Nebraska Team Composite Ranking

Wordek

I wonder where this ranks compared to last year.

Just googling, it looks like this may be the first year that they compiled a list like this.

I really think we fired Bo too soon... the staff from 2014 would have had a great opportunity to go 10-2 or better against the schedule this year, especially with the experienced talent that came back.

10-2 seems a little optimistic.
I also feel Bo would have done a lot better than 5-7. I think we would have struggled with Wisconsin, Michigan St, and Iowa ended up 10-2 or 9-3. I feel this team easily had above .500 talent. With that being said, every game was competitive but Purdue this year and Riley's staff could have gone 9-3 or 10-2. The best thing about this staff is the ability to win the big game.

I feel like we are positioned well. Take away the horrendous pass defense from the first half of the season and also keep Tommy from forcing deep balls in to double coverage and this team has a strong chance to do well next year. I do not feel a need for a huge over haul. Next year could be fun!

4*'s on the roster this year per 247

4* Seniors

Cross, Reeves, Turner, J Rose

4* Juniors

Westercamp, Banderas, Armstrong, McMullen, T Newby, M. Rose, Thurston, Jackson

4* Sophomores

M Newby, Natter, Taylor

Not good. Not good at all. NU's post season player recognition this year was very low and I doubt it's much better next year.

Just googling, it looks like this may be the first year that they compiled a list like this.

I really think we fired Bo too soon... the staff from 2014 would have had a great opportunity to go 10-2 or better against the schedule this year, especially with the experienced talent that came back.

ca22ee79315ba50866e0e927957b9061.jpg

Yeah Bo was just about to turn the corner in year 8 with his least talented roster yet. And a more difficult schedule than the past 2 years.

10-2 seems a little optimistic.

7 wins max

Yeah Bo was just about to turn the corner in year 8 with his least talented roster yet. And a more difficult schedule than the past 2 years.

What objective measures do you have to support those statements, especially the sos argument?

What objective measures do you have to support those statements, especially the sos argument?

Sagarin SOS ranking

2015 - 47 (With UCLA still to play)

2014 - 61

2013 - 55

Ken Massey SOS ranking

2015 - 38 (UCLA)

2014 - 52

2013 - 50

Number of top 25 caliber teams

2015 - 4 (MSU, Iowa, NW, Wisky)

2014 - 3 (MSU, Wisky, USC)

2013 - 2 (MSU, UCLA)

Top 50 teams

2015 - 7 (MSU, Iowa, NW, Wisky, Miami, UCLA, BYU)

2014 - 6 (MSU, Wisky, USC, Minny, Rutgers, Miami)

2013 - 6 (MSU, UCLA, UGA, Iowa, Mich, PSU)

• Fire 1

Sagarin SOS ranking

2014 - 61

2013 - 55

Ken Massey SOS ranking

2015 - 38 (UCLA)

2014 - 52

2013 - 50

2013 - 2 (MSU, UCLA)

Top 50 teams

How do you control for the fact that if NU beats some of those teams this year, they wouldn't be top 20 or top 50 and the '15 strength of schedule would be diminished as a result?

We are ranked 23 in current recruit talent on the team based off their recruiting rankings.

5 Stars: 0

4 Stars: 21

3 Stars: 54

Michigan State who is playing in the CFP is one spot ahead of us at 23. Iowa is 52.

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite

Interesting numbers!!! Two things that come to my mind that could be used to adjust this ranking:

1) upper classman VS under classman - a 4* senior lineman would be a lot more valuable than a 4* freshman lineman

2) having 6 3* players in one position group and then having 4/6 4* players in another position group wouldn't be as good as having your 4* spread out across the team.

I think this could be said about our team - we have most of our line talent as underclassman(exception Collins) and we have a couple position groups that aren't balanced between 3* / 4*

This pretty much sums up our problem. Of course we have some good/great talent. However, a lot of that talent is loaded up in just a couple different position groups. Some of our recruiting especially at RB, QB, and WR over the past several years has been baffling while almost ignoring other position groups.

Out of curiosity, which recruits were taken at those positions that shouldn't have been?

It's also worth noting that recruiting isn't like grocery shopping. You don't get to necessarily make a list and pick up the exact number of prospects at each position that you intend to. There have been recruiting misses under every staff, but other than over-recruiting of JUCOs under Callahan, I don't think there's much evidence of massive roster mismanagement. Not when you compare the NU roster to all other rosters in the B10 and against top 30 rosters.

Bo had like seven QBs on scholly at one time. I'd call this mismanagement especially considering that pretty much none of them panned out. When Bo brought in Abdullah, Green, and Heard as RBs; yeah it was pretty easy to see there were a few too many roosters in the henhouse.

We are ranked 23 in current recruit talent on the team based off their recruiting rankings.

5 Stars: 0

4 Stars: 21

3 Stars: 54

Michigan State who is playing in the CFP is one spot ahead of us at 23. Iowa is 52.

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite

Interesting numbers!!! Two things that come to my mind that could be used to adjust this ranking:

1) upper classman VS under classman - a 4* senior lineman would be a lot more valuable than a 4* freshman lineman

2) having 6 3* players in one position group and then having 4/6 4* players in another position group wouldn't be as good as having your 4* spread out across the team.

I think this could be said about our team - we have most of our line talent as underclassman(exception Collins) and we have a couple position groups that aren't balanced between 3* / 4*

This pretty much sums up our problem. Of course we have some good/great talent. However, a lot of that talent is loaded up in just a couple different position groups. Some of our recruiting especially at RB, QB, and WR over the past several years has been baffling while almost ignoring other position groups.

Out of curiosity, which recruits were taken at those positions that shouldn't have been?

It's also worth noting that recruiting isn't like grocery shopping. You don't get to necessarily make a list and pick up the exact number of prospects at each position that you intend to. There have been recruiting misses under every staff, but other than over-recruiting of JUCOs under Callahan, I don't think there's much evidence of massive roster mismanagement. Not when you compare the NU roster to all other rosters in the B10 and against top 30 rosters.

Bo had like seven QBs on scholly at one time. I'd call this mismanagement especially considering that pretty much none of them panned out. When Bo brought in Abdullah, Green, and Heard as RBs; yeah it was pretty easy to see there were a few too many roosters in the henhouse.

QB I'll give you. RB? Bama does that like every single year.

Sagarin SOS ranking

2014 - 61

2013 - 55

Ken Massey SOS ranking

2015 - 38 (UCLA)

2014 - 52

2013 - 50

2013 - 2 (MSU, UCLA)

Top 50 teams

How do you control for the fact that if NU beats some of those teams this year, they wouldn't be top 20 or top 50 and the '15 strength of schedule would be diminished as a result?

This is why the "Bo would've gone (insert record here) with this roster" arguments make zero sense to me. There are far too many variables, the biggest of one is simply the fact that Bo didn't coach here this year.