Nebraska's Identity Crisis

DomiNUs

Georgia Tech has MUCH better access to recruits than Oregon State. Even playing second fiddle to the Dawgs, Georgia Tech has a pretty easy time of it in recuiting. The state of Georgia has twenty-eight 4* recruits this year, and over a hundred 3* recruits. LINK (if that link does work, search here on Georgia: LINK)

Just look at Georgia Tech's 215 class LINK, as compared to Oregon State's current class. LINK

Ga Tech's class: 6 of 9 recruits from Georgia (five 3* recruits and a 2*)

Oregon State: 3 of 9 recruits (two 3* recruits and a 2*)

Hats off to Paul Johnson. He's showing there's still a place for a power rushing offense in college football.

Just want to double check how patient Nebraska fans would be with this succession of season records for Johnson at G-Tech:

9-4

10-3

6-7

8-5

7-7

7-6

11-3

Four division titles, zero conference titles (2009 ACC title was revoked for NCAA violations)

G-Tech is always a team worth watching and never to be taken lightly.

But conventional wisdom says Nebraska fans would sh#t bricks over that record.

And Johnson did inherit a winning team and a supportive program, even if it did include a touch of sanctions.

I agree, with that record he wouldn't last long here. I also don't think he would of had that record here.

The "option" is what everybody always talks about as being Nebraska's identity, but I think that was just the most visible part. What made Nebraska special under Osborne (and Devaney) was their willingness and ability to innovate. The strength program, nutrition, facilities, option, power, counter, walk-on program, student support, etc.,.

If any two things made Nebraska great under Osborne, it was staff continuity and Osborne's playcalling. Staff continuity allowed the staff to learn from their mistakes and refine their approach to all kinds of things. As a playcaller, Osborne became a master at using a series of plays to keep a defense off-balance.

I'm encouraged by the sports science research going on down at NU now. That is in the same vein as some of the earlier innovations that made NU great. Those things and incorporating massive amounts of data can give NU an edge and help re-establish our identity as an innovative, leading-edge football program.

In 2008 I wanted Pelini. I would have supported whoever was hired though. Pelini was good in some ways, but ultimately turned out to mostly just keep NU idling. I don't think hiring Paul Johnson or somebody running the triple-option is the answer for NU. Not that it would be bad, but it's just not the answer.

In my opinion, a pro-style offense is ideal. It allows a team to take advantage of its strengths on offense, is durable, and recruitable. Alabama, Wisconsin, Stanford- teams that many NU fan seems to continually salivate over, including myself- run pro-style offenses. The key is run-pass balance, and you do that with good play design, good players and excellent playcalling.

Johnson might have inherited a winning team, but don't kid yourself - Ga Tech is similar to Oregon State in a lot of ways (as far as being the little brother to the big show in the state an hour away), and also has the added burden of being a very academically prestigious school, with very specific academic focuses.

Not at all easy to be successful there - Johnson has done a hell of a job in that role.

read something the other day that says GT isn't even allowed to recruit juco players because the credits don't transfer. I wouldn't like to imagine recent Nebraska teams without lavonte David or Randy Gregory