Post Unit/Position Reviews

BIG ERN

QB:

Armstrong

2,856 passing yards 210/383 (54.8%) 21 TD, 16 INT

466 rushing yards, 6 TD (3.7 ypc)

Fyfe

34/55 (61.8%) 5 TD, 5 INT

While numbers were up it's the efficiency of those numbers that were concerning. Tommy to me looked no different than he has his previous two years here. He will make some great plays on the run, but his decision making, especially in the pocket, leaves a lot to be desired. He also has never been a great runner as some might think. He can however get you a needed 1st down run if needed.

2016 Outlook - To me this is the biggest decision the staff will make next season. Do you start the true freshman, or ride the inconsistency of Armstrong? O'Brien will make mistakes of course, but is a way more polished passer who would vastly improve over the season. Look for attrition.

RB/FB:

Newby

764 rush yards on 143 attempts, 5 TD (5.2 ypc)

23 receptions for 128 yards, 1 TD (6.9)

Cross

414 rush yards on 96 attempts, 5 TD (4.1 ypc)

2 receptions for 10 yards (5.0)

Janovich

239 rush yards on 36 attempts, 2 TD (6.5 ypc)

2 receptions for 58 yards (29.0)

Ozigbo

129 yards on 18 attempts, 1 TD (7.2 ypc)

4 receptions for 47 yards (11.8)

We all knew there would be a hole left after Abdullah left, but I honestly thought we would have seen a little better production here. Newby is a back who will not win or lose you games. Cross became a solid short down back, but nothing more. Janovich and Ozigbo should have seen more carries this year. The offensive line wasn't much of a help either.

2016 Outlook - With the top 2/3 rushers now gone we will see a lot of new faces again next year. I liked the things I saw with Ozigbo and Wilbon. Would have liked to see Taylor get some carries as well. Tre Bryant has a good chance at seeing the field as a true freshmen. Look for attrition.

WR/TE

Westerkamp

63 receptions for 874 yards, 7 TD (13.9)

Reilly

37 receptions for 716 yards, 4 TD (19.4)

Moore

23 receptions for 382 yards, 6 TD (16.6)

Morgan

23 receptions for 273 yards, 2 TD (11.9)

Carter

22 receptions for 297 yards, 2 TD (13.5)

Overall I liked what I see out of the receiving core. Reilly and Moore looked light years ahead of what they did last season. Carter came on late to also provide a spark.

2016 Outlook - DEADLY. We need to consistantly get these guys the ball. DPE hopefully stays healthy, and a healthy Snyder will add even more of a threat.

DT/DE

Collins

29 tackles (7 TFL), 2.5 sacks

McMullen

26 tackles (6 TFL), 4 sacks

Dzuris

23 tackles (8 TFL), 2.5 sacks

Akinmoladun

21 tackles (7 TFL), 4.5 sacks

Maurice

19 tackles (3 TFL), 1 sack

Gangwish

15 tackles (4 TFL), 1.5 sacks

Valentine

8 tackles (4 TFL), 3 sacks

We all thought this group would have a much better season. Some injuies didn't help, but the lack of pash rush on the outsides hurt this football team. Towards the end of the year the D line did become a solid run defense up front.

2016 Outlook - If we get all the guys back this should be a very disruptive unit. Another year for Freedom will help with the lack of athleticism at the DE position. The interior will be the catalyst to this defense.

LB

Young

58 tackles (5 TFL)

Banderas

57 tackles (7 TFL)

Weber

48 tackles (5 TFL)

Newby

34 tackles (5 TFL) 1 sack

Rose-Ivey

24 tackles (3 TFL)

Injuries definitley hurt this unit. Young showed his promise, and Weber proved he should see more PT. I still would like to see Rose-Ivey move to the inside and have Banderas outside.

2016 Outlook - The more time these guys have with coach Bray, the more comfortable I feel about how they will play next season. Watch this group rise to the occasion.

DB

Gerry

75 tackles (2 TFL), 1 sack, 4 INT, 7 BrUps

Kalu

67 tackles, (5 TFL), 1 sack, 2 INT, 6 BrUps

Cockrell

65 tackles, (4 TFL), 6 BrUps

Rose

42 tackles (1 TFL), 1 INT, 7 BrUps

Jones

23 tackles (2 TFL), 1 sack, 1 INT, 4 BrUps

A. Williams

21 tackles, (2 TFL)

This unit was awful the first half of the season. I thought they came around nicely towads the end. The scheme was definitely more hard to grasp than one expected. With no real pash rush and the LBs letting players get to the second level a lot was asked from this unit.

2016 Outlook - I only see improvement from this unit. I think Kalu, Williams, and Jones will come into their own to make a big leap.

SP Teams

Brown

20/26 FG

Foltz

44.4 punt avg, 15 inside the 20

We all know a weapon that Foltz can be, but Brown is now showing to be the same. Glad he turned it around and both should have great seasons next year. With DPE healthy returning punts and kicks next year we should have a great unit here.

• Fire 4

This deserves more +1s for the color scheme alone.

My shortened outlook:

QB needs addressed. Play-calling goes hand-in-hand.

I'd like to see what Newby can do when healthy and not running right up the middle 80% of the time.

WR was a bright spot this year and will be loaded again next year.

OL is better than most give them credit for. Think we'll see improvement from Foster, Farmer, etc.

DT will again be a strong point, even if Collins leaves. Interested to see where the Davis twins play.

DE needs some depth but Freedom is a really good start.

LBs played very well overall and are all back.

DBs did much better once Banker decided we didn't HAVE to run Quarters ALL the time and mixed in more Cover 2. More talent that most realize. And we're not losing much and adding two pretty good RS Frosh.

Drew Brown was MUCH better down the stretch and Foltz was obviously great.