he wears #4 for a reason

We just need the ball last!

Yeah. It's scary when you go ahead with :17 left in the game, and worry that it's STILL to much time for the opposing quarterback.

This is so wrong but so right..

...and still one of the big problems is special teams; both decisions and execution. Going for two early in the fourth quarter? Had they not done that, they would not have had to go for two at the end of the game to try to make it a three point game.

and then, as both of you alluded to above, it was still scary with :17 left. Why not kick it into the end zone and make them go at least 50 yards in 17 seconds to get in field goal range? That squib kick put MSU one big pass play (25 - 30 yards) from field goal range.

If the Huskers had made that early two point conversion, the next (successful) one would have made it a 4 point game. And now your opponent needs a touchdown to win. Obviously it didn't work out that way but if it does, all of a sudden the coach is a forward thinking genius. It didn't happen that way though so the decision gets second guessed.

Yeah. It's scary when you go ahead with :17 left in the game, and worry that it's STILL to much time for the opposing quarterback.

...and still one of the big problems is special teams; both decisions and execution. Going for two early in the fourth quarter? Had they not done that, they would not have had to go for two at the end of the game to try to make it a three point game.

and then, as both of you alluded to above, it was still scary with :17 left. Why not kick it into the end zone and make them go at least 50 yards in 17 seconds to get in field goal range? That squib kick put MSU one big pass play (25 - 30 yards) from field goal range.

If the Huskers had made that early two point conversion, the next (successful) one would have made it a 4 point game. And now your opponent needs a touchdown to win. Obviously it didn't work out that way but if it does, all of a sudden the coach is a forward thinking genius. It didn't happen that way though so the decision gets second guessed.

I thought it was the wrong choice at the time, but given how disoriented MSU was in shuttling players in and out the previous plays, the two point play might have seemed easy pickings. The play call itself was solid.

I totally expected the squib kick at the end, because that's what a lot of coaches do in those situations, hoping to force a less-speedy up man to field the ball inside the red zone and burn off some clock. It was a bad squib kick, just like it was a bad onside kick. If Brown's not so great on technique, maybe you do just have him boot it through the end zone.

I thought it was the wrong choice at the time, but given how disoriented MSU was in shuttling players in and out the previous plays, the two point play might have seemed easy pickings. The play call itself was solid.

I totally expected the squib kick at the end, because that's what a lot of coaches do in those situations, hoping to force a less-speedy up man to field the ball inside the red zone and burn off some clock. It was a bad squib kick, just like it was a bad onside kick. If Brown's not so great on technique, maybe you do just have him boot it through the end zone.

See, I was thinking the exact opposite. I was expecting Brown to boot it deep and give MSU a long field. But, I believe what you posted in your last sentence is why they squib kicked. Perhaps their confidence level in Brown booting it out of the end zone in that situation wasn't high. And regardless, in those kinds of situations, it wouldn't shock any of us to see the return man get the ball 5 yards deep and try and take it out of the end zone. If you're going to have to drive the length of the field anyways, might as well see if you can do a bit better than the 25.

MSU also seemed to be doing a pretty good job getting decent field position on kickoff returns.

I understand why they did the squib kick, and I think that MSU player made a hell of a play on the ball. In the moment, though, I was a little irate. Such is fandom.

Immediately after we took the lead, I texted my son "He'll find a way to lose this one, too." Then the squib. What this coach is thinking is anybodies guess. Kick the ball deep! We're lucky to come away with the "W".