Barfknecht: Big Ten West race is a pick-’em

Red Five

What do we know for sure about this race? Not much, other than that neither Illinois nor Purdue is title material.

For the five contenders, here are five observations:

1. Don’t blink.

The way the schedule is set, we’ll likely know a lot in the next 19 days.

Saturday, Iowa is at Wisconsin and Minnesota is at Northwestern. On Oct. 10, Wisconsin is at Nebraska and Northwestern at Michigan. On Oct. 17, Nebraska is at Minnesota and Iowa is at Northwestern.

2. Wisconsin tailback Corey Clement’s absence — for at least a month, and maybe for the season, after sports hernia surgery — is gigantic.

3. Watch out for Iowa.

4. Northwestern’s confidence is soaring, and with good reason.

5. Nebraska and Minnesota lead the division in head-scratching performances.

First, note that injuries have seriously impacted both teams. Minnesota, my pick in the preseason to win the West, beat Ohio while missing seven starters. Nebraska, my choice for second, has been playing around four defensive injuries and the

absence of game-breaker De’Mornay Pierson-El.

Still, the Huskers have serious issues in the offensive line and with pass defense. When you struggle to control the ball with the run, and you give up big plays, that’s a bad combination. Minnesota’s spotty play in the offensive line and at quarterback look like the kind of problems that aren’t fixable in-season.

So who do I pick now? No idea. But I’d bet 5-3 is a good enough record to get to Indianapolis.

He expounds more on his 5 observations in the article.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/barfknecht-big-ten-west-race-is-a-pick--em/article_3ff3dc9a-9b8d-573f-8591-2ee9df4f3383.html

• Fire 2

That would be Michigan (#2 - 204 ypg), Ohio State (#7 - 253), Northwestern (#11 - 266), Penn State (#15 - 282), Wisconsin (#17 - 292), Iowa (#20 - 295), Illinois (#24 - 306) and Minnesota (#29 - 313).

Nebraska is currently averaging 520 yards per game on offense. So it's a good, old fashioned "something's got to give" set of games. Starting this weekend.