Tommy Armstrong's Very Busy Holiday Season

knapplc

Tommy makes mistakes but he also needs to be put into position to succeed. He's at his best when he's commanding a strong rush attack and can use the run to setup the pass. He is not going to be effective throwing 30, 35, or 40 times a game. Limit his passes, dial up some shorter routes to bring up his confidence, and let him throw off of play-action and he will succeed. It's really not rocket science and I hope the coaches finally understand how to best use Tommy.

biggest difference was him not throwing off his back foot and into triple overage. That's on him, not the coaches.
But it is on the coaches to ask him to do things that he doesn't excel in. Tommy needs to be involved in the running game and be used in a lot of play action passes. Also, focusing on the run game brings an extra defender out of pass coverage and makes it easier for him to read coverages. Having TA drop back to pass and read multiple coverages 40 times a game is just stupid.

exactly.......MR told a damn lie, he forced TA into a pro style passing role......yeah, its his dream, when POB gets here he will soon be the man, because MR wants to run that style......but why piss away a season, trying to get TA to be something he is not?.......

And will MR try to piss away another season next year? Will he take a senior QB, who is a very well-liked leader of the team, and tailor the offense to him? Or will he force his own offense to TA. TA will most likely fail, and then MR will turn the reigns of the offense over to a true frosh and the team will struggle again.

I compliment him for tonight. He talked. Then backed it up with solid play. Its no coincidence that playing one of the worst rush defenses in the nation that for whatever the hell decided to play with 6-7 in the box all night made him morecomfortable, but yeah.

Um, wat?

Playing more in the the box means we'd have an easier time running the ball, and more guys in coverage making it harder to pass. So... that would actually make it harder on him (and less comfortable). Conversely, UCLA actually played more guys in the box (7-8 on most snaps, remember the announcers talking about it a bunch, and using graphics to point it out?) especially with all the heavy sets, and yet we were content to grind it out, and give Tommy good looks on play action passes.

What'd you do between Thanksgiving & Christmas? Likely you ate too much, did some shopping, got together with family & friends and generally were very busy.

Tommy Armstrong did all that, too. And...

He was disastrous against Iowa, kinda costing us the game.

He took the blame for the loss on his own shoulders, asked to be treated like a Freshman, and went back to work.

He did another 12 practices after Nebraska's season got a stay of execution & a bid to the Foster Farms bowl. Whatever that is.

He got engaged to his (now) fiancee, Husker soccer standout Jaylyn Odermann. For real.

He played in the Foster Farms bowl, where he was instrumental in the win.

And to cap it all off, he won the Offensive MVP award.

That's one hell of a busy Holiday Season for Mr. Armstrong.

Think what you will of Armstrong, compliment or criticize him however you want. But you can't question his work ethic. Yes, he's maddening at times, and yes, he's half incredible, half a disaster sometimes. But all things considered, I really like the guy. I'm glad he's our quarterback. And I'm firmly behind him taking all the snaps in 2016.

YOLO!

Funny how we Husker fans can remember the finest details of Tommie F's championship game in 1996-97 but tend to mis-remember Nov. 25th, 2015 for the current Tommy. Yeah, that's the day he was informed no charges would be filed for an alleged rape at his house. I wonder where that ranks in his "busy holiday schedule?"

There was an alleged rape at his house during a party there. Just because it was his house, doesn't mean he was involved in any way. You are jumping to conclusions here.

My opinion here is Armstrong has been very interception prone this year, and the coaches knew it would be better to take the chance trying to have success running the ball, limiting the number of times throwing the ball, therefore limiting the chances of interceptions. Simple as that