Camping Out: Cornerbacks

I'm sure there will be some rotation, just like anywhere else, but it will probably be minimal, as it should be. You want your best guys out there as much as possible. If a guy is tired or needs a break, Stewart will give em' a break. Typically though, an opposing offense will immediately go after the weak spot. If Davie doesn't get hurt last year against MSU, that's a possible touchdown off the board for them when they went directly after J. Rose on the next play. Most teams in the NCAA and NFL don't do a whole lot of rotation in the secondary, I don't see why Nebraska would feel the need to.

I mean, just in the interest of consistency. After Sanders departed in 2010 and we had some rel issues in the secondary, one criticism that was brought up (and fairly, IMO) was how little rotation we had. Sure, the top players were very good, but after graduation we had a whole lot of guys with very little experience, and it showed. Even the coaches couldn't have known who was the most reliable and would emerge out of the group.

But you're right, I mean, we don't want to send a guy in on a huge down just for him to get picked on. But hopefully there's a real effort to get "feet wet" time for our depth.

I mean, just in the interest of consistency. After Sanders departed in 2010 and we had some rel issues in the secondary, one criticism that was brought up (and fairly, IMO) was how little rotation we had. Sure, the top players were very good, but after graduation we had a whole lot of guys with very little experience, and it showed. Even the coaches couldn't have known who was the most reliable and would emerge out of the group.

But you're right, I mean, we don't want to send a guy in on a huge down just for him to get picked on. But hopefully there's a real effort to get "feet wet" time for our depth.

Absolutely. There's a time for that. When we are up good on some teams, I'd be really disappointed if we aren't developing depth and experience by getting the backup's into the games as often as possible.

I guess I'm not sure if that's what Stewart was talking about.

Right now, the way I see it, these coaches are looking at establishing who those top guys even are this point, and what their philosophy is on how they play those guys. No doubt, if we have a chance to get experience to some of the younger, less experienced guys, you get them the heck out there. That goes for every position on this team.

Yeah, that's what it's seemed like for some time.

I'm interested to see both Kalu and Mosley on the field. Kalu did some good things last year and sounds like he's out in front for the starting spot. Mosley was supposedly the best technician of the guys that come in last year but needed to get stronger.

Sounds like Rose is probably the fourth choice.

Yeah, that's what it's seemed like for some time.

I'm interested to see both Kalu and Mosley on the field. Kalu did some good things last year and sounds like he's out in front for the starting spot. Mosley was supposedly the best technician of the guys that come in last year but needed to get stronger.

Sounds like Rose is probably the fourth choice.

From what I've heard is that the only thing holding Rose back is Rose and thay he's probably a better cb than Davie.

At cornerback, Daniel Davie has put together some strong practices. Josh Kalu and Trai Mosley appear to be the Nos. 2 and 3 corners. I like both, even if they have strengths in different areas. Jonathan Rose is then behind that trio, but not by much. Can Chris Jones redshirt, or is he more valuable on special teams that he can work back into the rotation? Boaz Joseph has actually made a few plays recently in camp, and he has decent length, but it's hard to see where he fits in long-term. Eric Lee and Avery Anderson should redshirt unless Anderson emerges as the top punt returner. Anderson has terrific instincts as a runner in open space, so don't discount it. Westerkamp and Turner, the new punt returners in De'Mornay Pierson-El's absence, weren't great at it in 2012 and 2013.

OWH