Position Changes

Here is what Coach Callahan had to say about the position changes this Spring. Taken from Huskers.com

On position changes

“Let me preface this point by saying that the players that we have moved are being moved because we feel that they can add value to our team. We feel strongly about their ability to contribute in some form or fashion. They’re guys who are unselfish players and are willing to take these moves and try to capitalize and maximize on their potential. Also, from a coaching staff perspective, we are trying to find roles for all of our players. With that being said, I had mentioned Dan Erickson making the move from wide receiver to free safety. Hopefully we can get him back sooner than later. Brian Wilson in the secondary will move from corner to free safety. Jordan Adams moves from quarterback to free safety. We need help back at that end at that point right now because of our depth situation. Tierre Green moves from corner to strong safety and Ben Eisenhart moves from his corner position to a strong safety role as well. We’re trying to build some depth in that particular area and try to create a two- and three-deep for spring so we can at least take a look at some of these potential candidates during this period of time, again to maximize their abilities. At linebacker, we’ve made two moves at the SAM position. We moved Dontrell Moore back from defensive end to the outside SAM position as well as Lance Brandenburgh. We took him from the MIKE and WILL positions, and we’re going to line him up at the starting SAM this spring. So we’ve made some moves in that respect. In the defensive line, we’ve made two changes there. We moved Ty Steinkuhler from the five-technique - the base end position – we moved him inside to the three-technique where he’ll line up over the guard. He’ll add a little more depth to that particular position and he’ll complement Barry Cryer in that regard. And then, of course, we moved Craig Roark, who was a center/offensive guard. We moved him from that position to the nose tackle position to give us a little more depth at that spot, in terms of backing up Ndamukong Suh and Ola Dagunduru. Both of those moves in the defensive line have been done to provide us with a little bit more depth at those particular positions.”

I wonder how much action Jordan Adams is going to see at free safety? I'm guessing about as much as he saw at QB.

YEah, he'll be about 4th or 5th string. I feel bad for some guys that get moved around every other week. I think that is dumb. I can see moving a few guys around once or whatever but guys like moore and jackson have been moved back and forth probably 5 times now. Put them at a postition and leave them there already.

I don't mind seeing people move around, especially if they are going to see absolutely zero time at their current position. However, I don't remember Adams even being considered a very mobile QB, let alone a dual-threat type of QB who may have a shot at safety.

If he has absolutely zero chance at seeing playing time at safety AND quarterback, maybe the move is just so that he can see the X's and O's on the other side of the ball to help a future coaching career?

YEah, he'll be about 4th or 5th string.  I feel bad for some guys that get moved around every other week.  I think that is dumb.  I can see moving a few guys around once or whatever but guys like moore and jackson have been moved back and forth probably 5 times now.  Put them at a postition and leave them there already.

Every other week. You crack me up.

These kids talk like they will do whatever they can to get on the field and help the team. That's what you haven't really seen in most of the last two years. I'll give you that moving from one side of the ball to the other can be quite the change, however most changes have kept kids on one side of the ball. Besides, it's not like these kids have only played one position ever. It's not that hard to believe that a lot of these players might just have an idea how to play multiple positions. Sure they don't know all the details the first day out, but hey, this isn't rocket science It's football.

But yea, it's not going to matter. It'll just rain anyway.

YEah, he'll be about 4th or 5th string.  I feel bad for some guys that get moved around every other week.  I think that is dumb.  I can see moving a few guys around once or whatever but guys like moore and jackson have been moved back and forth probably 5 times now.  Put them at a postition and leave them there already.

Every other week. You crack me up.

These kids talk like they will do whatever they can to get on the field and help the team. That's what you haven't really seen in most of the last two years. I'll give you that moving from one side of the ball to the other can be quite the change, however most changes have kept kids on one side of the ball. Besides, it's not like these kids have only played one position ever. It's not that hard to believe that a lot of these players might just have an idea how to play multiple positions. Sure they don't know all the details the first day out, but hey, this isn't rocket science It's football.

But yea, it's not going to matter. It'll just rain anyway.

Like I said, I have no problem with a move or two by a few players but for some of the guys like Dontrelle Moore and Leon Jackson it is about ridiculous. I think moore has been moved to every linebacker position and dend about 10 times each. Jackson has played running back, safety positions, wr, running back again.

I don't mind seeing people move around, especially if they are going to see absolutely zero time at their current position. However, I don't remember Adams even being considered a very mobile QB, let alone a dual-threat type of QB who may have a shot at safety.

If he has absolutely zero chance at seeing playing time at safety AND quarterback, maybe the move is just so that he can see the X's and O's on the other side of the ball to help a future coaching career?

An interesting possibility.

I figured Adams would have transferred but maybe he'll be another great grad assistant down the road.

In terms of the concern that Adams won't see any playing time, the truth is that he would have seen absolutely NO playing time at the quarterback position. Stuntz made the move to safety..., I believe that Stuntz did see spot duty every once in-awhile at safety (and he wouldn't have taken a snap under center IMO)

I'm sure the coaches are looking at playing time for the players. If you're not panning out in an area or won't get used, why not reevaluate how a player's athleticism can contribute to another position? Some players - like D. Moore - have a great deal of athleticism and can be used in multiple positions....same goes for Leon Jackson. I see no problem in moving players to positions where they have the best chance to contribute.

I think moore has been moved to every linebacker position and dend about 10 times each. 

Give me a break. 10 times each. That's 50 changes (3lbs and two de's). There are 52 weeks in a year, FYI.

Oh yea, I think this one is earned. :lol:

giantguesswho.jpg

In terms of the concern that Adams won't see any playing time, the truth is that he would have seen absolutely NO playing time at the quarterback position. Stuntz made the move to safety..., I believe that Stuntz did see spot duty every once in-awhile at safety (and he wouldn't have taken a snap under center IMO)

I'm sure the coaches are looking at playing time for the players. If you're not panning out in an area or won't get used, why not reevaluate how a player's athleticism can contribute to another position? Some players - like D. Moore - have a great deal of athleticism and can be used in multiple positions....same goes for Leon Jackson. I see no problem in moving players to positions where they have the best chance to contribute.

Like i've said I have no problem with moving guys but find one for them and let them perfect it. I don't think moore has stayed at a spot for longer then a few weeks.

Adams flat out isnt D-1 talent. He doenst have the speed that Stuntz did, he wont sniff the field

I haven't seen Adams play on the field, so you're probably right. If they didn't think he couldn't contribute, why don't they push him out the door and save a scolly, though?

As for Moore and Jackson, it seems as if the multiple position changes hasnt really helped them out much, has it? Probably more of a hindrance.

I believe Leon approached Cally about moving to safety in the first place. He was just trying to help the team. don't know about Moore, though. IMO, Moore, Jackson and Green epitomize the Cally's description of "unselfish" players. They certainly haven't behaved like a "prima donna" (now, who could that be?) <_<

Personally, I liked Moore as a DE. Leon should stay a RB. Green to safety is not a huge leap. All is well in Husker Nation.

Its gonna bring a smile to my face when Jackson is confusing the hell out of defenses and creating horrible matchup difficulties when he lines up at I back one play, split end the next, and than wide out the play after that in his junior year. From everything I have heard, he is talented enough to play pretty much any skill position, and maybe they are settting him up to be a charles woodson, teddy ginn kind of athlete that plays all over the field.... Just because he didnt see a ton of time as a freshman does not mean he wont as a sophomore or beyond...