Is 5 games too early to judge the coaches?

Louisiana, I was referring to Sabans time at Bama.

How good was LSU in the years prior to his time there?

Not good. Tons of talent but also tons of internal issues, many of which were caused by Dinardo (He destroyed what was a loaded QB position). LSU had gone 4-8 and then 2-9 in Dinardo's last two years. Dinardo's coaching the last two years at LSU may be the worst college coaching I've ever seen.

My point wasn't that Riley is the next Saban or even comparable to Saban, they simply aren't near the same level coaching wise (very few are on/near Saban's level). Just that it took Saban's teams more than a year to hit their stride. It took him 4 years at LSU to hit his stride and took him 2 years at Alabama. Realistically it might take Riley over a year to hit his stride/peak.

I'm not happy about the results this season at all. I just think calling for his head after 5 games isn't the way to go either.

Riley is exactly 149-149 lifetime as a HC. He's exactly .500. I guess if he hits his stride, his norm of .500 would be an improvement over his current .400 winning percentage at Nebraska. Just not sure anyone would be excited about Riley hitting his stride. He needs to walk a lot faster than his normal stride if he wants to keep his job.

I agree that his stride needs to be much better at Nebraska, not even an issue on that. Nebraska isn't Oregon State and our expectations are much more. If his stride is leading us to 7-5, 8-4 seasons, that isn't acceptable. If his system gets in place and we improve to consistent 9-10 win seasons with a conference title every few years I would be happy.

I don't know what his stride will be at Nebraska. His first five games were not enough, not even close....at Nebraska you have to win those games. If the first five games are the best he has to offer, simply put he is not the right guy. If this is the bottom of the rebuilding process and we improve throughout the year and into next he may just end up being a good coach for the program.

Too early to tell.

Listen to his press conferences. Watch his bonehead screwups in games. It's obvious that Riley is in way over his head. Sorry if that offends some of you, but it's true. Go listen to his postgame press conference. Here's a link: http://www.omaha.com/huskers/chatelain-pin-this-loss-squarely-on-mike-riley-and-danny/article_899171ee-6a2e-11e5-8f5e-b770878cd57d.html (it's near the bottom of the page).

He sounds totally lost and confused.

There is just no rational reason to believe the lightbulb is suddenly going to come on for him.

For him to defend the amount of passing plays proves nothing is going to change. "It's not impossible to do better....I thought we were close on a few". Okay so we catch a couple more passes than we dropped, what that puts us from under 30% passing to about 35% passing? Just mind boggling that this is what he thinks. And to say, "well we didn't run more because we couldn't find consistency". That's your excuse? Was he even at the game? The run game was working, the pass game just wasn't. Passing too much would explain our struggled in the red zone, and why we were 4/17 on third down. This Illinois defense was not good at all and we made them look like they were the 2009 Husker defense.

Listen to his press conferences. Watch his bonehead screwups in games. It's obvious that Riley is in way over his head. Sorry if that offends some of you, but it's true. Go listen to his postgame press conference. Here's a link: http://www.omaha.com/huskers/chatelain-pin-this-loss-squarely-on-mike-riley-and-danny/article_899171ee-6a2e-11e5-8f5e-b770878cd57d.html (it's near the bottom of the page).

There is just no rational reason to believe the lightbulb is suddenly going to come on for him.

He sounds competent and concise, unlike the bugger eatin moron we listened to the last 7 years

He sounds competent and concise, unlike the bugger eatin moron we listened to the last 7 years

Concise maybe, but competent? He sounds senile.

How so? Link!

How so? Link!

I gave you the link. It's right up above in this post.

Asked about his reaction to the result of the 3rd and 7 play: "I guess my first reaction was . . . surprise, and then, . . . whatever"

Asked what made them think they could throw deep: After listing off several deep plays that failed but he thought they were close to working -- "I didn't think it was that impossible to do better than we did. . . .And I think the coverage lent itself to try some of that."

Reporter: "What was the coverage?"

Riley(confused):"What was that?"

Reporter: "What coverage were they in that made you think you could go deep?"

Riley: "A variety, they play some cover 3 , ya know, cover 3 zone and some quarters and some pressure". (How does that make you want to go deep all the time???)

Later after rambling about consistency as an excuse not to run the ball, he said :"we were trying to do better on 1st and 2nd down to get some 1st downs there cuz our 3rd down stuff was, was bad from the very beginning."

How so? Link!

Asked about his reaction to the result of the 3rd and 7 play: "I guess my first reaction was . . . surprise, and then, . . . whatever"

Asked what made them think they could throw deep: After listing off several deep plays that failed but he thought they were close to working -- "I didn't think it was that impossible to do better than we did. . . .And I think the coverage lent itself to try some of that."

Riley: "A variety, they play some cover 3 , ya know, cover 3 zone and some quarters and some pressure". (How does that make you want to go deep all the time???)

Later after rambling about consistency as an excuse not to run the ball, he said :"we were trying to do better on 1st and 2nd down to get some 1st downs there cuz our 3rd down stuff was, was bad from the very beginning."

I come here for good dark humor and deja vu. I think the press conferences he is giving to you guys is 100x worse than what he gave Oregon State. The dude is burnt out, defeated, he just needs to hang in the towel like he should've done post-2009.

I feel bad for him at times then I realize he's being paid millions of dollars and still sticking it to universities and tax payers.

How so? Link!

I come here for good dark humor and deja vu. I think the press conferences he is giving to you guys is 100x worse than what he gave Oregon State. The dude is burnt out, defeated, he just needs to hang in the towel like he should've done post-2009.

I feel bad for him at times then I realize he's being paid millions of dollars and still sticking it to universities and tax payers.

That's what I saw in the press conference too. I couldn't tell if it was the lighting or what, but he literally looked like death. C'mon man it's the 5th game of the season and your energy has already been zapped? Can't believe we are stuck with him as our coach, you guys there at Oregon St. really won getting Andersen

How so? Link!

That's what I saw in the press conference too. I couldn't tell if it was the lighting or what, but he literally looked like death. C'mon man it's the 5th game of the season and your energy has already been zapped? Can't believe we are stuck with him as our coach, you guys there at Oregon St. really won getting Andersen

Exactly, watch a post-game interview of Riley of the last 5 years leading up to this one. Granted, he's never been a "high energy" coach (one of his downfalls IMO), but it's even easier to tell when you go from mid-low energy to impending death.

I couldn't believe when I heard that Riley an already washed out coach for Oregon State goes to a relatively prestegious football program like Nebraska, OUT OF LEFT FIELD. Best of luck dealing with some of your overly-optimistic fans who clearly know everything about football. Been there done that and our vindication is only that much sweeter. I don't think you'll have as hard of time due to his coaching circumstances compared to in Corvallis and the upcoming on-field results.

I don't think 5 games is too early to judge the coaches, but I do think it's still too early to call for the Head coach to be fired. The five teams we have played thus far have a combined record of 16-8, and all have a winning record. I know they have not all been games against the toughest opponents, but what I am looking for the rest of this season is for the team to play consistent and clean football in all three phases. One week the offense looks solid but the D is terrible, then it's switched the next week. We need the offense, defense, and special teams to click on all cylinders.

I honestly think this Illinois loss can be turned into a positive in that it has ended the honeymoon period and will force the coaches to up their focus and attention to detail, as well as give them incentive to push the players harder. In the honeymoon phase, if the fans, coaches, and players all feel they still have time to work out the kinks, it will take more time for those kinks to be worked out. The coaches backs are against the wall now, and the players too, so we will see if they look improved next weekend. If Riley is as competitive as everyone says on the inside, then he's going to be pushing the assistant coaches and team pretty hard from here on out.