LSU fan finished watching that ALamo Bowl tape.

For those that didn't see my previous post, I'm an LSU fan, who just like you, lives and dies with football. Off season is pure torture for me. So anyway, the only part of the Alamo Bowl I caught live was when I walked into a noisy bar, the TV was muted, it was during that final chaotic play, and I couldn't figure out what was going on. So I've been looking for a game tape to watch. Well I got one and watched it last night.

Let me start off by saying how much I admire Nebraska's program. I know the program hasn't been living up to the high expectations of you fans for the last few years, LSU was the same in the 90's, but I've always liked the Huskers, the style of football, and everything. Always seemed like a real classy program. It also doesn't hurt that I dislike Michigan. Oh and by the way, during that whole ESPN-USC love fest leading up to the Rose Bowl, I was a staunch supporter of that mid 90's NU team being the best team ever to walk onto a college football field. There was no denying how much that team just dominated every opponent. Anyway, of course it turns out that not only is USC not the greatest team of all time, they weren't even the greatest team of the 2005 season. But I digress.

Anyway, my thoughts on the Alamo Bowl. I fealt like NU played with more tenacity and heart than Michigan. It was great watching their efforts. Now, that final play. When I first saw it, I couldn't help but to think NU should have been flagged for players on the field. I can understand a Michigan fan being irate about it at first glance. However, after further replays, although the NU contigent on the field was much more noticeable and larger, there were indeed Michigan players on the field too. So I guess that would be offsetting in that situation? Also, I couldn't tell but was the guy who finally got the tackle originally in the play? Not that it matters but I couldn't tell due to the camera not showing all players before the snap and the poor video quality of the tape. Not that it would have mattered, just interesting.

So anyway, my conclusion was offsetting penalties, game over. And I guess my reply to a Michigan fan who complains is, NU won that game before that play and you better not count on the officiating during some razzle dazzle play at the end to win. Unfortunately the tape ended about as soon as the game did and I once again missed all the commentary regarding it. So what was the announcers' final opinion other than the fact that Sun Belt refs should never be allowed to officiate big time bowls? What is the consensus among Husker fans? Sorry for the long post, but I really enjoyed watching the tape. Good luck with this upcoming season.

As I said in that previous thread, I'd love for a home and home vs LSU. I know it's not really a matchup built on tradition or past games but I think it would be cool and I really would love to have an excuse to make it up to Lincoln and check out the gameday atmosphere. OK, I just looked at your upcoming schedule and have a few favors to ask of Nebraska football. You realize you play two Louisiana teams but no LSU. Damn. Oh well. Take it easy on Nicholl's state. I'm not saying they have much of a chance either, but La. Tech can on occaision pull a Fresno-USC performance out once in awhile, so don't get suckered into that trap. Anyway, take out Colorado and Texas for me. BUT especially USC! That would make my day. Hell, rounds of beer on me if you do! :cheers

Again, I apologize for this long rambling post.

I'm not saying they have much of a chance either, but La. Tech can on occaision pull a Fresno-USC performance out once in awhile, so don't get suckered into that trap.

Checked the results of their schedule over the past five years. Doesn't seem that La. Tech had many quality wins over that span except perhaps Michigan State (yr?) and Fresno State (2005). Actually Tech had a decent year in '05. ANy idea on how well the team is stacked for '06? Is the program on the upswing or not?

So what was the announcers' final opinion other than the fact that Sun Belt refs should never be allowed to officiate big time bowls?

I believe that the announcers repeatedly questioned the referreeing throughout the game...but especially when the Huskers got back into it. After the game, the announcers still had a few jibes directed at the officiating. I think that the Michigan fans (at least those that posted on this board) acknowledged that their team lost the game on the field and not by the officiating. Personally, I love the sun belt refs ;)

Overall, I thought the game was a classic, regardless of who won. You have to understand that Nebraska was a decided underdog going into the game. Even if we gave Michigan a run for their money and kept the game close, we help our program. They, on the other hand, had everything to lose and little to gain.

Oh and by the way, during that whole ESPN-USC love fest leading up to the Rose Bowl, I was a staunch supporter of that mid 90's NU team being the best team ever to walk onto a college football field. There was no denying how much that team just dominated every opponent. Anyway, of course it turns out that not only is USC not the greatest team of all time, they weren't even the greatest team of the 2005 season. But I digress.

Well put...I couldn't agree more!

Great to have a supporter among LSU fans. Good luck to your Tigers. Hope they win at Florida. I'm not a big fan of Florida teams, but I like when the Huskers go against them.

i've wondered about something for a long time now. maybe someone who was actually at the game could help. In every replay i've seen, about the time players come onto the field, the scoreboard clock in the corner of my tv screen clicks from "0:00" to "Final". The play was still going on, but the tv's scoreboard said it was over. I'm curious to know if the scoreboard on the field also did the same thing - this might help to explain how there was so much confusion.

I was at the game, and admit I was trying to watch the play. The clock did go to 0:00 before the play was over. Players from both teams (yes more red than blue, but that doesn't matter) were on the field before the play was over. There should have been offsetting penalties and since the clock hit 0:00 before the play was over offsetting penalties mean GAME OVER.

I also know the majority of the refs didn't know what the hell was going on, as they left for the tunnel and the big stands were wheeled on the field almost seconds after brothers and bowman made the tackle. The NCAA stated the refs should have thrown offsetting penalties and the outcome of the game wouldn't have changed.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

i've wondered about something for a long time now. maybe someone who was actually at the game could help. In every replay i've seen, about the time players come onto the field, the scoreboard clock in the corner of my tv screen clicks from "0:00" to "Final". The play was still going on, but the tv's scoreboard said it was over. I'm curious to know if the scoreboard on the field also did the same thing - this might help to explain how there was so much confusion.

The clock only said 0:00 as the scoreboard itself doesn't say final. Thant's more of a TV thing. The confusion came when one of the laterals hit the ground after the clocks struck 0. At that point people started streaming onto the field. Reporters, the stage, players from both teams. From my angle it looked like the Michigan player was tackled and then after a second or so you saw a guy running with the ball. Boiwman and Brothers did an outstanding job staying with the play and not getting caught up in the excitement. They were practically engulfed by all the people down in the endzone area. Easily they could have started celebrating. Man I still get a little nervous on how close we were to losing. Heart, determination, teamwork, and coaching led to a great win.