matt herian

Callahan says Herian progressing but may go easy during spring drills

(Posted 03/07/2006. Written by )

Nebraska coach Bill Callahan says Matt Herian has made strides during the Cornhuskers' winter conditioning drills.

But the coach says the senior tight end is still being handled with extra care.

Callahan says he is unsure whether Herian will participate in full-contact drills when the Huskers start spring practice in a couple of weeks.

Callahan says Herian has shown good speed while running in a straight line. The coach says Herian is now working on improving his ability to cut.

Herian missed all of last season recovering from a broken leg that he suffered in 2004 against Missouri.

In his career at Nebraska, Herian has caught 53 passes for one thousand-93 yards and ten touchdowns.

I just can't believe he is still hurting from this.  I saw him limping before christmas break.  I feel so bad for him, he is probably going crazy.

There's different degrees of breaking your leg, and his was about as bad as you can get.

Ya i know, i totally agree. My dad was in a motorcycle accident when he was 18 and he was in a full leg cast for 10 months. It then took him awhile to get back to normal. I am not saying it wasn't bad, just that I didn't know it was THAT bad. I am glad he is taking his time, because i would rather have him at 100% then playing hurt. That could end up ruining the rest of his career.

I have dealt with many broken bones over my years with Team Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki. Some athletes handle them well some never get over the slightest break.

But compound fractures are a different deal. It is more of a mental healing than just the physical side. I have heard that Matt was not handling that side to well last year, but may be turning the corner now. It is tough and I would say the larger percentage of athletes that suffer compound fractures never return. Not due to physical limitations but mental.

Here is hoping he is not rushing nor are the coaches. He has to be 100% certain this is what he wants. Good Luck Matt, we need you, but most of us will understand if it is not to be.

I have dealt with many broken bones over my years with Team Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki. Some athletes handle them well some never get over the slightest break.

But compound fractures are a different deal. It is more of a mental healing than just the physical side. I have heard that Matt was not handling that side to well last year, but may be turning the corner now. It is tough and I would say the larger percentage of athletes that suffer compound fractures never return. Not due to physical limitations but mental.

Here is hoping he is not rushing nor are the coaches. He has to be 100% certain this is what he wants. Good Luck Matt, we need you, but most of us will understand if it is not to be.

nicely put.

There is no shame in Herian not being able to give it a go. However, if he is physically and mentally able, he should know he has a huge chance at making this team very fun to watch.

If he has to take the entire spring off to get to that point, don't let me stand in the way. ;)

The comment by BC that he is starting to develop trust in his cutting ability. Trusting the heal to do the job you want it to do is the biggest question. Having faith that it is healed and you are not going to instantly break it again and having to deal with the rehab again is one of the many hang ups. I have seen world class atheletes never compete again due to this type of fracture. In honesty it is way more a mental injury than a physical one for most athletes.

Either way we all owe Matt a thanks for all he has done for this program and hopefully he will return as strong and dedicated as we was before this injury.

TE Herian ready for a comeback in '06

Early on in the 2005 football season, the tight end position was clearly a weak link in the Nebraska Cornhuskers' offense. Penalties for illegal procedure, false starts, and holding were a common sight in the first few games, and more often than not the TE's were drawing those flags. As the season continued sophomore J.B. Phillips and freshman Clayton Sievers began to progress in the offense, and the penalties decreased. Despite that progress, the tight ends never became legitimate weapons in coach Bill Callahan's West Coast Offense. In 2006, the Cornhuskers look to change that.

The change begins with new tight ends coach Shawn Watson, brought over from Colorado following the coaching change in Boulder. The first player Watson enquired about upon being hired was senior tight end, Matt Herian.

Herian, an All Big 12 selection in 2003, is one of only three tight ends in Nebraska's history to notch over 1,000 yards receiving for a career. His speed and elite playmaking ability often times caused problems for opposing defenses during his first two seasons as a Cornhusker.

Unfortunately, Herian has not seen the playing field since suffering a devastating leg injury against Missouri in October of 2004. Despite the fact that he missed the final three games that year, Herian still finished the 2004 season as the Huskers second leading receiver, a testament to his vital role in the offense at that time.

It's been a long road to recovery for the Pierce, Nebraska native. Herian has undergone surgery on his injured leg twice. The most recent procedure, which occurred last spring, eliminated any possibility of playing time in 2005. But December brought a welcome sight to the Nebraska practice field.

As the team prepped for their Alamo Bowl appearance, Herian returned to practice. While he was limited to non-contact situations, it was clear that his teammates and coaches were happy to see him on the field again. All reports indicate he was running at full speed.

Now, with spring practice set to start in Lincoln on March 22, Husker fans are eager to see their native son return to the team full time. For the time being, however, Herian is expected to participate in a limited role during the spring, with the goal of returning to full contact in August. While he may never to be able to fully recover, and perform at the same level he did prior to his injury, Herian's ability to stretch the field vertically from the tight end slot should allow Nebraska's running game to develop more consistency in 2006.

The tight end position plays a pivotal role in the west coast offense, and when an elite player fills that role it inevitably causes mismatches for opposing defenses. Nebraska lacked a playmaker at tight end in 2005, and the offense suffered at times because of it. In his first two seasons, Matt Herian proved he was one of the elite tight ends in the Big 12. His return to the Nebraska offense promises to add a dangerous weapon to the Cornhusker arsenal as well as add to the discomfort of opposing defensive coordinators.