Lucky

NU's Lucky aims to emulate Ross' skills, production

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Marlon Lucky regards Cory Ross the way a kid might regard an influential older brother. Indeed, Lucky speaks in reverent tones about Nebraska’s former starting I-back.

But with Ross out of the Huskers’ I-back picture having exhausted his eligibility, Lucky has sharpened his focus on capturing the starting job and thereby putting to use all he learned from Ross.

“I admired a lot about Cory,” said Lucky, who is among four sophomores who will battle this spring to replace Ross. “He catches the ball. He’s smart. He taught us a lot. Man, he was like a coach’s little assistant. It’s going to be strange without him because you don’t have that guy in front of you who knows the whole offensive package.

“So you just have to step up and do what you can.”

Lucky will begin spring practice No. 1 on the depth chart, said Nebraska coach Bill Callahan. But write Lucky’s name in pencil because competition will be fierce when drills begin March 22. Classmates Cody Glenn, Leon Jackson and Thomas Lawson also will try to make strong impressions. Junior college transfer Kenny Wilson will arrive this summer.

hey’re all going to get a lot of repetitions, and whoever emerges, emerges,” Callahan said.

Said Lucky: “I want to win the job bad. That’s my top goal.”

Lucky’s crucial spring follows a rather trying winter. In January, he underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right elbow to repair damage originally incurred as a boy playing in a Pop Warner league. Following surgery, he missed the first two weeks of winter conditioning and said it was difficult catching up with teammates.

As of last week, Lucky’s upper-body workouts were significantly limited and he was unable to catch passes because of lingering soreness and stiffness in the elbow, he said. In fact, he couldn’t say for certain how much contact he would be able to withstand.

Nevertheless, Lucky’s competitive zeal seems to outweigh any hesitancy he might have regarding his injury.

“I’m going to go into spring playing my hardest like back in high school,” he said. “Just do my thing. Go all out, 100 percent.”

Bear in mind that Lucky’s challenging winter followed a fall in which he fell well short of many fans’ lofty expectations. Of course, it might’ve been impossible for Lucky to match expectations some people had for him upon his recruitment out of North Hollywood (Calif.) High School.

The 6-foot, 210-pound Lucky finished 2005 with 129 yards on 43 carries — statistics unbefitting of a player who was ranked as the nation’s No. 2 prep running back by Rivals.com and SuperPrep Magazine. Touted by recruiting gurus as a running and receiving threat, Lucky wound up with two receptions for 3 yards. He never scored a touchdown after producing 40 as a high school senior.

“Coach Callahan gave me a little taste (of playing time), and I’m ready now,” Lucky said. “I know what the Division I football thing is all about. You have to step up.”

More to the point, you have to pick up blitzers if you expect to play running back at Nebraska. Although Ross was reliable as a blocker — and often exceptional — Lucky struggled much of last season.

“Finding where the blitz was coming from — I started getting it down during the middle of the year,” Lucky said. “Cory was helping me the whole time.”

Lucky said defenses did a good job of disguising blitzes.

“They stand there like they’re not going to blitz, then they just hit those gaps,” he said. “You have to pick them up. You have to be smart about it.”

Lucky, of course, understands the importance of protecting Zac Taylor, the team’s clear-cut starter at quarterback. Nebraska surrendered 38 sacks last season after allowing only 16 in 2004.

“Zac, he’s like the whole offense,” Lucky said. “If he don’t click, we don’t click.”

Nebraska is determined to improve its running game, Callahan said. After finishing last season ranked 107th nationally (out of 117 Division I-A teams) in rushing offense, Callahan said the Huskers this spring will “emphasize all aspects of the power running game.”

Meanwhile, Ross’ overall consistency and efficiency as a runner, receiver and blocker might be difficult to replace, at least in the short term. The 5-6, 195-pound Ross last season led Nebraska in rushing with 882 yards and tied for second with 43 receptions (for 392 yards).

“An I-back has to be able to pick up the blitz and run the ball effectively,” Callahan said. “He has to produce the efficient run — the 4-yard run. We’re not looking for 80, we’re just looking for 4. Then, of course, we’re looking for a guy who can come out of the backfield and be a threat (as a receiver).”

After a rocky rookie season, Lucky better understands the demands of the position — thanks in large part to the player he hopes to replace.

if he really wants it, he'll step up. i didn't expect lucky to come in last season and just take over, but now that he's had a year to learn i believe he'll leave the spring number one. when wilson comes in the summer, however, that is when things could get interesting.

I hope he learned how to PASS BLOCK and follow his f'ing BLOCKER'S because that's the reason he never played last year.

if he really wants it, he'll step up. i didn't expect lucky to come in last season and just take over, but now that he's had a year to learn i believe he'll leave the spring number one. when wilson comes in the summer, however, that is when things could get interesting.

I hope he learned how to PASS BLOCK and follow his f'ing BLOCKER'S because that's the reason he never played last year.

Hmmm I didn't see too many running lanes last year for a RB to run though. We were just graced that we had a RB (Ross) who ran on pure instinct!

Hmmm I didn't see too many running lanes last year for a RB to run though. We were just graced that we had a RB (Ross) who ran on pure instinct!

Well a good RB put's his head down and falls forward when there's no hole - A GREAT RB turns nothing into something, so we shall see.

Well...I think Lucky has just as much ability if not more than any of the other RB at NU. But...I just dont see him being the starter. I think he was given too much hype. He came from a weak region of football in Cali. and it made him shine. He wont be able to do that in D-1. But, he might make a believer out of me, but I dont see it.

Glenn...came from East Texas...known for strong football. Played on a team that wasnt to the caliber of him, but he carried his team to the play offs 4 years in a row. He did his job at NU this year...with the box stacked and everyone knowing what was coming, he still got the yardage needed for a firstdown or touchdown.

I dont see anyone beating out Glenn for the spot of starter...he's biggest and strongest. With the lack of line that Nebraska has showed...he looks as if he'll do more with less.

Another thing to think about...would Lucky have done what Glenn did in short yardage?? Also...I believe Glenn would have caught the passes that Lucky dropped.

I believe both are going to get better trying to beat each other out.

Going to be a good year.

there is a lot of "Over hyping" going on but it was his first year, and getting reps with ross there is extremely hard to do, lets not pass judgements or form opinions until this season. Also glenn has the power for short yardage but does he have the speed to be a starter? one thing is certainly for sure though....that o-line needs to have a fire lit under their @$$ :bounce

Wake up o-line dedhoarse

Thats why I hate usuing 40 times to tell how fast a player is. Cody Glenn is fast, like we've read on here he's neck and neck with Lucky during sprints. Also...how often does a RB get a chance to run 40 yards wide open. Never. Maybe I just favor Glenn more, but with the speed he has...if he gets it worked up think of what he'll do to people.

Glenn is my bet for starter.