense, namely TA as a dual QB, but I also think we'll see more pro, heavy sets, with 2 TEs, FBack, and more passing to the TEs. Riley supposedly likes TEs, so it has been said--which is fine by me.

That is what I meant, they may be doing things technique wise, may be using new terminology, but it wont look that much different to us. We most likely won't see as much spread principles. That is 4 wides, but NU ran a lot out of Miami formation under Beck. Miami is 3 wides with a TE. Which will be what we will still see a lot of from MR.

It depends on the type of penalties. False starts/motion late hits are undisciplined penalties. Most the rest are not. Under BP NU often looked out of step or out of sync because they were thinking too much. He had good schemes, but everyone had too much going on in there heads to play fast all the time.

I thought the upper units showed a lot of discipline in the spring game. We will see if it continues.

I want to see the team keep fighting even when things go bad at some point in the game. BP's teams would lose focus because of his tendency to yell and be undisciplined so they would lose it at those points.

This was OSU's home opener last year...against Portland St.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2014/08/oregon_state-portland_state_fi.html

For those who don't want to go to the website, the first quarter for OSU looked something like this in terms of penalties.

1. False Start

2. Holding

3. Offsides

4. Personal Foul

5. False Start

6. False Start

7. Roughing the Passer

8. Personal Foul

9. Holding

Let's hope our opener against a very respectable BYU team (not Portland State) isn't anything like that.

• Fire 2