Baltimore/supporting police

I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up on the board yet.

Baltimore police face changes after blistering report

A Justice Department report blasting the Baltimore Police Department for a pattern of unconstitutional behavior should help expedite a lengthy, costly and painful reform effort, city and federal officials said Wednesday.

So, I hear people talk politically like they support the police. In one thread it was listed as a conservative item that they support law enforcement.

Well.....in the case of Baltimore, what does it mean to "support law enforcement" when it's clear that the department has major issues that need to be addressed and it's going to be very hard to make the changes?

I debated posting it about 30 mins ago - glad that you did. The stats are horrific. Now if we could get each department to do that sort of evaluation, and get a national average we could work at improving the numbers. I'd hope that people will now agree that there is a systemic problem.

Yeah, all of this doesn't seem that surprising, and I'm sure it'll spur some efforts at change. Police are public institutions that serve the public -- so ultimately, I see their failings as everyone's failings. Recognizing problems is the start of a fix.