To those who want to run the ball more (me included), this is NOT the staff that knows HOW to do it

ajt1970

I honestly don't care what we do if it wins. If we throw it around like Baylor that's fine if we win like Baylor. Did that sentence just happen? What world do we live in?

Honestly, I do care how we win as well as that we win! for now, I would like to win anyway possible but it appears that winning is not 'in the cards' this season. I therefore believe we must focus on the future! Riley is here to rebuild Nebraska into a championship caliber program who can get us back in to the top ten of college football.

I believe Riley needs to focus on 2016 and 2017. Assuming he is going to be retained for another year or two, he needs to show progress NEXT YEAR. Winning a crappy bowl game is NOT as important as having a winning season next year! To do that, he better be getting his young players as much experience and practice and game reps as possible. We can't afford to play seniors and even juniors as 2nd stringers at this point in the season. next year starts Saturday in my view! Play the freshmen and sophs.

So you're saying don't play:

Tommy Armstrong

Josh Banderas

Cethan Carter

Maliek Collins

Sam Cotton

Ross Dzuris

Sam Foltz

Trey Foster

Ryker Fyfe

Nate Gerry

Lane Hovey

Kevin Maurice

Greg McMullen

Alonzo Moore

Terrell Newby

Brandon Reilly

Michael Rose-Ivey

Vincent Valentine

Jordan Westerkamp

All of whom are juniors and returning next season? Makes. Sense.

I did not say to not play juniors who are starting. Yes, play them But if they are not starters or starting level players, then they should sit. Senior certainly should sit. Yes. I am serious. This has been a problem for a decade. We are not playing our young guys to build experience. This year, we have not seen even hardly a snap from our number 2 or 3 QBs and the season is fast approaching the end. Next year we will return one QB (senior Tommy A with real game experience and his experience will be as a transistion QB into whatever the final new offense we have or will ultimately morph into). With no experience returning, we will have to wait two more seasons while we train our next starting QB. That is just not acceptable.

Frank Soich got us into this rut as during his last several seasons, we became so desperate in trying to win each game, week by week, all season long, that we never got meaning ful playing time to the back ups. Eventually, we found ourselves in the weak posiiton of starting each new season with far too many unknown players in key positions (they are all key really).

I honestly don't care what we do if it wins. If we throw it around like Baylor that's fine if we win like Baylor. Did that sentence just happen? What world do we live in?

Honestly, I do care how we win as well as that we win! for now, I would like to win anyway possible but it appears that winning is not 'in the cards' this season. I therefore believe we must focus on the future! Riley is here to rebuild Nebraska into a championship caliber program who can get us back in to the top ten of college football.

I believe Riley needs to focus on 2016 and 2017. Assuming he is going to be retained for another year or two, he needs to show progress NEXT YEAR. Winning a crappy bowl game is NOT as important as having a winning season next year! To do that, he better be getting his young players as much experience and practice and game reps as possible. We can't afford to play seniors and even juniors as 2nd stringers at this point in the season. next year starts Saturday in my view! Play the freshmen and sophs.

Tommy Armstrong

Josh Banderas

Cethan Carter

Maliek Collins

Sam Cotton

Ross Dzuris

Sam Foltz

Trey Foster

Ryker Fyfe

Nate Gerry

Lane Hovey

Kevin Maurice

Greg McMullen

Alonzo Moore

Terrell Newby

Brandon Reilly

Michael Rose-Ivey

Vincent Valentine

Jordan Westerkamp

I did not say to not play juniors who are starting. Yes, play them But if they are not starters or starting level players, then they should sit. Senior certainly should sit. Yes. I am serious. This has been a problem for a decade. We are not playing our young guys to build experience. This year, we have not seen even hardly a snap from our number 2 or 3 QBs and the season is fast approaching the end. Next year we will return one QB (senior Tommy A with real game experience and his experience will be as a transistion QB into whatever the final new offense we have or will ultimately morph into). With no experience returning, we will have to wait two more seasons while we train our next starting QB. That is just not acceptable.

Frank Soich got us into this rut as during his last several seasons, we became so desperate in trying to win each game, week by week, all season long, that we never got meaning ful playing time to the back ups. Eventually, we found ourselves in the weak posiiton of starting each new season with far too many unknown players in key positions (they are all key really).

Westercamp is a starter along with Valentine, etc. You are deliberately trying to argue with something I did NOT say or suggest. There are some on this list certainly that are not playing much already. If they are in line to play because a senior is ahead of them, then fine they should move up. But we don't play 2nd string or 3rd string juniors ahead of 3rd string freshmen or sophs. We MUST restore the program. We must invest in the future. Wasting valuable playing time trying to win our 4th game this year when we have 30 or 40 young guys are riding the pine waiting for what? Their chance to go 4-8 because they are green as gords?

Tommy Armstrong

Josh Banderas

Cethan Carter

Maliek Collins

Sam Cotton

Ross Dzuris

Sam Foltz

Trey Foster

Ryker Fyfe

Nate Gerry

Lane Hovey

Kevin Maurice

Greg McMullen

Alonzo Moore

Terrell Newby

Brandon Reilly

Michael Rose-Ivey

Vincent Valentine

Jordan Westerkamp

Quick question: How many schools give significant playing time to their 2nd or 3rd string QB when their starter is perfectly healthy? I don't get the hand-wringing over this--it's not like every other school but Nebraska is 2 or 3 deep at the QB position in terms of playing time.

Tommy Armstrong

Josh Banderas

Cethan Carter

Maliek Collins

Sam Cotton

Ross Dzuris

Sam Foltz

Trey Foster

Ryker Fyfe

Nate Gerry

Lane Hovey

Kevin Maurice

Greg McMullen

Alonzo Moore

Terrell Newby

Brandon Reilly

Michael Rose-Ivey

Vincent Valentine

Jordan Westerkamp

Westercamp is a starter along with Valentine, etc. You are deliberately trying to argue with something I did NOT say or suggest. There are some on this list certainly that are not playing much already. If they are in line to play because a senior is ahead of them, then fine they should move up. But we don't play 2nd string or 3rd string juniors ahead of 3rd string freshmen or sophs. We MUST restore the program. We must invest in the future. Wasting valuable playing time trying to win our 4th game this year when we have 30 or 40 young guys are riding the pine waiting for what? Their chance to go 4-8 because they are green as gords?

Building depth is important in most positions especially the offensive line and defensive line (which is why the staff's philosophy on keeping the starters in the whole game is frustrating to me). We've build some good depth at LB due to injury and such, and have good depth at WR.

Quick question: How many schools give significant playing time to their 2nd or 3rd string QB when their starter is perfectly healthy?

Quick Answer: Ohio State gets their second and third string quarterbacks onto the field almost every game in some form or fashion.

JT Barrett led Ohio State to 11-0 before he got injured against Michigan.

Braxton Milled led Ohio State to 12-0 before he got injured last offseason.

Cardale Jones led Ohio State to the national title last season after replacing JT Barrett.

That's hardly the same as Nebraska's situation.

Yeah......it's the line. We need to recruit o-line big time. I think a better coaching staff could do better in the run game than this staff, but we're not getting a silk purse from this line anything close to Top 10 standards.

In that regard, our present staff is doing a pretty good job of calling the plays that will get our plethora of talented receivers into the running game , but our hit-n-miss duel-threat QB probably will never be accurate enough to run it with consistency.(You can just watch the film and see how much we gave up with bad passing and flat out not seeing wide open receivers waving their arms.)

2 and 3 point losses? This is no time to panic like a bunch of 5th graders.