Unbelievable story

Nebraska dream ends sadly

Brain condition kills student from Clairton

Saturday, March 18, 2006

By Tim Grant, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Andy Starnes, Post-Gazette

Sherri Hall, flanked by her husband, Thomas, and son, Dallas, 15, holds a photograph of her 18-year-old son, Jontee', who died recently at the University of Nebraska, where he was a freshman.

Jontee' Hall had one dream, one goal, one magnificent obsession. And that was to attend the University of Nebraska.

He made it there in August. But only five months after the Clairton resident achieved his goal, he was found unconscious in his dorm bathroom and died Jan. 13.

Nebraska medical officials informed his family this week that the 18-year-old freshman with no history of medical problems died from a brain hemorrhage. No foul play was involved.

"We feel relieved to get the final report, but also sadness because it's another step to an ending," said his mother, Sherri Hall. "It basically adds up to the same thing for me, that he's gone."

Mr. Hall's proudest day was when he officially enrolled at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln last fall. It was the only college he applied to. Even the theme of his funeral was the same as everything else had been in his life since the fifth grade. It was all about Nebraska.

The 2005 honors graduate of Clairton City High School played some high school football. He was not on the college team. But he was one of its biggest fans.

"It didn't take me but a few quick minutes to realize that this kid bled more husker red than even a native Nebraskan like myself," one classmate wrote in a letter to his family.

Mr. Hall was buried along with a Nebraska football signed by Huskers head coach Bill Callahan. A letter written by Mr. Callahan was read at the service. Recordings of the college band performing the Nebraska fight song and other songs the band played this year at halftime were played during the viewing and at the end of the funeral service.

The athletic department gave Mr. Hall's family a football jersey that had been worn by a player. Mr. Hall was buried wearing the jersey and his five-time national championship Nebraska Huskers ball cap.

The red leather Nebraska jacket that Mr. Hall was hardly ever seen without was placed in the coffin, which was lined with a red velvet lid inscribed with his name and the words "University of Nebraska."

More than 150 people attended the funeral, including 15 students from his dorm.

"I don't remember Jontee' wearing anything but red, black and every once in a while, blue," said Dallas Hall, 15, his younger brother.

The Hall family thrives on football.

Jontee's younger brother was named after the Dallas Cowboys. His father, Tom Hall, 47, is a Nebraska fan. His mother is from Oklahoma, so she roots for the Sooners. By the time he reached fifth grade, Jontee' had to choose a team.

"He picked Nebraska for us to have common ground for us to talk about," said Mrs. Hall, 39, who wears a Dallas leather jacket and carries an Oklahoma University purse.

Both parents are clerical workers at Mercy Hospital. Both took part-time jobs at night to help pay their son's college costs. He took on student loans.

"He always said he'd give his right arm to go to Nebraska," Mrs. Hall said. "And that's where the tattoo was. He had a Nebraska 'N' tattooed on his right shoulder. It was one of the few things he did behind my back that I didn't know about until the day I saw him at the hospital.

"I just really want any kid nowadays who wants to go to college and thinks it's impossible to never let their dream go. Jontee' didn't. His dream came true."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tim Grant can be reached at tgrant@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1591.)

Wow thats a heavy story. He sounds like he was a remarkable person, and I'm proud of him for defying convention and fulfilling his dream. UNL is definitely a lesser place without Jontee' Hall. Very sad for his family - deep sympathies to them.

Huskers Forever.