LJS: Christopherson Game Recap

zoogs

I like BC's work. The ending to this one sums up our feelings pretty well, I think:

Memorial Stadium was so quiet. What could anyone say?

"Well, I told (the team) we're going to coach football on Monday, and practice football on Monday, and we're going to continue to work to get better," Riley said. "Everybody that wants to do that will be there. I think that this group will be."

Boy, this sucks, guys. But what else is there to do? We'll see you all next week at 11, I am sure. Here's to better days.

And this little gem:

Northwestern's defensive line, led by big No. 94, Dean Lowry, took the lunch and dinner of Nebraska's front for much of the day. The left end had 10 tackles, two sacks and an eye-popping six tackles for loss.

You'd think with this experienced staff, they would have plays to nullify this pursuit. A toss sweep away from him, reverse, traps, draws, PA pass, zone read right at him.....OR maybe even the novel approach of benching the sorry a$$ OL that continued to let TA get crushed and allowed the TFL.... You know. Accountability......
The comment you posted above, says it all. A mediocre coach who is used to and accepting of the losses. If he knew how to win he would have and would be......... He has no idea how to right this ship.

What a motivational speech there, Coach... Makes me want to jump right up and fold some socks or maybe wait till after a nap.

Perhaps we should change our slogan from "Go Big Red!" to "Show up if you feel like it, or whatever."

Yep. IIRC we lose one more home game and it will be the first time in history we have a losing record at home......

Just an average guys mentality with no real expectations of achieving greatness......

• Fire 1

What a motivational speech there, Coach... Makes me want to jump right up and fold some socks or maybe wait till after a nap.

Perhaps we should change our slogan from "Go Big Red!" to "Show up if you feel like it, or whatever."

Yep. IIRC we lose one more home game and it will be the first time in history we have a losing record at home......

Just an average guys mentality with no real expectations of achieving greatness......

You don't coach this long by being an average guy with no expectations of achieving greatness.

These coaches are more than average guys, and they came to Nebraska for a reason. They have expectations, they're just not seeing them 8 games into their tenure here. This is surprising?

Not for me. I thought we'd be a little bit better as a football team, but I knew there'd be struggles this year.

What scares me is this "going through the motions" look I get from some of the players on this team.

This is just not Mike Riley's team yet. Hard to indict them for everything we're seeing.

• Fire 2

You don't coach this long by being an average guy with no expectations of achieving greatness.

These coaches are more than average guys, and they came to Nebraska for a reason. They have expectations, they're just not seeing them 8 games into their tenure here. This is surprising?

Not for me. I thought we'd be a little bit better as a football team, but I knew there'd be struggles this year.

What scares me is this "going through the motions" look I get from some of the players on this team.

This is just not Mike Riley's team yet. Hard to indict them for everything we're seeing.

An honest question. What in Riley's career makes you think he will be successful here? I agree 100% with players effort. Why does Riley allow it? Why has it continued since game one? I realize it might be the whole "don't rock the boat" the first year, but if you are trying to instill a winning attitude, know that you don't have the guys for your system, who cares. You are the coach. Make guys accountable for day one with expectations of how things will be.

I just see nothing in his career that says "winner". From his record, hollow press conferences with no change and the lack luster play/attitude from the players (some not all). I'd love to be wrong. See him lead us to the MNC or conference championship, but I don't see that in his future. Wasn't impressed with the hire from the jump and even less now that I get to see his product week in and week out.

• Fire 4

An honest question. What in Riley's career makes you think he will be successful here?

He sure sounds like he knows what he's talking about, unlike Bo Pelini.

Riley always seems to have the right answer and he seems to see the same things that I believe this team needs to fix. He clearly doesn't see the effort thing as an issue from what we've heard him say. So I guess that's good for him and is definitely telling as to why he doesn't seem to be too worried about accountability. Hard to address a problem that you don't see as a problem in the first place.

Aside from that, I've always liked his plan. I like the coaches he's surrounded himself with. I like the philosophy and scheme on both offense and defense. I just don't think the players excute either one very consistently.

I'd like to see the guy get a shot at things with a little bit more of a roster he's built for himself and his coaches.

Aside from that, I can't judge him too much based on his history as far as win/losses go. He was at Oregon St.. Nobody wins there........ except for Riley.

A lot of smart people say he's a good coach. He was offered some really top tier positions in the past, that can't be for no reason.

I'm not going to judge him too harshly based on his 8 games so far into this season either.

Like I said, I just like the way he does things and I happen to think both the offensive and defensive plans will come together just fine if we can get guys to execute them more consistently. It's not happening right now.

• Fire 2

I'd like to see the guy get a shot at things with a little bit more of a roster he's built for himself and his coaches.

He's had a lot of chances to work with a roster he's built for himself. He's now 150-151 as a HC. How many more seasons do you need to see before you realize the capabilities of Mike Riley?

• Fire 1

He's had a lot of chances to work with a roster he's built for himself. He's now 150-151 as a HC. How many more seasons do you need to see before you realize the capabilities of Mike Riley?

Maybe 2, possibly 3.

An honest question. What in Riley's career makes you think he will be successful here?

He sure sounds like he knows what he's talking about, unlike Bo Pelini.

Riley always seems to have the right answer and he seems to see the same things that I believe this team needs to fix. He clearly doesn't see the effort thing as an issue from what we've heard him say. So I guess that's good for him and is definitely telling as to why he doesn't seem to be too worried about accountability. Hard to address a problem that you don't see as a problem in the first place.

Aside from that, I've always liked his plan. I like the coaches he's surrounded himself with. I like the philosophy and scheme on both offense and defense. I just don't think the players excute either one very consistently.

Aside from that, I can't judge him too much based on his history as far as win/losses go. He was at Oregon St.. Nobody wins there........ except for Riley.

A lot of smart people say he's a good coach. He was offered some really top tier positions in the past, that can't be for no reason.

I'm not going to judge him too harshly based on his 8 games so far into this season either.

Like I said, I just like the way he does things and I happen to think both the offensive and defensive plans will come together just fine if we can get guys to execute them more consistently. It's not happening right now.

Hmmm, that is interesting. I am not a big fan of his press conferences and what he says, I don't know exactly why but it just seems like it is probably the same exact things he has been saying forever. I do like how approaches the questions and the press conferences though.

I also don't like who he surrounded himself with but that is just a philosophy thing on my end. If I was him I would have went and found the very best recruiters that I could possibly get. That would have been the most important part of the job description. But that is just what I think he should have done.

that statement scares me, at 62 he is not going to ride off in the sunset as a guy with an impressive record.........he is comfortable with his coaches, Banker and others, who have enjoyed no particular success either......he has been a .500 guy and stuck at Oregon State for years........he seldom switched out any of his assistants, hoping to get better, so that tells me his comfort zone is not predicated on the drive for wins........average Joe, we f'ing don't need that!

I sort of take that quote as he realizes he is starting to lose the grip of this team and players are quitting on him....

This is worse than 2007.

i don't know if his kids are quitting on him, but i am pretty sure our guys doubt his offensive philosophy at least and the defensive secondary coach should be relieved at the end of the season.