5 Keys to a big 2016

Redux

Was posting this in another thread, then figured why not start a new topic? This is my own personal take, let me know what ya think.

This season boils down to these 5 things:

1- Beating Oregon: An early season matchup against one of the most consistently good teams of the last decade. We get em at home with a new QB and no Scott Frost. Meltdown against TCU could leave them ripe for the picking and set us up.

2- @ Wisconsin: They lose some key guys on the field and sideline I believe. I expect us for the first time in a long time to play with some urgency when revenge is a factor. Should have beat them last year, never beat em in Camp Randall. Could be a big win.

3- @ Ohio State: Not many expect us to win this one, I don't. I expect us to compete. Meyer has this team playing smart and they are deep everywhere. But what Buckeye squad shows up in 2016? They fell short last year and who can ever tell where Urban's head is at. Lets hope we can play trap opponent.

4- QB Play: Tommy played the best game of his career against UCLA. He was comfortable and it showed. Will that carry over or will he revert to old inconsistencies? If he does the latter he has legitimate options behind him for the first time and will be pushed. I think he can end his Senior campaign with a solid showing if he stops forcing his throws and is allowed to use his feet a bit more since there is finally some depth behind him.

5- Pass Defense: It sucked last year in crucial moments. Simple as that. Fix that to compliment our rushing defense and we can win games simply by holding our opponents to around 20 points. Between a loaded WR corps and a stable of capable RB's, we will score points in 2016.

• Fire 1

I don't see how individual games should be included in "keys to 2016". I think keys to season are more "traits" of a team which would lead to a successful season.

Here are my keys.

1. Establishing and committing to the run game. Doing this will make things so much easier for the rest of the team. It will allow the defense to rest, it will not put all the pressure on Armstrong to make plays in the passing game. NU should not be passing 40 times a game. It will be interesting to see how the I-back situation shakes out. Of course, the running game really depends on the o-line, which leads me to my next point.

2. Improved O-line play. This has been a broken record for the past 10-15 years. I have accepted the fact that Cav isn't going to rotate linemen. I am not going to argue the virtues of doing so or not doing so. I just want to see quality line play out there on the field. I want to see them dominating in the run game, and have exceptional run blockers on the field, regardless of how they pass block. Yes, I know they need to do both, but Cav went with the "better pass blockers" last year, and that didn't work out so great.

3. Getting something out of the D-line. The D-line was solid against the run last year, but they lose Collins and VV. Those are big losses, no matter what you guys think of their production. Will young guys be able to step up? The pass rush was horrendous last year. I know it's tough to get pass rush against teams who throw it quick, but the pass rush has to make things difficult on the QB and help out the secondary.

4. Playmaking in the secondary. I liked the guys playing the majority of the snaps in the secondary at the end of the year. I think they are quality players. They now need to be playmakers. They need to break up 50-50 balls and get interceptions when available. They also need to be able to come up and make tackles and not allow the big plays that plagued the defense last year.

5. Tommy playing smarter. I think an improved run game will help out Tommy significantly, and that includes getting TA a handful of designed QB runs. I understand that Tommy wants to be a playmaker, but if the team is making plays elsewhere, then Tommy won't feel the pressure to do it all by himself. Riley had a great point in his conversation with Shatel, in that Tommy has made "bad plays" worse by trying to force something and it results in a turnover or big loss. Tommy needs to know when to minimize the loss or throw the ball away. An 8 INT season would be a phenomenal stretch goal for Tommy, but if he can be in the 10-12 INT area, then I think the coaches would live with that.

• Fire 3

I don't see how individual games should be included in "keys to 2016".

A season is ultimately judged by Wins and Losses and how you performed in the big games. Those 3 games I listed are the biggest of the season at this point where we need to walk away with wins or at the very least look like we belonged on the field.

In response to your 5:

1- We will establish a run game, but understand it will not be our bread and butter. Passing is our main offensive weapon.

2- Hopefully the influx of talent we just brought in can fill any holes,consistency should be better.

3-Losing VV and Collins hurts. But we have Davis twins and Neal chomping at the bit. Raw talent, should contribute nicely.

4- This can only get better. I also expect Eric Lee to be a big contributor here.

5- He is a Senior. Time to go or get off the pot. He has guys behind him ready to take his job so he either gets better or gets replaced.

• Fire 1

I don't see how individual games should be included in "keys to 2016".

A season is ultimately judged by Wins and Losses and how you performed in the big games. Those 3 games I listed are the biggest of the season at this point where we need to walk away with wins or at the very least look like we belonged on the field.

In response to your 5:

1- We will establish a run game, but understand it will not be our bread and butter. Passing is our main offensive weapon.

2- Hopefully the influx of talent we just brought in can fill any holes,consistency should be better.

3-Losing VV and Collins hurts. But we have Davis twins and Neal chomping at the bit. Raw talent, should contribute nicely.

4- This can only get better. I also expect Eric Lee to be a big contributor here.

5- He is a Senior. Time to go or get off the pot. He has guys behind him ready to take his job so he either gets better or gets replaced.

Also, I personally think that if the BYU and Miami games would have gone different with the final plays of the game, our season would have been very different after that. Especially looking at the Oregon game, win that and the confidence on the team goes way up. That carries over into the Northwestern game and the start of conference play. If we win that, it's very conceivable we go into the Wisconsin game 7-0 and everyone is jacked about the season and how it may end. LOSE against Oregon and there can be doubt throughout the team and fan base as to if they can win big games the rest of the year.

Yes....individual games can be keys to having a successful year.

If we are talking strictly team chemistry:

1-Strong QB play

2-Offensive Line Consistency

3-Let Ozigbo or whoever carry a load

4-Fend off injuries

5-Improve Pass D

If we are talking coaching....

1-Play call consistency

2-Don't be afraid to pound the rock on 3rd down

3-Know TA's limits, let him run more

4-Game clock can be your friend

5-Game clock can be your worst enemy

If we are talking games...

1-Oregon

2-Northwestern

3-Wisconsin

4-Ohio State

5-Iowa

• Fire 1

I agree with 1995, games are a factor to consider here. Win a game or to where people didn't expect you to, and the team confidence goes up. Lose a game or two you shouldn't (look at last season) and confidence dwindles and you are trying to motivate players to get up and be ready for the next game and hope they respond well.

In the running game, hopefully we see different backs excel. I know some posters always post how we need to run the ball more, but, if we aren't doing it well it isn't logical to run more. For example, Cross running sweeps didn't play to his strengths. If we can play to our running backs strengths, it opens up the pass game much more and wears on a defense.