I Repeat - Riley/Langsdorf are NOT the right hire for Nebraska

ajt1970

If you go back to my prior posts, I have repeated that these two are not going to work in Nebraska, mainly for their inability to accept that to win at Nebraska, and bring NU back to national prominence, you MUST run the ball, and these two guys just do not have the mentality to 1) accept this, and 2) they simply don't have the knowledge and experience to put together a dominant running attack even if they wanted to! They are so used to throwing the ball all round that dominating the run game is too foreign to them that they would rather stick with what is comfortable to them...and lose....than to go out and learn a whole new way of playing the offensive side of the ball. Hence, you get games like this Illinois game where even when the conditions are not right for passing (as many games in the Midwest in october and November are and forever will be), they simply can't let go of their need and want to throw the ball. If they run the ball a couple times in a row, even if run successfully, they still have this neverending "itch" to want to pass the ball....an itch that constantly needs to be scratched.

This game was not just lost on the stupid playcalling at the END of the game, it was lost much earlier by the stupid playcalling in all 4 and a half quarters before the terrile 3rd and seven call. Don't let these coaches off the hook by boiling it down to one bad call at the end. This game was lost all the way thru the game....it should have never have even been close enough for coaches to blow it at the end! To keep chucking the ball downfield unsuccessfully, in bad weather conditions, is just asinine and there is no other way to explain it other than it is a couple coaches who just cannot be power running coaches, there is a ceiling and there's is incredibly low, for being running-the-ball technicians.

So to sum it up......it comes down to coaches' attitude (their lack of REALLY WANTING to run the ball forcefully and powerfully) and their Knowledge and experience (that clearly do not show a solid track record of knowing how to run the ball in a smashmouth kind of way).

Until NU gets a coach with an attitude/appreciation for running the ball AND experience/knowledge to HOW to run the ball (technicians), NU will forever be stuck in the doldrums of irrelevancy it has found iself in. I personally wanted Frost or Paul Johnson of Georgia Tech to be the hire last year. I have heard lately good things about Troy Calhoun and his running attack and option football and would give him a chance as well. But Riley/Langsdorf was a bad hire all the way around. He doesn't get it. He has been a mediocre coach who has lost many games and actually, has probably grown fairly immune to losing. Riley has lost so often is his career, he's ok with it. I want a coach with a fire in his belly, where losing hurts so much that he will have a will to win like no other and instill that attitude into his players....but not just fire.....also a knowledge and attitude to power and option run the ball Cornhusker style and get NU back to national title competency.

This posted by an Oregon State fan.....makes you realize just how happy we made most fans in Corvallis by hiring Riley.

"Riley has this nice guy persona that's a lie. OSU Beaver fan here. He's "thrown players under the bus" before. There's a alot more that you'll find out about. You'll learn to "love" Mark Banker's ability to scheme a defense, relish the imaginativness of Danny Langsdorf on offense, and appreciate the outstanding coaching that Bruce Read brings to special teams. Lincoln has now become Corvallis East. As a Beaver fan I was worried how we'd get rid of Riley with his 7+ years left on his contract. Then I received a text from a friend that Riley bolted for Nebraska. Thought it was a cruel joke, who would want Riley, especially a nationally known team and brand like Nebraska. And then I confirmed what I was told and broke out into my "happy dance". Thank You Scott Eichorn and Nebraska, thank you so much!"

***Langsdorf was asked if in retrospect he wishes he would have stuck more with the running game.

"I think we had almost 200 yards rushing - I think we did that," Langsdorf said. "But it's hard to go convert those three runs in a row. The third down runs are tough when you're third and medium, and we did not convert there. That was really a bad situation for us."

This right here proves he's not the right hire.

https://nebraska.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1810045

***Langsdorf was asked if in retrospect he wishes he would have stuck more with the running game.

"I think we had almost 200 yards rushing - I think we did that," Langsdorf said. "But it's hard to go convert those three runs in a row. The third down runs are tough when you're third and medium, and we did not convert there. That was really a bad situation for us."

Go back and watch all 5 games (impossible I know), but even tonight Langs refuses to run twice in a row. Tonight he did it no more than 4 times if I counted correctly. Last week was the same. He doesn't allow the OL to wear down the DL, doesn't establish the run to open the passing game (especially his long ball game) and we still do not have a definitive starting RB in game 5. Wilbon looked the man in game one, then Newby and now Oz. No idea why Jano didn't get the ball until like 5 minutes into the 4th.

This staff is average. My worse fears confirmed when I had to google who the hell Mike Riley was.....

Exactly, Langsdorf makes it sound complicated because it IS complicated to HIM (Riley, too). Show me anywhere in his track record of coaching ANY team where he had a dominating, overpowering smashmouth, PHYSICAL style of running the ball. He never had it, he never coached it, he never experienced it....so how can we expect him to know what to do for developing strong rushing attacks at Nebraska? To him, his reality that he has ever known, is to throw the ball all over the place and every now and then use the running game as a little "variety" to keep the defense honest.

Eichorst (and probably most athletic directors) are not fit to make coaching hires (if they actually want to win a lot of games) because they don't undersand the x's and o's, the legitmacy of coaching credentials and whether those credentials are a good fit for their team and environment. This is over athletic directors heads. Hence, we get hires like this one out of left field with Riley and his staff.

Riley has always een a sub-par coach at best, fired before in other coaching stints, a .500 record overall, a coach who understands losing, who has experienced a LOT of games losing the game, a coach who mostly only knows to throw the ball most of the time and not how to coach dominating physical brand of football that Nebraska used to be known for.......how does this qualify for coaching at a school as prestigious as Nebraska?

This posted by an Oregon State fan.....makes you realize just how happy we made most fans in Corvallis by hiring Riley.

"Riley has this nice guy persona that's a lie. OSU Beaver fan here. He's "thrown players under the bus" before. There's a alot more that you'll find out about. You'll learn to "love" Mark Banker's ability to scheme a defense, relish the imaginativness of Danny Langsdorf on offense, and appreciate the outstanding coaching that Bruce Read brings to special teams. Lincoln has now become Corvallis East. As a Beaver fan I was worried how we'd get rid of Riley with his 7+ years left on his contract. Then I received a text from a friend that Riley bolted for Nebraska. Thought it was a cruel joke, who would want Riley, especially a nationally known team and brand like Nebraska. And then I confirmed what I was told and broke out into my "happy dance". Thank You Scott Eichorn and Nebraska, thank you so much!"

Thanks for the info. I hope you guys have a great year. It may make it easier for us to justify the buyout of MR's contract.

Go back and watch all 5 games (impossible I know), but even tonight Langs refuses to run twice in a row. Tonight he did it no more than 4 times if I counted correctly. Last week was the same. He doesn't allow the OL to wear down the DL, doesn't establish the run to open the passing game (especially his long ball game) and we still do not have a definitive starting RB in game 5. Wilbon looked the man in game one, then Newby and now Oz. No idea why Jano didn't get the ball until like 5 minutes into the 4th.

This staff is average. My worse fears confirmed when I had to google who the hell Mike Riley was.....

And they ran Jano around the end. Stupid. That is not his strength. Let Jano hit them up the middle.