No child left behind = No more

I have a question that hopefully some of you could answer? My wife works with kids that have a hard time learning in school and she absolutely loves her job. At times, it is hard on her as some of the kids are real asses and she knows there is nothing that can be done.

She has this student that she is suppose to help from 8:15-9:00 every morning. It is something that was just assigned to her about a month ago. In the last month, this kid has been on time twice. My wife said that she usually shows up at 8:45 and sometimes doesn't even show up till after 9. I asked her if there was anything the school can do and she said that there isn't. Is this correct? I thought at one time, a school could bring legal action against a parent or parents for issues with the kid missing school.

I have a question that hopefully some of you could answer? My wife works with kids that have a hard time learning in school and she absolutely loves her job. At times, it is hard on her as some of the kids are real asses and she knows there is nothing that can be done.

She has this student that she is suppose to help from 8:15-9:00 every morning. It is something that was just assigned to her about a month ago. In the last month, this kid has been on time twice. My wife said that she usually shows up at 8:45 and sometimes doesn't even show up till after 9. I asked her if there was anything the school can do and she said that there isn't. Is this correct? I thought at one time, a school could bring legal action against a parent or parents for issues with the kid missing school.

They can turn it over to the authorities for truency, but there are a lot of truent students in schools. There are kids that are constantly late for school and a lot of the times it is the parents fault.

Why does there have to be something the school should do? If parents aren't going to hold their kids accountable then it's not going to matter. My wife is in similar situations and so I understand where you are coming from.

She's recently come home being bitten, kicked and scratched. Heaven forbid we suspend the kid, instead she gets told it's the nature of the job.

Schools cannot reach every kid, it is impossible to do so.

Why does there have to be something the school should do? If parents aren't going to hold their kids accountable then it's not going to matter. My wife is in similar situations and so I understand where you are coming from.

She's recently come home being bitten, kicked and scratched. Heaven forbid we suspend the kid, instead she gets told it's the nature of the job.

Schools cannot reach every kid, it is impossible to do so.

We have talked about this before Power T and my wife puts up with the same as yours and gets told the same thing, there is nothing they can do. The kid I am referencing is in 2nd grade so it would be hard to kind of hold her responsible. This is why I asked if the school could actually do something about it. My wife has told me that this kid's parents just DGAF about anything and that it is sad that the kid has to suffer. That is why I was asking if the school could take action against the parents.

OK.....so, everyone hated it. I'm not in education but I know enough people who hate it that it must have really sucked as a law. I agree with Knapp that it was a very well intended law that just didn't work out.

My biggest question now is, what will we see change in education due to getting rid of this law?

And, how do we hold teacher's accountable for doing their job well?

I know teachers in our own school that are fantastic and ones that totally suck. How do we quantify that so we can get rid of the ones that suck and reward the ones that are fantastic so our school system continues to improve?

How do you know they are fantastic?

How do you know they suck?