Athlon: Huskers Third in Big Ten West

Mavric

"Continuous improvement" is not really a very good measure of coaching acumen, especially in the college game.

I see no evidence that NU is about to land a game changing college QB, though he may end up being a good pro.

WOW

That could be one of the dumbest posts I have read on here in a long time. CM, I usually enjoy your posts, even though I don't agree all the time with them. But your hatred for this staff and love for the previous is really starting the cloud your judgement. If improvement isn't a good measure how do coaches last. Shouldn't every coach be fired after one maybe two years?

Why do people get all worked up over a January prediction as to what someone thinks is going to happen 8-10 months from now?

And...no....nobody will be satisfied with a 3rd place finish in our division.

Eichorst will. A record of 7 wins or more will be regarded as "marked improvement" and will be said and played over and over again in an attempt to convince fans that we're headed in the right direction.

Well, on a strictly factual basis, 7 wins would be improvement and fall within the definition of the "right direction" since that's what "improvement" is all about.

Doesn't mean you're satisfied with a 3rd place finish.

You'd want to see "continuous" improvement, which is how Nebraska got here in the first place.

But that would likely require a third and fourth season.

Should Nebraska land its first elite or even semi-elite quarterback in decades, and turn around its long and mysterious decline in defense, we might indeed be headed in the right direction.

But you have to play those seasons first to find out.

Come on. It'll be fun.

NO! it won't be. Even though you won't admit it , I can see from your posts that mediocrity is the new norm for you and alot of others on here.

Under the "continuous improvement" theory, TO should have been fired sometime between 1984 and 1992.

Just saying.

Point being: you should set a standard and then not fire any coach who achieves that standard, even if he's not "continuously improving" on that standard.

I think you are just arguing for the sake of being a contrarian. Obviously long-tenured coaches are held to a different standard.

TO is actually the worst possible example, since he never won less than 9 games. People may have grumbled, but he never gave them a chance to fire him. (Yes, Bo was different but you know why)

I would say as a modifier to the continuous improvement rule, winning big (above expectations) buys a coach some equity. Look at Beamer, Ferentz, Stoops, Richt, etc.

Why do people get all worked up over a January prediction as to what someone thinks is going to happen 8-10 months from now?

And...no....nobody will be satisfied with a 3rd place finish in our division.

Eichorst will. A record of 7 wins or more will be regarded as "marked improvement" and will be said and played over and over again in an attempt to convince fans that we're headed in the right direction.

Well, on a strictly factual basis, 7 wins would be improvement and fall within the definition of the "right direction" since that's what "improvement" is all about.

Doesn't mean you're satisfied with a 3rd place finish.

You'd want to see "continuous" improvement, which is how Nebraska got here in the first place.

But that would likely require a third and fourth season.

Should Nebraska land its first elite or even semi-elite quarterback in decades, and turn around its long and mysterious decline in defense, we might indeed be headed in the right direction.

But you have to play those seasons first to find out.

Come on. It'll be fun.

NO! it won't be. Even though you won't admit it , I can see from your posts that mediocrity is the new norm for you and alot of others on here.

If you're angling for "the dumbest post I've read on here in a long time!" it's gonna be a donnybrook between you and CM.

• Fire 1